• Advertisement

Measles Outbreak

Latest Disaster Information from Across the Country

Moderator: North Idaho Patriot

Measles Outbreak

Postby vasilikinc » Sun Jan 25, 2015 7:23 pm

Anyone else concerned that this may turn out to be a contagion? Just read this article and it pretty much summed up everything I've been thinking about in regards to this.

https://www.intellihub.com/contagion-mm ... spreading/
vasilikinc

Re: Measles Outbreak

Postby dmwalsh568 » Sun Jan 25, 2015 8:05 pm

I'm not terribly worried, since folks who got vaccinated are mostly safe. But I'm concerned that the anti-vaccine crowd is putting everyone at risk. This incident started in a cluster of unvaccinated kids and spread to not just other intentionally unvaccinated kids but also kids too young to be vaccinated and some folks who didn't get full protection from their shot. No vaccine is 100% effective, but if enough people are protected then everyone is better off. Look up the term herd immunity. Unfortunately clusters of anti-vaccine folks have become the reality in some areas and they can become a pool of contagion.

Not sure how to fix this, because it's really hard to fix stupid. I guess nature will have to take its course and kids will die because their parents are uneducated or just dumb.

Sorry for the rant, this just really gets under my skin.
dmwalsh568

Postby Blazer2 » Sun Jan 25, 2015 9:13 pm

If it's not one thing it's another. What was it last year?
And the year before?
Yes I am worried about measles.
Blazer2

Postby Blondie » Sun Jan 25, 2015 9:49 pm

I'm not understanding the panic so maybe someone can clue me in.

Measles seems to be infecting unvaccinated people. So, if you have had the measles, or you have been vaccinated against measles, were required to have the booster, etc, where is the concern?

It's my understanding if you've actually had the measles you are indeed immune from it.
Living In A Powder Keg & Giving Off Sparks
Blondie

Postby Senah » Sun Jan 25, 2015 10:17 pm

Blondie wrote:I'm not understanding the panic so maybe someone can clue me in.

Measles seems to be infecting unvaccinated people. So, if you have had the measles, or you have been vaccinated against measles, were required to have the booster, etc, where is the concern?

It's my understanding if you've actually had the measles you are indeed immune from it.

You cannot get the first dose of the vaccine until you are at least 12 months old. So, all infants are at serious risk.
Senah

Learn everything you can, anytime you can, from anyone you can - there will always come a time when you will be grateful you did. ~ Sarah Caldwell
Senah
Montana Preppers Network
Montana Preppers Network

Postby Senah » Sun Jan 25, 2015 10:34 pm

Senah

Learn everything you can, anytime you can, from anyone you can - there will always come a time when you will be grateful you did. ~ Sarah Caldwell
Senah
Montana Preppers Network
Montana Preppers Network

Postby Permafrost » Mon Jan 26, 2015 1:11 am

dmwalsh568 wrote:Not sure how to fix this, because it's really hard to fix stupid. I guess nature will have to take its course and kids will die because their parents are uneducated or just dumb.

Some people believe in living a natural span, this is not stupid it is just a personal preference. Lots of people know that vaccines save lives, but they still choose not to vaccinate because of a variety of reasons. To say that someone who does not vaccinate is stupid is in itself a ignorant statement when you do not know the reasons behind their view. Not getting vaccinated is along the same lines as someone having a DNR order in place or not seeking medical care even in the event of a life-threatening condition. Some people believe the world is to crowded and they choose to live only the amount of time nature will let them, this is their choice.
Permafrost
Alaska Preppers Network
Alaska Preppers Network

Postby Lynda » Mon Jan 26, 2015 6:06 am

dmwalsh568 wrote:I'm not terribly worried, since folks who got vaccinated are mostly safe. But I'm concerned that the anti-vaccine crowd is putting everyone at risk. This incident started in a cluster of unvaccinated kids and spread to not just other intentionally unvaccinated kids but also kids too young to be vaccinated and some folks who didn't get full protection from their shot. No vaccine is 100% effective, but if enough people are protected then everyone is better off. Look up the term herd immunity. Unfortunately clusters of anti-vaccine folks have become the reality in some areas and they can become a pool of contagion.

Not sure how to fix this, because it's really hard to fix stupid. I guess nature will have to take its course and kids will die because their parents are uneducated or just dumb.

Sorry for the rant, this just really gets under my skin.

I agree with you. If people don't want to vaccinate their kids then they should keep their kids at home and not risk exposing those too young to be vaccinated. Why? Because it's selfish.
THINK......It's not illegal yet.

I Am Responsible For What I Say. I Am Not Responsible For What You Understand.
Lynda
Massachusetts Preppers Network
Massachusetts Preppers Network

Postby divers351 » Mon Jan 26, 2015 9:42 am

The problem with allowing people to not get vaccinated is that viruses mutate. When everyone is vaccinated the number of hosts is small, thus keeping the chance and occurrence of mutations small. As the number of hosts rise the risk of a "bad" mutation also rises. IF a mutation occurs which makes the vaccine less or non effective I will be placing blame squarely on the shoulders of those hosts.

Aside - My input is the same as for Ebola. The very real issue with the Ebola infections numbers is the increase in hosts which substantially risk "bad" mutations. I keep stating bad since viruses mutate constantly - general society only cares about the ones that effect humans in a negative manner.
divers351

Postby danthman114 » Mon Jan 26, 2015 10:07 am

my family, all vaccinated, went to disneyland a few weeks ago are all fine. PEOPLE, DONT PANIC! the ones who need to worry are the idiots who dont get vaccinated. theres a reason people are living longer now than before...
danthman114

Postby ALurker » Mon Jan 26, 2015 10:25 am

<g> Anyone else wondering where such a large number of un-vaccianated people came from?
I don't buy that it's a large number of unvaccinated Americans since you have to get vaccanated to enter the public school systems. I'd be willing to bet that were seeing a large uptake in viruses that we have not seen in large clusters in the US for years is because of unvaccanated illegal imigrants walking over our southern (and northern) boarders.

The other thing that is interesting to me is why all the sudden concern over measles ?
It's not more deadly then the flu.... If it was something like Polio or small pocs I could see the concern. Myself and my whole family have either had or have been vaccanated for measlses.
“Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote!” — Benjamin Franklin

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it."
..... COL. JOHN "JEFF" COOPER
ALurker

Postby dmwalsh568 » Mon Jan 26, 2015 11:29 am

Permafrost wrote:
dmwalsh568 wrote:Not sure how to fix this, because it's really hard to fix stupid. I guess nature will have to take its course and kids will die because their parents are uneducated or just dumb.

Some people believe in living a natural span, this is not stupid it is just a personal preference. Lots of people know that vaccines save lives, but they still choose not to vaccinate because of a variety of reasons. To say that someone who does not vaccinate is stupid is in itself a ignorant statement when you do not know the reasons behind their view. Not getting vaccinated is along the same lines as someone having a DNR order in place or not seeking medical care even in the event of a life-threatening condition. Some people believe the world is to crowded and they choose to live only the amount of time nature will let them, this is their choice.

If the vaccines were being given when folks are adults and responsible for themselves, then I'd agree with you (well, I'd still consider them stupid, but everyone has the right to choose their own level of risk.) The problem is that vaccines are given to children and parents are making life and death decisions for their kids. And those that choose the "natural span" route aren't just risking their own kids, they are risking other kids who aren't old enough to get vaccinated yet. That's selfish at best and I'll continue to call it stupid because of the impact it has on kids who can't choose for themselves.

Risking yourself is one thing, but risking others is bad for the community. And no, I'm not going to advocate for mandatory vaccinations, but I'm sure as heck going to call people who risk others selfish, stupid, or both. I feel sorry for the kids impacted by this since they can't choose their parents.

As Forest Gump put it, "Stupid is as stupid does."
dmwalsh568

Postby dmwalsh568 » Mon Jan 26, 2015 11:42 am

ALurker wrote:<g> Anyone else wondering where such a large number of un-vaccianated people came from?
I don't buy that it's a large number of unvaccinated Americans since you have to get vaccanated to enter the public school systems. I'd be willing to bet that were seeing a large uptake in viruses that we have not seen in large clusters in the US for years is because of unvaccanated illegal imigrants walking over our southern (and northern) boarders.

The other thing that is interesting to me is why all the sudden concern over measles ?
It's not more deadly then the flu.... If it was something like Polio or small pocs I could see the concern. Myself and my whole family have either had or have been vaccanated for measlses.

Because it's highly contagious and there is an effective vaccine, but no effective treatment for the afflicted. Yes, most people will survive it, but there are fairly common complications. From the CDC:

<http://www.cdc.gov/measles/about/complications.html>

Ear infections occur in about one out of every 10 children with measles and can result in permanent hearing loss.

And severe complications:
As many as one out of every 20 children with measles gets pneumonia, the most common cause of death from measles in young children.
About one child out of every 1,000 who get measles will develop encephalitis (swelling of the brain) that can lead to convulsions and can leave the child deaf or mentally retarded.
For every 1,000 children who get measles, one or two will die from it.

I think the biggest thing is that it had been eliminated from the USA back in 2000 and only folks from outside the US would bring it in occasionally. But with so many anti-vaccine folks here and there, these foreign diseases can gain a foothold and become reestablished.
dmwalsh568

Postby ALurker » Mon Jan 26, 2015 11:49 am

At one time in our recent past, these kinds of things would have been stopped at our borders or at the international air ports, ports etc. <just saying>

I hate to put out a conspirioucy theory but here's food for thought: I'll bet the drug companies that make the vaccines are going to get a real boost out of this mini-epedmic. As with all things, follow the money and power benefactors.

What a great epicenter - DisneyLand - hmmmm!
“Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote!” — Benjamin Franklin

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it."
..... COL. JOHN "JEFF" COOPER
ALurker

Postby Gunns » Mon Jan 26, 2015 1:47 pm

My son got both measles and mumps before he was old enough to get vaccinated. I think this anti-vaccinated crowd is endangering too many people. My whole family came down with polio just before the vaccine was available.
Gunns
Texas Preppers Network
Texas Preppers Network

Next

Return to National Disaster Alert