Waste Management

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Art Underground 1 month ago.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

I am a single man, building my retirement location with an weathered eye on preparedness.

So far, I have access a water well, with pump and solar panels that run the pump, loading holding tanks (large water barrels). At this time, the water is safe to drink with no treatment and needs only minor matter filtering.

My concern is with human waste management. I only have about 1 to 1.5 feet of topsoil, before I am either into the sandstone or a very useless clay. Also, where i am putting my cabin, everything is down hill. I have been considering a composting toilet solution and letting the product from that composting seep through the clay to the garden area as a natural fertilizer and somewhat watering source.

Then I read about dysentery being caused by solid human waste used as a fertilizer.

What is the truth on this? What are the suggestions for a single person long term survival toilet that will not make us sick and is easily upgraded to support upto a family of four to six people?

Thanks!

Art Underground
    Participant

I have been doing humanure for years now and I have never gotten sick.
    The problem people have with doing this is that those who get sick are not doing it correctly either because they failed to research the process correctly or they simply tried to just throw the waste onto their crops thinking it would be ok.
    I really don’t know exactly what they did wrong but if they had done the proper research they would know that it takes between 1-2 years to convert the waste into a usable source of fertilizer based upon how you do it.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Assign a menu in the Left Menu options.
Assign a menu in the Right Menu options.