Using Foil for a faraday cage

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    Carborendum

I have looked all over (cyberspace and real space) for a definitive answer for how much shielding is required to protect against an EMP. Many people have said that foil can be used as adequate protection. But I see no numbers or experiments to back this up. They say a cell phone or radio was blocked. Fine. But an EMP is much more powerful than a cell phone or radio. I also hear from HAMs that if they boost the power to the signal, it is able to penetrate foil cages. So obviously, at some point foils are no longer sufficient protection.

What are the numbers?

Since I have yet to find an authoritative answer, I’m going to call myself an authority since I’ve spent a lot of time researching and thinking about it. And so far, I haven’t come across anyone else who has spent the time to consider the theory behind it.

To answer the question, I am going off of theory alone. I have no equipment to do a practical experiment. And I have no one who is knowledgeable enough on the topic who has an interest in prepping/survivalism to give me more expert advice. I’d invite all who have appropriate equipment to test my idea. So here it is:

30 gauge minimum.

Why? Here is my reasoning.

1) I first assume that we are talking about steel. The numbers would be slightly different for other materials, but only slightly. 2) For gamma rays (which I do have numbers for) 9.9 inches of steel is sufficient for complete shielding. 3)The most conservative calculation shows that gamma rays are about 1000 times more powerful than microwaves.

Thus 9.9/1000 = 0.01 inches +/-. This corresponds to about 30 gauge.

I recognize that my logic has gaping holes (such as the shielding effect from gamma rays is completely different than the shielding effect of a faraday cage. But until someone can show me something more definitive, it’s the best I’ve got.

Does anyone have anything more concrete? Anyone have equipment to test this?

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
American Preppers Network Forum