• Advertisement

Florida US 95 shut down due to fires

Latest Disaster Information from Across the Country

Moderator: North Idaho Patriot

Florida US 95 shut down due to fires

Postby CajunDaddys_girl » Mon Feb 28, 2011 4:14 pm

I-95 and US 1 North and South Bound have been shut down from SR 46 to SR 442 due to a 400 acre and growing brush fire burning at the Volusia County / Brevard County Line..
CajunDaddys_girl

Re: Florida US 95 shut down due to fires

Postby CajunDaddys_girl » Tue Mar 01, 2011 8:08 am

I-95 is now closed from SR 46 in Seminole County North to SR 44 in Volusia County.
The fire has moved from Brevard County North to Volusia county and is now at 10k acres active burn with a possible 10 0/0 contained.
15 Fire Agencies are currently battling the fire
1 home lost to fire
6 dettached shed have been lost
Homes evacuated.
Shelters open.
School bus service has been suspended from SR 46 north to SR 44 in areas near the fires...
Currentl local state of emergency has been delared for Brevard fire zone.

The great News: We finally have rain which has dropped more water than expected. The fire Dept.has said this will help gain some control of the fires...
CajunDaddys_girl

Postby roger o » Tue Mar 01, 2011 8:55 am

We're supposed to head down to Palm Beach County from New York this evening. Can you suggest an alternate route around the fire?
Roger

Is est non maximus ut vos teneo totus refero - is est maximus ut vos teneo quaestiones sciscitor.
μολὼν λαβέ
roger o
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby CajunDaddys_girl » Tue Mar 01, 2011 9:44 am

roger o wrote:We're supposed to head down to Palm Beach County from New York this evening. Can you suggest an alternate route around the fire?

Pick up I-4 west to the 417 Greenbelt / Greenway in Seminole County, the 417 ramp will be the the 3rd exit once you cross the only bridge on I-4... Get in your 2nd from the far right lane once you cross the bridge, then the far right lane once your over the mall exit then the signs for Orlando International Airport, follow 417 to Orlando International Airport.. Take 528 East which will take you around the fires and back to I-95...

Simply I-4 west to the Green Belt / 417 South follow to Orlando International Airport exit take 528 east back to I-95
CajunDaddys_girl

Postby CajunDaddys_girl » Tue Mar 01, 2011 11:13 am

I-95 is open for the moment...The Fire crews have said throughout the day the winds will be shifting and the winds will start coming out of the south.
This excpected shift will send the smoke Northbound to change at any time with the shifting of the winds.

Keep your alternate route with you in case of any changes while your on the road.
CajunDaddys_girl

Postby roger o » Tue Mar 01, 2011 11:41 am

CajunDaddys_girl, you're the best! Thanks so much for taking the time to help us. I'll report back as soon as I can and let you know how it went.
Roger

Is est non maximus ut vos teneo totus refero - is est maximus ut vos teneo quaestiones sciscitor.
μολὼν λαβέ
roger o
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Florida US 95 shut down due to fires Updated at 2:45 pm

Postby CajunDaddys_girl » Tue Mar 01, 2011 2:49 pm

The fire has now hit 16K acres..

I-95 is expected to be opend and closed over the next several days due to fires and smoke...

The news channels are telling people to be prepared to evacuate at a moments notice... They are giving tips on what to pack, ie documents, deeds, Birth certs, etc, etc...

We are having high winds now so things seem to be rather unpredictable, which is common with weather and fires..

They are now expecting the smoke to be blown into the interior areas of Brevard, Volusia and Seminole Counties...
CajunDaddys_girl

Re: Florida US 95 shut down due to fires 4:15 UPDATE

Postby CajunDaddys_girl » Tue Mar 01, 2011 4:18 pm

Fire fighter suffered 2nd burns to his face Has been airlifted to ORMC for treatment.
CajunDaddys_girl

Postby roger o » Thu Mar 03, 2011 4:50 pm

We drove through that area last night around 9pm. You could see fires right along the west side of I95, and the smoke was very thick. Scary to drive through, but we made it. I pray for the fireman who got hurt. Thanks again for your help and advice.
Roger

μολὼν λαβέ
roger o
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby CajunDaddys_girl » Thu Mar 03, 2011 5:29 pm

roger o wrote:We drove through that area last night around 9pm. You could see fires right along the west side of I95, and the smoke was very thick. Scary to drive through, but we made it. I pray for the fireman who got hurt. Thanks again for your help and advice.

Hubby and I were wondering how you were doing on your drive down.....
Glad you made it safely..
CajunDaddys_girl

Re: Florida US 95 shut down due to fires **3/3/11 Update

Postby CajunDaddys_girl » Thu Mar 03, 2011 5:35 pm

http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/nation ... 0923.story

Health Warnings have been issued for small children, people with chronic respiratory issues such as Asthma, COPD, Emphysema, Pulmonary Fibrosis, etc., and heart conditions.
CajunDaddys_girl

Postby CajunDaddys_girl » Sun Mar 06, 2011 9:50 am

Currently the fires are well contained thanks to the winds and rains working in favor with our FireFighters...
CajunDaddys_girl

Return to National Disaster Alert