• Advertisement

Spreading Prepper Mentality---Pros Vs. Cons?

General Preparedness Topics Relating to your Family

Moderators: IceFire, medic94

Spreading Prepper Mentality---Pros Vs. Cons?

Postby DR1VENbyKNOWLEDGE » Sun Mar 19, 2017 9:33 am

So it never ceases to amaze me how blind some of my friends and family can be when it comes to even the MOST BASIC of preps are ignored in todays day and age of the supermarket mentality.

The basic thought that "it's nothing to worry about/Easier to ignore" for the most siplest of even a 3 day supply of food and water even here in Southern CA where its proven time and time again Earthquakes happen and shut stuff down.

This is a few weeks dated but it brings back the thought "I'm good to go, but so many I personally know aren't" including family and friends.... http://www.foxnews.com/science/2017/03/08/california-fault-capable-producing-magnitude-7-4-earthquake-study-says.html

No matter how I approach it, calm/matter of fact, or directly like "You HAVE to have some basics on hand, get with it!" or any variance in-between, I don't see them change their thoughts...Even in the tiniest bit no matter the basic logic of it.

So my questions are these......

How would you approach the issue for people you care about?

When do you consider talking is too much and makes you a target in an event for zombies?

(I'm sure everyone knows Zombies are un-prepped civilians trying to take your stuff, but just being safe here. ;) )

If a specific loved one had a view that any preps are a type of paranoia/erratic behavior, at what point would you just give up on them vs. continuing to try to get them to stock even 3 days of water?

Let's get a discussion going here....please chime in. ALL points of view/experience with this subject welcomed here...

Thanks all.... :thumbup:
~DR1VEN

Preparation through education is less costly than learning through tragedy.
-- Max Mayfield

If I had eight hours to chop down a tree, I'd spend six sharpening my axe.
-- Abraham Lincoln
DR1VENbyKNOWLEDGE

Re: Spreading Prepper Mentality---Pros Vs. Cons?

Postby Illini Warrior » Sun Mar 19, 2017 9:42 am

if you can't get a CA sheeple to pack a earthquake FEMA 72 hr bag - there's no hope for them - forget em' and move on ....
Illini Warrior
Illini Warrior

Postby oldasrocks » Sun Mar 19, 2017 10:13 am

Agree, It's called-- Natural Selection-- Like a guy on the construction crew that refused to wear a hard hat. We finally told him OHSA finally agreed with him as there was nothing in his head worth protecting.
oldasrocks
Missouri Preppers Network
Missouri Preppers Network

Postby anita » Sun Mar 19, 2017 11:04 am

When my son was in his early 20s, he saw a movie, I want to say it was called Pandemic, but I don't remember. It was about a rapidly spreading disease of some sort (I obviously didn't see it). When he came home, he told me that he now understood why I prepped. I gave my husband One Second After to read, and after that he was more favorable to my prepping. Before he had been fine with it, but afterwards he was on board, wanted to go to the range, etc.

I think until some people experience a problem, whether it be an actual catastrophe, or just reading about it or watching a movie about it, they can't conceptualize how quickly something can grow into a life-threatening event.

I tell people that if the government keeps telling you to prepare, (and I'm sure you've heard those "have a plan" public service ads) they probably know something you don't, and you might want to follow their advice. They are trying to get as many people to be as self-reliant as possible so they have that many fewer sheep to herd should something happen. It isn't crazy talk.

I have purchased my kids each a get-home bag for my own peace of mind. And my mother is on board, even though my father wasn't particularly (although they have a farm and were naturally pretty self-reliant), so I've just shipped her small cans of freeze-dried food, water filter, water bricks, solar flashlights and the like over the years and told her to stick it away. She never would have spent that money on herself.

But yeah, some people think nothing bad can ever happen to them, just because nothing has. For those, I'd just shut up about my preps unless you want all of them on your doorstep if something happens. The Darwin Principle will win in the end.
anita

Postby rickdun » Sun Mar 19, 2017 11:07 am

Sounds like you've tried over and over again by telling them to get at least a 3 day survival stored. You have two choices as I see it:

1. Forget them and move on with your prepping.

2. Prep a 3 day bag for each of them.

I vote on #1.

I have family members, including my kids like that and I did #1.
"EVERY DAY'S A HOLIDAY AND EVERY MEAL'S A FEAST, SEMPRI FI DO OR DIE"
rickdun
Pennsylvania Preppers Network

Postby Stahlrosen » Sun Mar 19, 2017 11:46 am

Fortunately I have little family close, my son and his neighbor have a close relationship, and a good plan, so I don't worry (too much) about him. My BIL however is a different story. He knows better, but says if things go to crap he is just going to come here :x Well if he does he better have something to drop in the offering bunker when he gets here or he can run security from the barn. The only other family I have is in FL a long way away and they should be fine.

Friends, I really don't bother with. A majority of my closer friends are all like us so I don't have to do any convincing. The others, I am with rickdun on #1. If they can't read the writing on the wall, there is little I can say or do to convince them otherwise. Fortunately only my closer friends actually know where we live. I worked for AFTAC for 15 years and out of the whole building only one person had been to my house near town, and that is because he delivered my hay. Only family, some of my teammates, and some S.O. deputies have been to our place (some of them qualify here), and only a few of those have ever been inside.
I have tried going the "you really should have something route" only to be looked at like I had 3 eyes, so I don't bother anymore. I just don't think it is worth the stress. There are enough things in life to stress over.
I don't know if it is the "it will never happen to me" or the "someone will always rescue me" issue, but regardless the result is the same and I no longer have time or patience for those people.

Sorry, that probably wasn't very helpful in the suggestion department.
Stahlrosen

Postby dmwalsh568 » Sun Mar 19, 2017 1:17 pm

I point out the FEMA and CDC websites that suggest being prepared and if they aren't convince I go the insurance route...everyone has home insurance, car insurance, fire insurance, etc. why not food insurance with some freeze dried foods? My father still didn't get it so I gave him 3 days of FD food he has stuck in the basement. At least he has something now...
dmwalsh568

Postby Blondie » Sun Mar 19, 2017 4:23 pm

I don't discuss it anymore unless I'm asked. When you discuss prepping with those you only know casually you expose yourself and possibly what you have stored as well as any plans. Someone may ask about your food storage and the prepper proudly brags about their year's supply of food.

Last week we had a windstorm blow thru MI and 800,000 homes lost power for 2-4 days. People came into work dirty & disheveled to take a hot shower, clean up and warm a meal in the microwave. I was fine and didn't say or offer a thing.

My kids are on board with a few things like food & water. One keeps extra asthma meds & antibiotics on hand so the light is beginning to shine thru.
Living In A Powder Keg & Giving Off Sparks
Blondie

Postby daaswampman » Sun Mar 19, 2017 5:57 pm

You can lead a horse to water and you know the rest of that story! I no longer discuss the issue outside BASIC storm preparation, something anyone in this area should be doing.

I have found it best to operate on two levels for my own well being and cover. I simple could not justify not helping my neighbors if I could. At the same time I will not risk our well being if the worst would happen.

I have a rather large storm shelter (rated for 30) and it is fully stocked. Only one neighbor even bothered to tour or discuss it! Although they all ended up in it when a twister sat down near here.

My BOL is never discussed with family and only one trusted friend even knows it exists. I made the mistake of telling close family about the first one and that information was shared with way too many "friends".

This will sound horrible, but survival is not politically correct, fair, or pretty. If something happens my entire family is welcome to come share my home, shelters (there's more than one), and my extensive inventory. If it truly goes to hell, a select few of my friends and family will leave and wish them the best. My plan is not perfect, but life rarely is. Swamp
People rarely notice what it right in front of their eyes. The Da Vinci Code
daaswampman
Louisiana Preppers Network
Louisiana Preppers Network

Postby anita » Sun Mar 19, 2017 6:18 pm

daaswampman wrote:You can lead a horse to water and you know the rest of that story! --snip--

This always reminds me of Dorothy Parker. One evening, while at the Algonquin Round Table with her writer friends, they had to create a play on the word "horticulture."

Dorothy's was: "You can lead a whore to culture, but you can't make her think."

Now that is a great play on words.
anita

Postby Cast Iron » Mon Mar 20, 2017 8:42 am

Unfortunately it usually takes a real world event to get people even into the most basic mindset of having more than a few days supply of food on hand.

Hurricane Katrina was a good one.
So was Super Storm Sandy.

The occasional black out here or there.

The recent Nor'easter had everyone in a lather . . . then it passed West of NYC and all was well . . . except those of us out to the West. Did not leave the house for two days. No big deal, except thawing out the livestock water.
Beware of the guy with only one Cast Iron pan . . . he likely knows how to use it.
Cast Iron

Postby DR1VENbyKNOWLEDGE » Mon Mar 20, 2017 9:25 am

I've stated here before(in intro I think) my OPSEC was blown by myself ages ago with my attitude on trying to get friends even some basic stuff...Mostly my firearms and ammo side as I was often trying to get friends to the range but also with food and water here in CA as you're lucky to meet one in 5000 people that would actually can food.

I've spoken about growing your own food with my passion in gardening and looking back, that seems to have been the most effective way for my to get people prepped. I'll post pictures of harvest, plantings, greenhouse construction(It's a plastic tiny thing really for my experimentation and learning as I'm in SoCAL), and more than a few are amazed with my production to the point where they'll ask my help setting up for themselves.

I saw how bad OPSEC became when a earthquake hit a few years back and a few people made the comment that we dread..."I almost ended up over at your house DR1VEN! ha, ha, ha, ha......."

I've handled it as best as possible since then, but the damage is already done obviously.....The newer comments "I have three days of food and water, so should you" trying to play down my level of preps will only go so far....

With that being said, I'm "That guy" that is always the go-to guy if you need some help with something, anything, and I'll either already have the answer or immediately do research to make sure you get the basics in getting it right/not getting screwed......It's something I find enjoyable if not a little tiring always dropping my own items to help out someone else. For the most part my satisfaction comes from it being appreciated. I find there's only a true few who just take advantage and I drop them like a rock refusing to help them when asked again.

I see what you're all saying, but I definitely lean more to the point of Swamp here

daaswampman wrote:You can lead a horse to water and you know the rest of that story! I no longer discuss the issue outside BASIC storm preparation, something anyone in this area should be doing.

I have found it best to operate on two levels for my own well being and cover. I simple could not justify not helping my neighbors if I could. At the same time I will not risk our well being if the worst would happen.

I have a rather large storm shelter (rated for 30) and it is fully stocked. Only one neighbor even bothered to tour or discuss it! Although they all ended up in it when a twister sat down near here.

My BOL is never discussed with family and only one trusted friend even knows it exists. I made the mistake of telling close family about the first one and that information was shared with way too many "friends".

This will sound horrible, but survival is not politically correct, fair, or pretty. If something happens my entire family is welcome to come share my home, shelters (there's more than one), and my extensive inventory. If it truly goes to hell, a select few of my friends and family will leave and wish them the best. My plan is not perfect, but life rarely is. Swamp

Well stated SWAMP......

my point being this....
So, in the spirit of prepping, helping neighbors that are idiots, getting looked at as if you have the 3rd eye, and satisfying your own humanity in doing the right thing and trying to help out, where do you draw the line?
It's obviously a personal choice so there is no wrong answers...

"you can lead a horse to water......"......... of course. and I do get it.

But does that mean we should stop trying?

As in, with all things and not just in war...." The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."(Edmund Burke)

At what point, where, will you draw that personal line in the sand?

Where do you draw that line between the two????

Preparation through education is less costly than learning through tragedy.
-- Max Mayfield

If I had eight hours to chop down a tree, I'd spend six sharpening my axe.
-- Abraham Lincoln
DR1VENbyKNOWLEDGE

Postby Gunns » Mon Mar 20, 2017 9:42 am

I don't know what can be done about it. I can't possibly afford creating 50+ bug out bags for my immediate family. I got 4 brothers and 3 sisters and they all have kids and those kids have kids. Love them all but I cannot prep for them. Some of them have said that famous line "I will just go to Gunns house". My response is "don't, I don't want to shoot you". They look at me beleaguered and stop talking to me for months, their so upset.

My son is not a prepper by any means. He does however have enough food in his apartment for over three months and he has a couple emergency bags depending on the season. That is only because I raised him with that in mind. Always told him to make sure he had food for few months in case of weather and to have a bag on him if the weather got to severe. So at least he can get to his apartment and he can bug out if he has to.
Gunns
Texas Preppers Network
Texas Preppers Network

Postby rickdun » Mon Mar 20, 2017 9:47 am

daaswampman wrote: by daaswampman » Sun Mar 19, 2017 6:57 pm

You can lead a horse to water and you know the rest of that story! I no longer discuss the issue outside BASIC storm preparation, something anyone in this area should be doing.

My dad use to say the same thing to me, but he added this, "But you can beat that horse and wish he would have drank the water."

Dad was a hard corps WW-2 Marine veteran and didn't pull any punches on any man, woman or child.
"EVERY DAY'S A HOLIDAY AND EVERY MEAL'S A FEAST, SEMPRI FI DO OR DIE"
rickdun

Postby Gunns » Mon Mar 20, 2017 9:48 am

rickdun wrote:
daaswampman wrote: by daaswampman » Sun Mar 19, 2017 6:57 pm

My dad use to say the same thing to me, but he added this, "But you can beat that horse and wish he would have drank the water."

Dad was a hard corps WW-2 Marine veteran and didn't pull any punches on any man, woman or child.

Well now, that pretty much explains you.

:thumbsup:
Gunns
Texas Preppers Network
Texas Preppers Network

Next

Return to General Family Preparedness