• Advertisement

What is the difference? Homesteader, Prepper, Survivalist?

General Preparedness Topics Relating to your Family

Moderators: IceFire, raggi5

Re: What is the difference? Homesteader, Prepper, Survivalis

Postby NNYPrepares » Sat Dec 29, 2012 2:02 pm

If I were to attempt to actually define a difference between each, I'd say the differences are:

1. "Prepper": A person who, for whatever reason, be it caused by nature or by man, stocks whatever supplies to counter a given (or feared) situation. By nature, a prepper will more often than not purchase products from food to ammunition, and stockpile them in one or more locations. They are generally more "militant" regarding their views on whatever they are prepping for, and have learned some useful knowledge concerning self-reliance. But without their stockpile, would have to learn much more to be able to survive on their own. They have more survival skills than the average person, but are fairly embedded into modern civilization. I'd say a true and indefinite event would be something of a shock to their system and many would discover what they need and don't have, and not do as well as they think they would.

2. "Survialist": A survivalist has learned how to create what they need from their immediate surroundings. They know about hunting, trapping, making clothing, etc and how to obtain the neccessities of survival without having a ready man-made resource available. They can basically saunter out into a given environment and obtain everything from what is available, regardless of need. These are people who have taken the time to learn how to make anything and are readily capabable to do pretty much anything in order to survive without help, from 6 weeks to 6 years.

3. "Homesteader": Somebody who wants to be as self-sufficient as possible. They picked out a location and do what they can to make it a home, using a combination of what is available in their environment and what they need from modern society. The Amish in our area are as close to being homesteaders as I think you can get. They are able to live off the land and create what they need, but obtain goods from a modern environment as well in order to further achieve their goal as being mostly off the grid. A combination of prepper and survivalist, they have the ability to become completely self sufficient, but also use the offerings of modern society to assist them in doing so.

Myself? While I can survive in the woods for a time (I know how to hunt, fish, make a shelter and fire out of 2 sticks, know many edible and medicinal plants, know how to grow food, etc.), I am not a true "survivalist". My knowledge doesn't extend that far. I would probably have to find a communal population where I could combine what I have and share my resources and knowledge with others...relying on a team effort.
The time to prepare is not after a disaster happens.
www.NNYPrepares.org
Be Informed. Make A Plan. Get A Kit. Be Prepared.

http://youtu.be/LagUA78isgc
NNYPrepares

Postby RayMac1963 » Wed Jan 02, 2013 3:02 pm

I think another big factor in the distinction between Homesteader and Prepper is real estate / location. If many "preppers" lived on enough land vs the urban/suburban locations where they reside, they would grow/produce more of their own food and store less. Thus becoming homesteaders and being more permanently independent from "the system".
"Laugh all you want, but when the zombies come we both know who's house you'll be running to for protection" - TheYankeeMarshal

My Blog---> http://urbanprepperdiary.blogspot.com
RayMac1963
Michigan Preppers Network
Michigan Preppers Network

Postby IceFire » Wed Jan 02, 2013 3:15 pm

RayMac1963 wrote:I think another big factor in the distinction between Homesteader and Prepper is real estate / location. If many "preppers" lived on enough land vs the urban/suburban locations where they reside, they would grow/produce more of their own food and store less. Thus becoming homesteaders and being more permanently independent from "the system".

Exactly! I'm currently a "prepper", but if hubby and I can get the acreage we want (and are saving for) then I will become a "homesteader".
IceFire
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby Lilredmg » Wed Jan 02, 2013 3:22 pm

Great breakdown of definitions. Hard to be a homesteader when you live in a subdivision or city. I think there can be a natural evolution from prepper to homesteader. So many people are finding a BOL to live in permanently. I'm one of those searching for the perfect place.

For me, a survivalist involves a lot of guns. Visions of a state militia come to mind. I'm sure the media has a lot to do with that mental image. Just as the media is giving its audience the mental image of a prepper being someone that seems a little 'off'. Making it appear as if a prepper has gone off the paranoia cliff in a big way.
Matthew 25:42 "for I was hungry and you gave Me no food; I was thirsty and you gave me no drink."

Matthew 25:45 "Then He will answer them, saying, 'Assuredly, I say to you, inasmuch as you did not do it to one of the least of these, you did not do it to Me."
Lilredmg
Tennessee Preppers Network
Tennessee Preppers Network

Previous

Return to General Family Preparedness