United Emirate flight

Welcome to APN! Forums General Discussion News National News United Emirate flight

This topic contains 9 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  Flightnurse1 2 weeks, 4 days ago.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author

Flightnurse1
    Participant

Anyone else pay attention to the United Emirates plane carrying 500 from the middle east had a 100 people fall sick on the flight with 10 being quarantined upon arrival to JFK? Scary stuff, just how a pandemic could get started.

Illini Warrior
    Participant

what’s scarier is two planes >>> second plane came out of Algeria and France has the sick passengers …

Flightnurse1
    Participant

Updated article today said ten passengers refused medical care. What, how can they refuse when you don’t know what is going on. Crazy.

Thanks for the heads up . I read this on the news ,but they didn’t bother putting out to much information on it , also who cares if vanilla ice was on the plane?

Being the paranoid person that I am what are the chances of this being a trail run to a pandemic style attack? or do I watch to much syfy ?

dmwalsh568
    Participant

Definitely bears watching since a number of the passengers came from Mecca which is a perfect breeding ground for a worldwide pandemic with all the pilgrims from around the world packed together….
    And no need to think this is bioterrorism, a line from the movie Contagion sums it up nicely: “Someone doesn’t have to weaponize the bird flu.The birds are doing that.”

dmwalsh568
    Participant

Latest updates seem to indicate it was just influenza, but that’s a pretty broad category so I’m still going to watch the blogs to see if anything more pops up, or if the news starts carrying anything about schools closing down in the NYC area due to illness…

Flightnurse1
    Participant

Did y’all see this story today out of Philadelphia? http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-6140985/A-dozen-passengers-two-American-Airlines-planes-quarantined-Philadelphia-falling-ill.html

This definitely raises my alarms. Also, did you see the WHO warning on Ebola today? I think something sinister is in the works.

dmwalsh568
    Participant

They keep saying flu in those articles like it’s nothing to worry about, but they never tell us which strain(s) of the flu. If it’s a novel flu virus then it could end up being as bad as the Spanish Flu…
    My trigger point will be if schools in any of these areas get closed due to too many students home sick. Until then I’ll just be checking my medical preps and filling in anything that I think I might need more of for a year of isolation.
    And yeah, the fact that Ebola is now in a city of 1 million people is definitely cause for alarm. I doubt any of this is bioterrorism – it’s much more likely to be mother nature just showing us who is the boss…

ReadyMom

Flu On A Plane? 10 Passengers On Emirates Flight Have Tested Positive
    https://www.forbes.com/sites/brucelee/2018/09/07/flu-on-a-plane-10-passengers-on-emirates-flight-have-tested-positive/#1c6bf1552034

Influenza confirmed for sick passengers on Emirates flight
    https://www.upi.com/Top_News/US/2018/09/06/4741536232352/?sl=8

Flightnurse1
    Participant

As a medical professional, this is probably my biggest fear. When you study the Spanish Flu outbreak in 1917, it was shear numbers of people who were infected and dying due to limited and no real medical care back then. Fast forward to today, if 40% of a population contracted the flu, 15-20% would need immediate hospitalization with ventilatory management, antivirals, and such, the issue is we just don’t have enough beds and equipment for an outbreak like a Avian Flu. Plus, it would take the CDC 6-8 months to develop a vaccine, that’s one reason I prep to stay away from people and keep my family safe!

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Assign a menu in the Left Menu options.
Assign a menu in the Right Menu options.