Vacuum and Mylar

This topic contains 2 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Illini Warrior 2 months ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

Pathfinder28
    Participant

Is it possible to vacuum seal a mylar bag with a foodsaver?

dmwalsh568
    Participant

Theoretically yes. I bought some specially made mylar bags designed to be vacuum sealed. But I haven’t had a chance to use them since I also got oxygen absorbers and regular ziplock style mylar bags in the same order and have been using them up first.

The ones I got are from mylarbagsdirect.com and are the 7 mil vacfoil bags which come with an interesting warning:

*(Note) We have found that because of the thickness of these bags, some of the cheaper vacuum sealer units may have trouble getting a good seal on them because the heat bars do not get hot enough. It may be necessary to seal twice back to back to get a good seal with some units. We have a Cabela’s Pro series machine and the bags work great with it. We also tried a cheap FoodSaver and that is where we found that we had to cycle it twice to get a good seal.

Hope this is helpful.

Illini Warrior
    Participant

you want at least an inch wide band of heat welding on the big bags – the shift of weight is enough to bust the seam open otherwise ….

I use one of my vac machines to do a quiky seal on the 1/2 gallon bags – then go back with a clothes iron and add the wider weld …

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.