Want to start a survivalist magazine

Welcome to APN! Forums Media Central Books Want to start a survivalist magazine

This topic contains 5 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Cin 3 months, 3 weeks ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

Legion489
    Participant

OK, here goes. After having written for most of the survivalist magazines (ASG, SURVIALIST, Kurt Saxon’s US MILITIA) and newsletters (Live Free DIRECTIONS, REGION 5 REPORT, Dark Knight SURVIVOR, American Survivalist Assn., few dozen more I can’t think of off hand), I can’t find any GOOD survivalist magazines out there. So I want to start my own magazine, one that is for survivalists, by survivalists.

Writers are not a problem, material is not a problem, a printer is not a problem (always looking for better/cheaper/whatever of course! Even BACKWOODSMAN changed printers after many years when they found someone better!), however, money and ad men are a problem! I have read up on the subject of starting/printing a magazine and I know that I don’t know squat about starting and running a magazine!

Of course that didn’t stop Kurt Saxon (a friend of mine, now in a nursing home) from starting THE SURVIVOR/US MILITIA/VICTORIA and of course THE POOR MAN’S JAMES BOND. However Kurt self published the magazine, took no adverts and seems to have gotten into it at the right time, after failing twice, first with his first “book” (more of a pamphlet) sold only to police which failed amazingly, and his first version of SURVIVOR, which he then put out again later.

OK, my question here is, anyone know how to put out a magazine? Know anything about advertising? What about distribution/mailing? Interested in putting up money when/if it looks like we might get it off the ground? And, of course, would be willing to write for us if/when!

Drop me a line at Legion489@hotmail.com if interested. Put MAGAZINE (yes, all caps! I need to see it in all the clutter!) in the subject line!

Cin
    Participant

Many authors are finding it is better to have a website, and develop followers, so that when you do decide to branch out, you will already have a list of people who might pay you for printed info.

I would suggest building a website, offer decent content, have regular columns on different topics. Be ready to write the columns yourself until you get writers.

Get a discussion forum going, so you have people contributing, and you can even scout them for potential columns in future issues.

Offer a service – such as reviewing survival/prep books, tools or whatever, etc.

Have a few experts on board on whatever topic as you grow.

Have at least 6 issues all ready before you ever announce anything. Nothing makes a reader more angry than to be promised something and then it never being delivered. Don’t be scraping together content at the last minute. You should have plenty of content to fill at least six issues, and better if you have 12.

When you have the 6 issues ready to go (online or in print):

Advertise the new mag everywhere, have a sample issue ready for advertisers to look at, and get out there to find ads to fund it (that’s the hard part). While you may not get the big companies to advertise, look into alternative places – river guides, tourist chambers of commerce, seed catalogs, log home builders, etc.

If you’re online only – you might look into monetizing the website. You can offer content for free, and advertisers can pay for slots.

Next, before you put out a single issue, pre-subscribe – offer a discount or some “gift” to people who will pay upfront to receive the mag. The gift can be an inexpensive survival tool, a hat, or even 2 extra issues for “free.”

In short – look here at APN…when it was in the other format, they had over 20,000 subscribers. Most of it is lost, content and subscribers.

It might be worth your time to talk to the owners of APN and see if you can revive what was lost using this site.

My 2 cents, as I’m not sure what’s going on behind the scenes, only that this site isn’t what it used to be. 🙁

Legion489
    Participant

Thanks for the list/help! That is a lot of what I have been hearing, start a web site and build a following. Some of the authors that have agreed to write already have a web site/blog/following and are willing to open them up to us and promote the new magazine if/when we get it off the ground.

Writers are not a problem, I know quite a few well known survivalist writers who have agreed to write for the magazine, and have a huge amount of content to draw from outside of what they might write as well.

I wrote book reviews for years and have a huge pile of reviews (and books to be reviewed), so that is covered as well.

Many of the authors are experts in their field and can cover a wide range of topics outside of their field of expertise as well. A homesteader had better be a good “jack of all trades” in addition to their chosen field of expertise.

Yes, nothing bothers me/people than hearing of a new magazine (or whatever) and then waiting, and waiting, and waiting for the first (or second, or third, or…) issue to finally arrive! As I said, we have enough content to fill a dozen magazines now, just need to edit/collate/sort them out in to various subjects and decide what subjects we want to start with, on top of the various regular features that would be in every issue. Nothing bugs me more than a theme issue with nothing but one subject that I don’t care about and no info other than that subject.

*When you have the 6 issues ready to go (online or in print):

*Advertise the new mag everywhere, have a sample issue ready for *advertisers to look at, and get out there to find ads to fund it (that’s *the hard part). While you may not get the big companies to advertise, look *into alternative places – river guides, tourist chambers of commerce, seed *catalogs, log home builders, etc.

OK, now that is the type of help I am looking for. However I still need an ad “man/woman/person/who ever-whatever” to handle and coordinate that, preferably someone who has some knowledge of the subject. We have several offers of adverts if/when we get started, but not nearly enough, or big enough, to get us off the ground.

*If you’re online only – you might look into monetizing the website. You *can offer content for free, and advertisers can pay for slots.

Some want to do that, and we might, but I like to have something I can hold in my hands. Maybe both. Also if your computer goes down (EMP, battery died, left at home when out and about, gets dropped, wet, yada, yada) it doesn’t matter what you got on it. At least a book or magazine can be used with out electricity, although it might need a water proof cover!

*Next, before you put out a single issue, pre-subscribe – offer a discount *or some “gift” to people who will pay upfront to receive the mag. The gift *can be an inexpensive survival tool, a hat, or even 2 extra issues for *“free.”

Again, what I am looking for as to ideas.

*In short – look here at APN…when it was in the other format, they had over *20,000 subscribers. Most of it is lost, content and subscribers.

*It might be worth your time to talk to the owners of APN and see if you *can revive what was lost using this site.

*My 2 cents, as I’m not sure what’s going on behind the scenes, only that *this site isn’t what it used to be. 🙁

Yup, this used to be a great site, now it is as dead as my youth and salad days (when I was cold, wet and green – Julius, ruler of Rome). but getting a hold of them and finding out what happened is a great idea. Dropped the publishers of a few other magazines that I know for help/idea/whatever, so far only one has responded.

Any one else have any idea? LET ME KNOW!

Cin
    Participant

To get those sponsor ads:

You won’t find an experience marking person for free. You pretty much have to do it yourself.

Write a form request letter for selling ads. Explain your product, why they need to advertise in it, and give them a sample copy/facsimile of what the magazine will look like. If there is to be a website, have it already up and running, so they can go check you out. Don’t have any blank icon click through screens that say “Coming soon.” Fill every page. Make sure you have a subscriber and or click-through counter so they can see your audience numbers.

Find someone to professionally EDIT the letter so that it is perfect.

Personalize the form letter as needed. Shoot it out to anyone and everyone you can think of who might benefit from advertising in your mag. It helps a LOT to say you have XXX pre-subscribed already. Companies want to know the size of the audience they can reach.

Legion489
    Participant

Thanks Cin! I’m getting more help from you than pretty much anyone else. I appreciate that.

Cin
    Participant

No problem. 🙂

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

American Preppers Network Forum