Time to purchase seeds

This topic contains 48 replies, has 13 voices, and was last updated by  cityhomesteader 9 years, 6 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 49 total)
  • Author

IceFire

Spent a good portion of this afternoon doing an inventory of my seeds. there are only a few that I need, and found I have a bunch of extras of others. Anybody wanna swap?

kymber

i have been wanting to swap seeds but am not sure of the regulations regarding seeds going across the border (i am in Canada)….i will check into it and see if it will be a problem…if it’s not i am game. but all you ladies down in the US should be able to swap seeds….this is a great idea IF!

Wingnut

We’re in Maryland about 90 minutes East of Washington DC and 90 minutes west of the Atlantic coast. Been gardening for quite awhile using hybrids but have only recently started using heirloom seeds. I have always liked the thought of producing what we eat.

I would love to know what ideas others might have for building durable greenhouses out of reused/scrounged material. Summers are hot and humid here and winters average in the high 30’s- low 40’s but we are almost always guaranteed a week or 10 days of weather in the 20’s. Have used low row covers and they work well for some things, but a greenhouse would/could really extend my growing season.

kymber

Wingnut – yer right after my heart!!! my hubby spent the past summer scrounging through other people’s garbage….he would drive around the nearby neighbourhoods looking for people doing renos – he not only got a bunch of useable wood and cabinets and whatnot – he also managed to get about 30 windows – 3 of which are 5 X 6 with handles that open and close and will make a great base for the greenhouse that he will start building this spring!

if you are interested in more ideas for greenhouses, here is a link to a great site for ideas:

http://www.instructables.com/tag/?q=greenhouse+windows&limit%3Atype%3Aid=on&type%3Aid=on&type%3Auser=on&type%3Acomment=on&type%3Agroup=on&type%3AforumTopic=on&type%3AforumTopic=on&sort=none” onclick=”window.open(this.href);return false

enjoy!

mmpaints
    Participant

Kymber, I exchanged seed with a man in India 3 years in a row without problems. I don’t see why anybody couldn’t ship you some.

kymber

i am under the impression from my CPN main man Scarecrow that you can’t ship seeds over the border into Canada unless you have a commercial license and proper authority from Canadian Border Security…but i promise to check it out and find out if we can send seeds to each other through the mail…if so…i am in…i got a lot of seeds saved!!! and would love to share them!

mmpaints
    Participant

ah, on the customs sheet I just wrote “gift’ in the box and put “no value” under the insurance thing.

mmpaints
    Participant

Oh, one more thing…… have you all noticed the increase in price in the seed catalogs? I keep my catalogs around, I don’t throw the old ones away often since I like to look at them so much. I see a 50% increase across the board in a couple catalogs.

kymber

MM – teehee – screw customs and border officials – lets just send each other “gifts”…oh if my hubby knew that i was breakin the law – bahahahaha!
    but yes – i have seen the same thing in regards to seed prices here in canada…somethings up?

Hi MMPAINTS..
    Not just the price hike but you get less seed in the packet.. I’m ordering seeds that I can save year to year from now on..

Slaw901

I have been planning to order from Pinetree but does anyone have a better suggestion.

Btw.. I know a Mennonite family that install replacement windows and they offered me as many old window that I want for free. (Yay!)

hi Slaw901,

Pinetree is a good company it is their packets that are small. There price is high for the ammount of seed they contain. In my honest opinion.
    http://www.highmowingseeds.com is a good Northern seed company located in Vermont. The prices are high, but you get more seed count unless stated..
    I’m ordering all my salad crops from them including my cucumbers.. Also ordering salad herbs and a few vegetables from http://www.richters.com good prices. $1.25 a packet for most of what I want. I’m ordering a lot of stuff from http://www.rareseed.com because I have purchased from them before I like them very much.
    Then finally all my Tomatoes, peppers, etc I’m ordering from http://www.totallytomatoes.com because they have an extensive array of tomatoes and I like very old fashioned OP and heirlooms..And they have my “king of the North Pepper” it is truly king with me… Bruce

kymber

Slaw – congrats on the windows! we can help each other with our plans and whatnot!

Slaw901

@kymber wrote:

Slaw – congrats on the windows! we can help each other with our plans and whatnot!

Sure that is why i’m here to learn from others and to offer my own paltry assistance.

kymber

exactly! and i’ll be glad to have you as my “green-house from windows” partner. when do you plan to start building yours?

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 49 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

American Preppers Network Forum