• Advertisement

How do preppers keep from losing their minds?

General Preparedness Topics Relating to your Family

Moderators: IceFire, medic94

How do preppers keep from losing their minds?

Postby TheHiddenPrepper » Sat Apr 15, 2017 9:39 pm

okay i don't mean losing their minds in general, what i mean is when shtf what would a prepper do to keep themselves entertained? A few of the ideas of heard are portable dvd players, cd players with audio books or comedy acts recorded, and a few other ideas. But here is my idea, recently i learned that my phone is micro-sd card compatible so i came up with this plan. I am going to put some money into buying 256GB micro-sd cards and filling them with books and movies, i will then spend a few dollars on some solar chargers for my phone. to me this is a almost fool proof plan, I checked the average ebook with 1000 pages is about 20-25MB, which means i could have at the most 12800 books per micro-sd card at at least 10000, i havnt figured out how many Mb's the average movie but yeah that's my idea.
TheHiddenPrepper

Re: How do preppers keep from losing their minds?

Postby oldasrocks » Sat Apr 15, 2017 10:12 pm

Better yet. Get away from outside stimulation needs. Yes I would have the DT's for a while if the puter is down but can live without it.

I don't carry a cell phone. No need to keep in constant contact with others. I rarely watch TV and never the radio even when driving.

There will be plenty to do just to stay alive.
oldasrocks
Missouri Preppers Network

Postby daaswampman » Sat Apr 15, 2017 10:41 pm

I sincerely doubt there would be any time to get bored! Every time I spend time at the camp (which is now every week), I stay busy until I am dog tired and still never get everything done. If I had to consider security, as I will when something happens, there will be little time for sleep let along entertainment. Swamp
People rarely notice what it right in front of their eyes. The Da Vinci Code
daaswampman
Louisiana Preppers Network

Postby MoosePath » Sat Apr 15, 2017 11:44 pm

Personally I would rather stay away from all the electronic BS, I think that is part of the reason that society has gotten to the point we are in today. As Swamp has said we will have enough just to keep us alive. Taking care of the garden, repairs, security, hunting, fishing, fire wood and canning to name a few. But if we get to the point where we need some other form of entertainment we have board games, cards, a library of books and if we need more then that we have a collection of DVD's .
MoosePath

Postby oldasrocks » Sun Apr 16, 2017 8:21 am

We're not trying to put you down HiddenPrepper. Instead trying to educate you. When SHTF it won't be like sitting through a snowstorm waiting for the snow plow to come by. Even storing "How To" books is a waste of time. Find a copy (0ut of print) of the Readers Digest Back to Basics book and learn everything in there. I don't mean to just read and study but actually do it. That will keep you busy for a few years. After mastering those skills you can then start learning seriously. You will find there will not be time to be bored as others above have pointed out. The time you would spend downloading books and movies could be used to learn something that would keep you alive.

Prepping is a lifestyle. I don't prep because I'm afraid of some boogyman. Prepping is a term used to describe how we used to live in the 50's--- Self Reliance-- is a better term. I shop for a lot of things because I have become lazy and old not that I need to.
oldasrocks

Postby theoutback » Sun Apr 16, 2017 8:33 am

Go out and start a campfire today, cook something over it, and enjoy. Nothing better than slowing down....
theoutback

Postby rebnavy1862 » Sun Apr 16, 2017 8:47 am

oldasrocks wrote:We're not trying to put you down HiddenPrepper. Instead trying to educate you. When SHTF it won't be like sitting through a snowstorm waiting for the snow plow to come by. Even storing "How To" books is a waste of time. Find a copy (0ut of print) of the Readers Digest Back to Basics book and learn everything in there. I don't mean to just read and study but actually do it. That will keep you busy for a few years. After mastering those skills you can then start learning seriously. You will find there will not be time to be bored as others above have pointed out. The time you would spend downloading books and movies could be used to learn something that would keep you alive.

Prepping is a lifestyle. I don't prep because I'm afraid of some boogyman. Prepping is a term used to describe how we used to live in the 50's--- Self Reliance-- is a better term. I shop for a lot of things because I have become lazy and old not that I need to.

Excellent advice!
Reb
"Then call us Rebels if you will, we glory in the name, for bending under unjust laws and swearing faith to an unjust cause, we count as greater shame". Richmond Daily Dispatch May 12 1862

Semper Fi, Sic Semper Tyrannis, Remember The Alamo, and Aide'toi et Dieu T'aidera!
rebnavy1862
Virginia Preppers Network
Virginia Preppers Network

Postby 3ADScout » Sun Apr 16, 2017 9:12 am

I think some of the issue is what we precieve as SHTF Vs. TEOTWAWKI situations. To me I use this system as far as levels of impact:

1. Emergencies- house fire, heart attack, things on a personal level verse a community.
2. Disasters- incidents that impact my community or regionally like flood, tornado, snow storm, whose impacts will only be for a limited time.
3. Catastrophes- incidents like a Huricane Katrina, or super storm Sandy that cover multiple states, impacts food, gasoline, water, sewer and electric on a wide scale and impacts may be felt for a month or more.
4. Extinction level event (ELI) - truely a TEOTWAWKI incident. Geomagnetic storm (CME), EMP, pandemic (think something killing of 1/4 or population or more), large asteroid hit, Nuclear War, sea level rise, etc.

If the Hiddenprepper views SHTF as 1 or 2 I can see thinking about entertainment and electronic devices. I would only provide cheap entertainment to the neighbors if I started to run barbed wire and put in tangle-foot for security for a three day power outage. For incident in 3 may or may not be concerned about entertainment. For 4 definitely not concern with entertainment or electronic devices other than those like radios for Intel. My reloading bench and most valued books are kept in my shelter area so that as we wait for fallout levels to decrease we can re-load, and read about skill we are going to need.
3ADScout

Postby Stahlrosen » Sun Apr 16, 2017 11:36 am

The only way I can see needing entertainment is to give yourself an occasional break from reality if you are lucky enough to have that luxury. Or in the case of injury where a person isn't very mobile, or not at all, I can see tasking them with the learning and teaching! And giving them something to take their mind off their situation.
I truly can't imagine being bored. There is so so much to do that I don't know where the time would come from. I do think taking a little break (again if that luxury allows) from reality is good for mental health, so yes having some escape you enjoy might be beneficial. But I just can't fathom anyone that wants to survive will have a lot of spare time on their hands.
Stahlrosen

Postby arkieready » Sun Apr 16, 2017 2:44 pm

Realizing all the work to be done, and setting it aside for to answer OP's question:
Cards, dominos, real books, pens and paper, textile arts ( knitting, crocheting, sewing, weaving) for quiet times.
A good assortment of acoustic instruments like guitars, mandolin, fiddle, Irish (tin) whistle, harmonicas, glockenspiel (really!) and a small accordion for times when we can make a joyful noise unto The Lord!! Plus music books.
P!

Happiness makes up in height for what it lacks in length.

--Robert Frost--
arkieready
Arkansas Preppers Network
Arkansas Preppers Network

Postby rickdun » Sun Apr 16, 2017 3:04 pm

A cold beer, well, may be a warm beer and a camp fire, telling lies about the big one that got away.

OH, I do that now, at least the grandkids believe me.
"EVERY DAY'S A HOLIDAY AND EVERY MEAL'S A FEAST, SEMPRI FI DO OR DIE"
rickdun
Pennsylvania Preppers Network
Pennsylvania Preppers Network

Postby IceFire » Sun Apr 16, 2017 4:16 pm

arkieready wrote:Realizing all the work to be done, and setting it aside for to answer OP's question:
Cards, dominos, real books, pens and paper, textile arts ( knitting, crocheting, sewing, weaving) for quiet times.
A good assortment of acoustic instruments like guitars, mandolin, fiddle, Irish (tin) whistle, harmonicas, glockenspiel (really!) and a small accordion for times when we can make a joyful noise unto The Lord!! Plus music books.

THIS! I also have a good supply of art supplies (paint--oils, acrylic; pastels; charcoal and charcoal pencils; colored pencils; sketchbooks/sketchpads; canvas pads; brushes; etc.) books (both "homesteading/gardening/livestock" books, as well as classics, novels, music books, cookbooks, etc) musical instruments (guitar, harmonica, Native American flutes, clarinet) LOTS of fabric for sewing/quilting (also a working treadle machine, for sewing without electric power)

However, I figure I'll be so busy with the garden, livestock, canning whatever I harvest, etc. I won't have TIME to be bored. By the time I get done with all the WORK, I'll be ready to fall into bed, just to get up and start over again the next day.
"Guns are like shoes...a woman should have one in EVERY caliber!"
IceFire
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby daaswampman » Sun Apr 16, 2017 5:27 pm

Perhaps some of this is a generational view of entertainment. I could easily spend the rest of my life in my workshop fixing things or designing the proverbial better mousetrap and enjoy the every minute of it!

Same is true for the greenhouses, gardens, woods, or my big shop full of really old, sometimes they start cars! I would miss the net, but only for the how to stuff, the rest I live without now. Swamp
People rarely notice what it right in front of their eyes. The Da Vinci Code
daaswampman

Postby watcher » Sun Apr 16, 2017 9:00 pm

How did our country ancestors keep from "losing their minds"? They stayed busy because they had to, there was always work to be done. They also worked hard and at the end of the day were too tired to be bored. Even in the winter there was repairs to be made and things to make (carving out utensils, mending harness, making hand crafted toys/nicknacks, tending stock). Children also had to be taught. Read the historical documents/diaries.
Political tags — such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth — are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire. The former are idealists acting from highest motives for the greatest good of the greatest number. The latter are surly curmudgeons, suspicious and lacking in altruism. But they are more comfortable neighbors than the other sort.
watcher
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby AuntBee » Mon Apr 17, 2017 9:25 am

I see the value of collecting all that information, movies, music for long range use. Unless there's an EMP that fries everything electronic, the next generations might find them useful or educational. The cards are small and take up little room. Maybe you personally will never have time for those files, but your grandchildren might. I think we're all going to miss the easy access to information via the Internet more than we expect, especially you young whippersnappers. I have many reference books (old librarian), but the aren't exactly portable or comprehensive.

I second the suggestions about arts and crafts, cards and board games, jigsaw puzzles, musical insreuments, etc. I'd add a good ham radio set up, too.

Aunt Bee
AuntBee
New York Preppers Network
New York Preppers Network

Next

Return to General Family Preparedness