• Advertisement

Does entertainment belong on the prep list?

General Preparedness Topics Relating to your Family

Moderators: IceFire, raggi5

Does entertainment belong on the prep list?

Postby Paul Stevens » Thu Jan 10, 2013 4:47 pm

Some might think it is crazy to think of such things to be entertained with during a full out SHTF. Not knowing just what might occur and the duration, entertainment items just might belong somewhere on the list, especially if your plan is to shelter in place and don’t have to worry about caring extra stuff. They are cheap and easy to find as no one wants this stuff now.

It seems our society has become so dependent and needy on electronic and outside entertainment that going without something to be entertained with will likely create an ongoing strain within the family.

I know how difficult it is for the family to be snowed in or to be without power just for a few days. If you haven’t experience such an outage, perhaps a test to challenge the family to go one weekend without, movies, TV, computers and cell phones should be considered.

Yes, there will likely be hard work and long days, but there will also be long down times sitting and waiting and wondering.

All the old fashioned board games, puzzles, and even movies on VHS tape are a dime a dozen at Goodwill stores and garage sales.

With all the electronic books available it seems libraries are having a hard time in even giving away used books.

Even small portable TVs with built in VHS players and portable DVD players are fairly available and are also cheap. Many of these operate of 12 volt or will work off a small inverter.
Before electricity people could spend hours working puzzles, playing card games, or playing family board games.

It may be rather radical to think about pulling the family away from the electronics now, but getting the family back around a game table and away from the social electronic media might just be a good family bonding time as well a preparing to be without those electronic gizmos.

If nothing else consider new hobbies now that each family member will enjoy as well as be potentially beneficial for the family to sustain themselves either internally or as an extra income or barter item externally.

So what are your thoughts, does entertainment belong on the prep list?
Paul Stevens
APN Sponsor Member
APN Sponsor Member

Re: Does entertainment belong on the prep list?

Postby Laststandprepper » Thu Jan 10, 2013 4:58 pm

I would say Yes.I have books,decks of cards+ the items you have listed
Stand now or Kneel forever.
Laststandprepper
Rhode Island Preppers Network
Rhode Island Preppers Network

Postby Das Sheep » Thu Jan 10, 2013 5:00 pm

A football, some cards and a few board games can help.

Though in College and in A-School I saw some games of Monopoly and Risk get pretty heated.
Das Sheep
Florida Preppers Network
Florida Preppers Network

Postby Fenix » Thu Jan 10, 2013 5:05 pm

Ball in a cup, a deck of cards, story telling, and books should be all the entertainment anyone needs.
You're black. The're white. This ain't Hockey!
No, you may not quote me for any book, or use any of my posts on this topic or any other for any reason without my express written permission.
Fenix
Wisconsin State Moderator
Wisconsin State Moderator

Postby private » Thu Jan 10, 2013 5:10 pm

Absolutely and without a doubt! Like you said there is going to be a period of adjustment, and then a time to rest and evaluate. This is true especially if you have smaller ones. Excellent topic that could easily expand to several great ideas. Musical instruments, books, interactive books, board games, heck a deck of cards can be a distraction.
private
North Carolina Preppers Network
North Carolina Preppers Network

Postby DesertDweller » Thu Jan 10, 2013 5:14 pm

Don't forget one of the oldest games in history....BACKGAMMON! We used to play it all through the night into the next morning when we were in our 20s...(why, that was "just yesterday") I'd also add a Risk game and a deck of cards. Euchre is one of my fav card games!
"What matters most is how well you walk through the fire" ~Charles Bukowski~
DesertDweller
Arizona Preppers Network
Arizona Preppers Network

Postby daaswampman » Thu Jan 10, 2013 5:29 pm

Agree with all of the above. It would not hurt to learn some of the early pioneer games and songs either. They are part of our heritage and they have a proven track record. We don't spend enough time together as it is and learning these games again could be a great deal of fun for a family. Swamp
daaswampman
Louisiana Preppers Network
Louisiana Preppers Network

Postby Floridaclipper » Thu Jan 10, 2013 6:30 pm

Agree with the above as well. I'll add carrom, shut the box, pool, dancing, jacks, and arts/crafts.
Florida region 3
Floridaclipper

Postby kr105 » Thu Jan 10, 2013 6:32 pm

Board game classics like monopoly, scrabble, risk as well as checkers, dominos, chess and backgammon are good to have. Deck of cards and packs of dice (for Yahtzee) are also classics. Toss in a basketball, football, spaldine and frizbee for the kids. Puzzles (fifty cents at Goodwill) are a worthwhile addition.

Personally, I grab the crossword page from the newspaper at work before it is tossed out. It's free and will give you many hours of entertainment.

If you have a decent size family, I'd consider a harmonica, recorder, tamborine --all low cost and you can have a concert. Download directions for learning the instruments.

For family night now, you can start a game of charades, or scavenger hunts for deserts after dinner.
kr105
Pennsylvania State Moderator
Pennsylvania State Moderator

Postby dranger1108 » Thu Jan 10, 2013 7:20 pm

I was without power for two weeks during a ice storm. You'll want some entertainment...
i have a rechargeable DVD player, lots of DVDs (cut the cable anyways) been looking for books, board games, and puzzles when yard selling, I also got a guitar and a lap harp. In a shtf you'll have lots of work to keep ya busy, but if bad weather or cold icy winter days - you'll be stuck inside.
Michelle
http://dranger1108.blogspot.com/
dranger1108

Postby JeepmasterJohn » Thu Jan 10, 2013 7:33 pm

Absolutely! See if you can get some educational value in there if you have kids...Uno, Yahtzee (counting), scrabble (spelling)...you get the idea. I even have an old game named "Solarquest" stashed away. Hobbies are good too...I have model trains...and a ton of scenery materials stashed away. Hours and hours of enjoyment...and can run on batteries. N scale and g scale (out side). Some ballons and a couple slingshots and you can plink all day and work on / teach accuracy. Decks of cards and you have lots of options. Just some thoughts!
JeepmasterJohn
Illinois Preppers Network
Illinois Preppers Network

Postby Gallimaufry » Thu Jan 10, 2013 7:40 pm

If you have kids, and can afford it or find it at a flea market, a Magic Tricks kit would keep them entertained - and you, too. For little kids, blocks. The wooden kind you can build with (couch forts, anyone?), plus they are something you can make. Personally I always liked Tinker Toys, but they're made of plastic now. Bleh. I also think a couple of cheap trays of water color paint and a pile of paper (like packing paper) would be good.

I think entertainment will be very important for everyone's sanity, and it helps keep a sense of normalcy(?)

M.
Gallimaufry
New York Preppers Network
New York Preppers Network

Postby UncleJoe » Thu Jan 10, 2013 8:00 pm

I feel some type of entertainment is essential for mental health. You know; all work and no play.....
We have books, puzzles, board games and at least a half dozen unopened decks of cards. But music would be our mainstay for entertainment. "Music calms the savage beast" :)

Long before electronic games or even readily available books, people made music. It can be as simple as a piece of hide stretched across a hollow log for a drum but it can also be far more complex. I have 11 guitars, a mandolin and a harmonica. Yeah, that's a little overkill for most peoples sensibility's. :rolleyes: The point is, if you can make your own music you can entertain yourself as well as others. For hundreds of years dancing, whether ballroom or square, has always been a way for folks to come together for some stress relief and social interaction.
Who knows, in a different type of world you may even be able to make a part of your living making music.
And To The Republic For Which It Used To Stand

[b]The powers that be are telling us there’s light at the end of the tunnel.

What they’re not telling us is that it’s an oncoming train.[/b]
UncleJoe

Postby catfeet » Thu Jan 10, 2013 9:10 pm

You've forgotten one of the best books - Rise Up in Song - lots of folks song lyrics, plus guitar chords.
catfeet
Vermont Preppers Network
Vermont Preppers Network

Postby Fyrediver » Thu Jan 10, 2013 11:42 pm

Absolutely entertainment should be on the preparation list!

Just about anything that helps the day go by should be. Iphone/Ipad (chargers too), books, yoyos, cards, dice, etc. Especially if there are kids in the house. Have to give them something to do or they'll get into trouble. Well, at least that's what I was like as a kid ;)

When I was in the military we'd go for training deployments and have to stand around for hours waiting for processing. I always had a yo yo in my gear bag and I'd pull it out to play. ALWAYS had other folks playing with it shortly. People trying out old tricks they did as kids . . . It was cheap and easy entertainment and was very appreciated.
“It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change.” Charles Darwin
Fyrediver
Washington Preppers Network
Washington Preppers Network

Next

Return to General Family Preparedness