• Advertisement

Join Your States Prepper Network. Click Here

Spreading Prepper Mentality---Pros Vs. Cons?

General Preparedness Topics Relating to your Family

Moderators: IceFire, medic94

Re: Spreading Prepper Mentality---Pros Vs. Cons?

Postby ajax727 » Mon Mar 20, 2017 9:55 am

I try to talk to people about being prepared some listen some just role there eyes . It is funny as heck to watch people run around like a chicken with it's head chopped when we have a storm coming they buy milk and bread , i have never had a milk sandwich in all my life they must be real good . I have friends and family that laugh at me because i have this and that on hand . When they say well we will just come to your farm if things go bad what a joke sorry if the gate is closed it want be smart to climb the fence it is only 250 yards away .
I have helped a few people in there effort to be more prepared after i have talked with them , i tell them canned goods are cheap when on sale so stock up , veggs , canned meats and fruits have long shelf life , rice and dried beans flour and cornmeal will last a long time when they are kept in a freezer , but you need a generator to keep it frozen .
To those that want listen i just tell them good luck if things go south but don't come around looking for a handout they want like the end results .
To see things as they are not as they want you to see them .. With the stroke of a pen all you rights and freedom can end ...
ajax727

Postby NJMike » Mon Mar 20, 2017 10:00 am

My philosophy is I'll tell people, if I'm comfortable with telling them. I'll share information with them If I think it will be fruitful. 9/11 and Hurricane Sandy had local impacts. I know many people in different social circles who don't or won't self-identify as Preppers, but who definitely prepare to some degree. Curiously we don't talk prepping in a formal manner. Most people only discuss preparedness in vague general terms. I think many prefer not to disclose too much information. I can respect that, given I've been outed by family to other family and their friends on things I kept in the house. I've even had a Prepper from a group out me in front of others as a Prepper at a non-prepping public event.
NJMike
New Jersey Preppers Network
New Jersey Preppers Network

Postby anita » Mon Mar 20, 2017 10:20 am

ajax727 wrote:I try to talk to people about being prepared some listen some just role there eyes . It is funny as heck to watch people run around like a chicken with it's head chopped when we have a storm coming they buy milk and bread , i have never had a milk sandwich in all my life they must be real good . I have friends and family that laugh at me because i have this and that on hand . When they say well we will just come to your farm if things go bad what a joke sorry if the gate is closed it want be smart to climb the fence it is only 250 yards away .
I have helped a few people in there effort to be more prepared after i have talked with them , i tell them canned goods are cheap when on sale so stock up , veggs , canned meats and fruits have long shelf life , rice and dried beans flour and cornmeal will last a long time when they are kept in a freezer , but you need a generator to keep it frozen .
To those that want listen i just tell them good luck if things go south but don't come around looking for a handout they want like the end results .

In the Philly area it seems to be a tradition to make French Toast on a snow day!
In honor of RebNavy: "Then call us Rebels if you will, we glory in the name, for bending under unjust laws and swearing faith to an unjust cause, we count as greater shame". Richmond Daily Dispatch May 12 1862

Semper Fi, Sic Semper Tyrannis, Remember The Alamo, and Aide'toi et Dieu T'aidera!
anita

Postby Illini Warrior » Mon Mar 20, 2017 12:29 pm

this exact topic is being currently being discussed on another prepper site - here's one direct quote response that is just unbelievable ....

"My feeling is, I don't want to be the last one on the block with food. So I'm trying to be prepared for all of us."

How would you like to be depending on this stupid silly SOB?
Illini Warrior
Illini Warrior

Postby Gunns » Mon Mar 20, 2017 1:30 pm

Illini Warrior wrote:this exact topic is being currently being discussed on another prepper site - here's one direct quote response that is just unbelievable ....

"My feeling is, I don't want to be the last one on the block with food. So I'm trying to be prepared for all of us."

So I assume then the whole block knows about his or her preps? That will be a short lived life.
Gunns
Texas Preppers Network
Texas Preppers Network

Postby Cast Iron » Mon Mar 20, 2017 2:44 pm

What do you call the go to guy or gal who not only has all the preps, but the knowledge and experience to make it all work?
The go to guy or gal with the military experience, the leadership experience, the understanding of logistics?
The go to guy or gal with the medical background?
The go to guy or gal with the small and medium livestock knowledge and experience of animal husbandry?
The go to guy or gal with the small and medium livestock knowledge and experience to slaughter, butcher and process meat for long term storage without modern conveniences?
The go to guy or gal with the knowledge and experience to not only grow food from seeds but how to collect seeds for next years harvest?
The go to guy or gal who is an Expert Rifle marksman?
The go to guy or gal who can do more with less?

The OIC.

I am sure the Spider People will beg to differ.
Beware of the guy with only one Cast Iron pan . . . he likely knows how to use it.
Cast Iron

Postby woodchipper518 » Mon Mar 20, 2017 5:07 pm

dmwalsh568 wrote:I point out the FEMA and CDC websites that suggest being prepared and if they aren't convince I go the insurance route...everyone has home insurance, car insurance, fire insurance, etc. why not food insurance with some freeze dried foods? My father still didn't get it so I gave him 3 days of FD food he has stuck in the basement. At least he has something now...

I generally don't talk about it. But I follow the above approach when pressed. I also work with my local CERT & MRC which preaches being prepared for at least a week and NOT to count on FEMA (which is 11 miles from my house). It helped that my county MRC team did an exercise in a local city to ascertain the level of preparedness in statistically chosen areas. So I had a lot of friends asking what my Facebook status update that day. They were inquisitive but they were sheeple. The exercise was very successful and helped that city complete some federal grants for emergency management equipment and funding.

For my kids, they all have road emergency kits which are basically Get Home bags. I have to remind them to keep water and snacks in the car and weather appropriate clothes but they are not interested in prepping. My wife doesn't want to know but trusts that I'm doing it for a good reason. She thinks writing MM/YY on all our canned foods is really weird but I told her it helps ensure we use those in date order.....food rotation theory is not interesting to her.

So basically, screw everyone else.
woodchipper518
Texas Preppers Network
Texas Preppers Network

Location: North Texas - Denton County / Collin County line / 380 corridor

Postby Blondie » Mon Mar 20, 2017 5:44 pm

Gunns wrote:
Illini Warrior wrote:this exact topic is being currently being discussed on another prepper site - here's one direct quote response that is just unbelievable ....

So I assume then the whole block knows about his or her preps? That will be a short lived life.

I have seen Christian ministries selling food storage buckets.

They are targeting seniors/empty nesters who may have some extra $ to spare and don't want to sit in a community shelter when a storm comes thru.

Their pitch is " you can do the Lord's work by feeding your neighbors in hard times". "And your wayward hoodlum grandson may stop for a meal with his hoodlum friends and you can minister to them, too"!

:shakeno:
Living In A Powder Keg & Giving Off Sparks
Blondie

Postby DR1VENbyKNOWLEDGE » Mon Mar 20, 2017 8:48 pm

Gunns wrote:I don't know what can be done about it. I can't possibly afford creating 50+ bug out bags for my immediate family. I got 4 brothers and 3 sisters and they all have kids and those kids have kids. Love them all but I cannot prep for them. Some of them have said that famous line "I will just go to Gunns house". My response is "don't, I don't want to shoot you". They look at me beleaguered and stop talking to me for months, their so upset.

Literally had water coming out my nose on this...lol.....I know that look. lol.
In honor of RebNavy...RIP buddy. You made me smile. :)

Postby rebnavy1862 » Fri Apr 07, 2017 4:00 pm
Driven, are you sure you are from Kalifornia? You make a lot of sense.
Reb"Then call us Rebels if you will, we glory in the name, for bending under unjust laws and swearing faith to an unjust cause, we count as greater shame". Richmond Daily Dispatch May 12 1862
Semper Fi, Sic Semper Tyrannis, Remember The Alamo, and Aide'toi et Dieu T'aidera!
DR1VENbyKNOWLEDGE

Postby DR1VENbyKNOWLEDGE » Mon Mar 20, 2017 9:03 pm

woodchipper518 wrote:
dmwalsh568 wrote:I point out the FEMA and CDC websites that suggest being prepared and if they aren't convince I go the insurance route...everyone has home insurance, car insurance, fire insurance, etc. why not food insurance with some freeze dried foods? My father still didn't get it so I gave him 3 days of FD food he has stuck in the basement. At least he has something now...

I generally don't talk about it. But I follow the above approach when pressed. I also work with my local CERT & MRC which preaches being prepared for at least a week and NOT to count on FEMA (which is 11 miles from my house). It helped that my county MRC team did an exercise in a local city to ascertain the level of preparedness in statistically chosen areas. So I had a lot of friends asking what my Facebook status update that day. They were inquisitive but they were sheeple. The exercise was very successful and helped that city complete some federal grants for emergency management equipment and funding.

For my kids, they all have road emergency kits which are basically Get Home bags. I have to remind them to keep water and snacks in the car and weather appropriate clothes but they are not interested in prepping. My wife doesn't want to know but trusts that I'm doing it for a good reason. She thinks writing MM/YY on all our canned foods is really weird but I told her it helps ensure we use those in date order.....food rotation theory is not interesting to her.

So basically, screw everyone else.

I hear you on that as it can get expensive helping out the non-interested, but I do already purchase 3-day to 1 month for immediate family and even hide it in their Garage...lol.

This is :offtopic: here but I saw the comment on writing on the cans....have you tried this inexpensive solution? I hate keeping track. I've wasted food in the past....Enter the Auto-rotate racks! ...here's a homemade easy one.... http://amy-toby.blogspot.co.uk/2012/03/canned-food-storage.html

This is only one example of the many designs out there...Up to #10 cans if needed.

Reb"Then call us Rebels if you will, we glory in the name, for bending under unjust laws and swearing faith to an unjust cause, we count as greater shame". Richmond Daily Dispatch May 12 1862
DR1VENbyKNOWLEDGE

Postby MoosePath » Mon Mar 20, 2017 11:50 pm

After hearing the dreaded "I will just come to your place" a few times I no longer talk about prepping to anyone. My wife, mother, brother and a couple select friends know and that will be as far as it goes. I never talk about it in public to the people who know I prep because I have no intentions to save the world, just my close friends and family (and even that has it's limits). That might sound cold and heartless but I am not Bill Gates and I cannot afford to take care of everyone else's short comings. Convincing my brother to start prepping was my single greatest achievement. I am not sure what finally convinced him, maybe the news stories I would share with him, but even he still needs work. Just this past weekend he broke his eye glasses. Now he is in a tizzy over not having a spare pair. Are you kidding me? Something as important as eye glasses? He still needs work but at least he sees the light (at least when he gets his new eye glasses he will, lol). It would be nice to work with people and get them on the right path but at what risk to yourself? That was my intentions at the beginning but like I said at the beginning of this post after hearing how many people said they just planned on sharing my place (you have to contribute to share last time I looked). That ended my attempts at conversion. Fortunately those that said they would come to my place will be in for a rude awakening because I won't be there. My BOL location is only known by three people from my inner circle. Good luck to anyone still trying to turn the sheeple because I am done. I imagine there are plenty of snowflakes out there now that have begun to looking into prepping as the sky is falling down around them but again, I have no pity. Just my two cents.
MoosePath

Postby DR1VENbyKNOWLEDGE » Tue Mar 21, 2017 10:02 am

NJMike wrote:My philosophy is I'll tell people, if I'm comfortable with telling them. I'll share information with them If I think it will be fruitful. 9/11 and Hurricane Sandy had local impacts. I know many people in different social circles who don't or won't self-identify as Preppers, but who definitely prepare to some degree. Curiously we don't talk prepping in a formal manner. Most people only discuss preparedness in vague general terms. I think many prefer not to disclose too much information. I can respect that, given I've been outed by family to other family and their friends on things I kept in the house. I've even had a Prepper from a group out me in front of others as a Prepper at a non-prepping public event.

Just saw this comment and had to post here even as I'm late to get my BOV worked on...lol.

I have 2 very close friends, one that seems to be coming around(J) and the other who has millions and I cant get to stock a can of food(M)..... We'll after 5 years of hitting him "J" has bought a water filter from me, and finally pulled the trigger on an M4 right before the ban here in CA. So I took "J" to the gun show for ammunition and "J" got to see first hand my normal purchase for range practice and supplementing my preps. Walking out with the amount I grabbed that day(Pre CA Ammo registry/bulk purchase for the range) there wasn't less than 40-50 different folks making whistles or comments about the supply as we walked out to the car(I know the guards so we get to a back gate where people cant ID the vehicle for load up...Just in case ;) )

Anyways, the next day in the office I'm casually talking to "M" about all the money I spent on Christmas presents this year(we're just discussing this stuff as we're really close friends and he's the owner of our company) this year and "M" immediately says "Ya, but $3000 of that was just on ammo for yourself"... :eek: He wasn't there, I didn't tell him I was going, and this was less than 24 hours later. :eek:

Floored.....

I immediately went over to address "J" on this and his excuse for such a breach of privacy was "Dude, "M" already knows about what you do.".......again floored. BECAUSE HE WAS CORRECT. I immediately told him as I failed to do at the show(My bad) that you don't bring up specifics like that no matter what you think they might know about you and to not do it again please. He hasn't. But, it goes to show you how quick a slip of the tongue travels for failing to just state the obvious(OPSEC) even to someone you know you can trust....

Again, my "OPSEC" was breached ages ago in my efforts to help others as I didn't approach it just right, but that one was an eye opener even for me.

If I have a single saving grace(If you can call it that), is that anyone that does know about my preps knows the level of firearms training I have and my "Fun" courses I train at every other weekend running thru about 1000 rounds a month on average....That MIGHT be a deterrent.

Knowing myself though, unless it was a full on long term WROL situation, I'd help them out in a heartbeat...... "J" already knows he's welcome in that situation...More manpower.

Honestly, there's a 90% chance we'll never need these preps IMHO, but we do it for the 10% chance we do..... If the 10% hits, we're screwed with the choices we'll be forced to make anyways. BUT, my family will have a 50% chance of better surviving it no matter the OPSEC....again, IMHO. ;)

Some of you might call me daft, but in a WROL situation, what's left to enjoy if we don't even make an attempt to bring some good folks along with us? ........ you know, "It takes a village...." and all that.

DR1VENbyKNOWLEDGE

Postby Cast Iron » Tue Mar 21, 2017 4:02 pm

I look around and assess all those in my community as either assets or a liability.

If you are a bunker bunny, hardcore on OPSEC, unwilling to even talk to me, well then I will just write you off as a lost cause.
If you have family, do not be surprised when after months and months of your quest for ultimate OPSEC, your spouse or children shoot you in the face, poison your dinner, or slip a knife in your back while you sleep.
Really, there are families who now have outlawed the board games Monopoly or Risk at Thanksgiving or Christmas as a result of the onset of violence.

If you live alone, after a year of talking to, arguing with, and in the end, losing the argument with a volleyball, do not be surprised if a community or tribe does not welcome you with open arms.

Better to empower and educate those around you now and community member, than be seen as an standoffish elite hording food in their bunker.

The go it alone wolf mentality is a losing end game.
Beware of the guy with only one Cast Iron pan . . . he likely knows how to use it.
Cast Iron

Postby Blondie » Wed Mar 22, 2017 10:55 pm

Bunker Bunny? Ok....me likey :D

I wonder how many posters who warn of the dangers of "being alone" have ever been left on their own with a significant task(s) to accomplish?

My observation is that I've yet to see a female poster warn about being alone.
Living In A Powder Keg & Giving Off Sparks
Blondie

Postby daaswampman » Wed Mar 22, 2017 11:31 pm

I am always amazed at all the wisdom of what you have to do now, while nobody knows what may happen, if anything will happen, or if anyone has been through it. It really depends of you, your skills, and where you live. Swamp
People rarely notice what it right in front of their eyes. The Da Vinci Code
daaswampman
Louisiana Preppers Network
Louisiana Preppers Network

PreviousNext

Return to General Family Preparedness