Water Purification

This topic contains 19 replies, has 12 voices, and was last updated by  FussyOldHen 6 years, 8 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
  • Author

mltplmom

I wanted to pass along the following -cheap -easily constructed – safe – effective
    solution for purifying water.
    Please research: BIOSAND WATER FILTER.
    You will find all the info on how to -for about 25.00 make your own.
    This will allow you to take water out of any river ,stream ,well, etc and produce endless amounts of clean
    safe ,99% disease free water.
    you can take the plans and diagrams for the biosand filter and adapt your own version using heavy PVC pipe
    instead of concrete for the outer form. That is what we are doing.
    These sand filters are being used all over the world to give poor people safe clean water to drink.
    Knowledge empowers.

kymber

excellent piece of advice! can’t wait to learn more – thanks mltplmom!

CoM

This is an important read. See the link at the end of this post for a supplier.

http://www.survivaltopics.com/survival/better-than-bleach-use-calcium-hypochlorite-to-disinfect-water/” onclick=”window.open(this.href);return false

Better than Bleach: Use Calcium Hypochlorite to Disinfect Water

Using granular calcium hypochlorite to disinfect water is a two step process.

To make a stock of chlorine solution (do not drink this!) dissolve 1 heaping teaspoon (about one-quarter of an ounce) of high-test (78%) granular calcium hypochlorite for each two gallons (eight liters) of water. To disinfect water add one part of the chlorine solution to 100 parts water to be treated. Let the mixture sit for at least one-half hour before drinking.

Be sure to obtain the dry granular calcium hypochlorite since once it is made into a liquid solution it will begin to degrade and eventually become useless as a disinfecting agent. This also means you should make your treated drinking water in small batches, for example enough for a few weeks at a time at most.

Another plus for using calcium hypochlorite to disinfect water for emergency use is that a little goes a very long way. A 1-pound pag of calcium hypochlorite in granular form typically costs only a few $US dollars and can be obtained in any swimming pool supply section of your hardware store or online. This amount will treat up to 10,000 gallons of drinking water, which is enough for a family of four for some six or seven years at a gallon per day per person!

Calcium hypochlorite will store for a long period of time and remain effective as a chemical drinking water treatment. So get rid of the household bleach and buy a can of Calcium hypochlorite for your disaster emergency water disinfection needs. It lasts far longer and treats far more water than the traditional chlorine bleach water disinfection treatment.

Gets past the bleach storage problem

Many outdoorsmen, survivalists, and households preparing for emergency disasters rely upon common household bleach as a disinfecting agent to make water safe to drink.

Bleach will destroy most (but NOT all!) disease causing organisms (boiling water to make it safe to drink is always the best method).

What is not well known is Calcium Hypochlorite is far better for chemically disinfecting water.

Old Way: Using Bleach to Disinfect Water

Those of us who have emergency preparedness stocks of survival food and survival gear often keep a gallon or two of unscented household bleach on hand for making safe drinking water in large quantities. Bleach is often the chemical of choice because it is commonly available and frequently mentioned when discussing the how-to’s of drinking water.

Typical fresh household chlorine bleach has about 5.35% chlorine content (be sure to read the label). To use household bleach for disinfecting water:

Add two drops of bleach per quart or liter of water.
    Stir it well.
    Let the mixture stand for a half hour before drinking.
    If the water is cloudy with suspended particles:

First filter the water as best you can.
    Double the amount of bleach you add to the water.

Why Using Bleach to Disinfect Contaminated Water is a Problem

A little known problem with long term storage of bleach in your disaster emergency supply cache is that it degrades over time. Consulting a Chlorox bleach representative produced this statement:

“We recommend storing our bleach at room temperatures. It can be stored for about 6 months at temperatures between 50 and 70 degrees Fahrenheit. After this time, bleach will be begin to degrade at a rate of 20% each year until totally degraded to salt and water. Storing at temperatures much higher than 70 degrees Fahrenheit could cause the bleach to lose its effectiveness and degrade more rapidly. However, if you require 6% sodium hypochlorite, you should change your supply every 3 months.”

I cringe to think how many people have expired bleach in their disaster emergency kits that will be used for treating polluted water. Even what are considered reliable sources of information such as the EPA and the Federal Emergency Management Agency FEMA will show you how to use bleach to disinfect water but will leave out this exceedingly important piece of information.

So if bleach is unreliable for long term storage in emergency preparedness kits then what other commonly available chemical methods of disinfecting water are there? As it turns out a better solution is easily available.

Use Calcium Hypochlorite for Disinfect Water

Calcium hypochlorite is one of the best chemical disinfectants for water, better than household bleach by far. It destroys a variety of disease causing organisms including bacteria, yeast, fungus, spores, and viruses.
    Calcium Hypochlorite is widely available for use as swimming pool chlorine tablets or white powder that is much more stable than chlorine. This is often known as “pool shock”.

A 1-pound bag of calcium hypochlorite in granular form will treat up to 10,000 gallons of drinking water

How to Disinfect Water Using Calcium Hypochlorite

Using granular calcium hypochlorite to disinfect water is a two step process.

To make a stock of chlorine solution (do not drink this!) dissolve 1 heaping teaspoon (about one-quarter of an ounce) of high-test (78%) granular calcium hypochlorite for each two gallons (eight liters) of water.

To disinfect water add one part of the chlorine solution to 100 parts water to be treated. Let the mixture sit for at least one-half hour before drinking.

Be sure to obtain the dry granular calcium hypochlorite since once it is made into a liquid solution it will begin to degrade and eventually become useless as a disinfecting agent. This also means you should make your treated drinking water in small batches, for example enough for a few weeks at a time at most.

Another plus for using calcium hypochlorite to disinfect water for emergency use is that a little goes a very long way. A 1-pound pag of calcium hypochlorite in granular form typically costs only a few $US dollars and can be obtained in any swimming pool supply section of your hardware store or online. This amount will treat up to 10,000 gallons of drinking water, which is enough for a family of four for some six or seven years at a gallon per day per person!

Calcium hypochlorite will store for a long period of time and remain effective as a chemical drinking water treatment. So get rid of the household bleach and buy a can of Calcium hypochlorite for your disaster emergency water disinfection needs. It lasts far longer and treats far more water than the traditional chlorine bleach water disinfection treatment.

The brand that is featured in this article is from a company named “In the Swim”. I have looked all over to find any brand of super shock that was even close to 78% Calcium hypochlorite and could not find any.

I ordered mine directly from In the Swim. The site says that it is on “clearance” so I would order soon. Maybe they plan to stop carrying it or something.

http://www.intheswim.com/Pool-Chemicals/Pool-Shock-and-Super-Chlorinating-Chemicals/Super-Pool-Shock/” onclick=”window.open(this.href);return false

kymber

wow Com – i had no idea and had never heard of this! thanks so much!

GreenGlove

Bio sand filter search brings up very good reffs. I like this one especially.
    http://www.shared-source-initiative.com/biosand_filter/biosand.html” onclick=”window.open(this.href);return false
    I did *not* know about the racoon parasite problem! 😯
    Coupled with hypochlorite, or solar sterilization, it is very promising.

ReadyMom

Please note that there are safety issues to consider when using/storing this chemical! See here: Water Purification: Calcium Hypochlorite/’Pool Shock

From this recommended post:

! BE SURE TO CAREFULLY READ AND FOLLOW ALL HANDLING DIRECTIONS AND HEED ALL WARNINGS.It is always a good idea to be using calcium hypochlorite in an EXTREMELY well ventilated area, (i.e.OUTSIDE!). If calcium hypochlorite becomes contaminated by foreign substances it can cause combustion. Do not breathe the dust or get it in your eyes. This stuff is not Play Dough.

islp55

Thanks alot for the posting.

D_Loki
    Participant

When I used to work retail, at one point a less than bright individual dumped damaged containers of pool chemical AND damaged bags of fertilizer into the trash compactor along with all of the cardboard. Can you say BONFIRE!!!!!!!!! Calcium Hypochlorite is a powerful oxidizer, and will react with a variety of other chemicals. In the case of the trash compactor, the chemical reaction brought about by mixing the fertilizer with the pool chemicals, created two of the necessities of a fire, heat and oxygen. Add the dry cardboard for fuel and you have the Fire Triangle trifecta! Store it safely.

D_Loki
    Participant

In reference to Greengloves post on the raccoon poop, yes chemicals will help to make water potable. There are other worries to consider that bleach will not take care of. Heavy metals (lead, or mercury), bacterial spores (which can survive chemical and heat treatment), organic materials, etc. So a good filtration system, such as the bio-sand filter, is a necessity along with the chemical purification. In a vital emergency situation, chemical purification will lessen the hazards of contaminated water, but will not make it PURE. Do not rest all of your purification needs on chemicals.

GreenGlove

Solar pasteurization of water is an important “third world” development that is being perused now. This Wiki ref is good (love that site, and support it!) It is where we would be if all things fail as we see it starting to happen now. Seems likely or this discussion wouldn’t be happening.
    http://solarcooking.wikia.com/wiki/Water_pasteurization” onclick=”window.open(this.href);return false
    Also sterilization
    http://www.communicationagents.com/sepp/2006/03/24/lowtech_solar_water_purification_it_works.htm” onclick=”window.open(this.href);return false
    I think a combination of sand filter and solar treatment would yield potable water. If you are worried about heavy metals, a solar still, made with an old sliding patio door and catchment would take care of it, done with a design that can be found with several variations on this, http://www.thefarm.org/charities/i4at/surv/sstill.htm” onclick=”window.open(this.href);return false
    or adding a filtration with activated carbon. It starts getting complicated that way. How much infrastructure do you want showing?

tigger2

If your water is nasty, you will get sick and may die. You got to have clean water. I live in a very small town. Our water supply is a spring. It is an artesian well that forms a spring. You can get a drink right out of the spring. I have done that many times. Here is a picture of the spring.

Oops that is the wrong picture.

I am looking for the picture. Here is a picture of my Black Hawk.

Here we go. This is our water supply. When it gets really hot, I go there and take my shoes and socks off and put my feet in that cold water.

tigger2

when you think about filtering water think of it as running the water through a window screen wire. The smaller the particles in the water the smaller squares needed on the screens. I have a bunch of Brita charcoal filters. They will clean the water up pretty good. They do pretty good at getting particles, chemicals and bad tastes out of the water. I plan on boiling our drinking water to kill any pests in it. I took a standard Brita charcoal pitcher filter and was playing around with it. I took some 2 inch PVC water pipe, 2 couplers and a Brita water filter and came up with this.
    This is a pic. I put a 2 inch rubber O ring in the top next to the filter and ran some hot glue around the bottom of the top coupler. I will run the water through my filter and then boil it.
    water filter assembly 3

tigger2

This a picture of my homemade filter lying flat on a table top.

This is picture showing the actual filter and the 2 inch O ring.

tigger2

This a picture of my homemade filter lying flat on a table top.

This is picture showing the actual filter and the 2 inch O ring.

tcr19

We bought a four-year supply of MMS mineral supplement. This is two liquids you mix to form chlorine dioxide, which is a very powerful water sterilizer. Here are two links below, but there are many more.

http://www.mmshealthy4life.com/mms-in-action.html” onclick=”window.open(this.href);return false

http://miraclemineral.org/” onclick=”window.open(this.href);return false

Many people also take this to ‘detoxify’ or to treat viral and bacterial illnesses. Here is a link for what many are taking this for:

http://JimHumble.biz/” onclick=”window.open(this.href);return false

As a professional skeptic of anything not big pharma (but not a fan of big pharma) I had my doubts. But I can tell you that I have taken it at the onset of several viral and other illnesses and it seems to knock it out.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

American Preppers Network Forum