• Advertisement

Check Your Kindle-'Alexa' App!!

General Preparedness Topics Relating to your Family

Moderators: IceFire, medic94

Check Your Kindle-'Alexa' App!!

Postby LetsPrep11 » Thu Apr 20, 2017 11:05 am

When I first saw an ad for the Amazon Echo I was shocked that anyone would want that intrusive device in their home. It certainly wouldn't be coming into our home. Well, last night my Kindle lite up while I was watching TV and started downloading a new software update (BTW, how does it do that when the internet isn't connected?). What shocked me was the minute it finished and I woke the kindle up, a screen popped up telling me to 'connect' to Alexa!! What the hell??!! :shock: I hit the 'Exit' button immediately, went to the home screen, and there was my brand new, spy ready Alexa app.

For those not familiar with the dangers of this app, watch this short video. My life may be squeaky clean but I still don't want my privacy invaded.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n0fkjmEWZM8&list=PLaGjVIgMlKIFta3t8lmY8q84LW0WxVCGH
LetsPrep11

Re: Check Your Kindle-'Alexa' App!!

Postby AuntBee » Thu Apr 20, 2017 1:31 pm

Thanks for the heads up. I had an Alexa spy in my house briefly. (I gave it to a nerdy friend. Come to think of it, I don't hear from him any more. :eek: )

I didn't like that gizmo from the start, although at first it was fun to ask stupid questions to see what it would say. Then it started to play random music, and when I ordered it to stop, it changed to a different song or turned up the volume. When it started blurting out responses to the TV, I knew it had to go. I got rid of it before Christmas, shortly before that news story about Alexa ordering things online. I tremble to think what it would have ordered.

I see now that Alexa is a demonic entity. It was indeed hiding on my kindle and tries regularly to load itself on my iPad. We need an exorcism rite. *nudge*
AuntBee
New York Preppers Network

Postby rickdun » Thu Apr 20, 2017 2:50 pm

Your TV, any cell phone, computer, even cars, can turn on you, thanks to big brother.
"EVERY DAY'S A HOLIDAY AND EVERY MEAL'S A FEAST, SEMPRI FI DO OR DIE"
rickdun
Pennsylvania Preppers Network

Postby anita » Thu Apr 20, 2017 3:13 pm

We were visiting friends recently and they had Alexa. My friend likes it because it says hello to her in the morning after she says good morning to it. When I mentioned that it was intrusive, and could be a listening device, my friend scoffed but her husband didn't. (I assume Alexa was listening and taking notes. :-) )

Beyond saying hello, it often gave the wrong answers, played the wrong songs, etc. It was able to tell us the chance of rain though, although my son looked it up faster on his phone.

I posted somewhere else on here that FBI director comey has mentioned that you should keep something covering the camera on your computer, that everyone in the FBI offices does. So I do. I still need to cover my iPad though.

For those who doubt the government would be listening/watching, you might recall Sharyl Atkinson's story.

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/201 ... d-compute/

Here's the actual video she took with her phone of the words being deleted from her computer. http://www.politico.com/blogs/media/201 ... ack-197961

At the time she was dogging the obama administration about Benghazi. Yes, she's a reporter, and a fly in the ointment, but if the government will do it to her, who won't they listen in on?

Why invite big brother into your home?
"Then call us Rebels if you will, we glory in the name, for bending under unjust laws and swearing faith to an unjust cause, we count as greater shame". Richmond Daily Dispatch May 12 1862

Semper Fi, Sic Semper Tyrannis, Remember The Alamo, and Aide'toi et Dieu T'aidera!
anita

Postby rebnavy1862 » Thu Apr 20, 2017 4:12 pm

rickdun wrote:Your TV, any cell phone, computer, even cars, can turn on you, thanks to big brother.

I had some chili from a Tex-Mex cantina turn on me once :shock:
Reb
Where did I put that vomiting emoticon?
"Then call us Rebels if you will, we glory in the name, for bending under unjust laws and swearing faith to an unjust cause, we count as greater shame". Richmond Daily Dispatch May 12 1862

Semper Fi, Sic Semper Tyrannis, Remember The Alamo, and Aide'toi et Dieu T'aidera!
rebnavy1862
Virginia Preppers Network
Virginia Preppers Network

Postby bacpacker1513 » Thu Apr 20, 2017 4:24 pm

What model Kindle do you have. The wife and I both have the old original B&W models. I haven't yet saw any evidence of Alexa on them yet. Not to say it won't as well.
Greater Love hath no man than this, that he lay down his life for a friend.
John 15:13
bacpacker1513
Tennessee Preppers Network
Tennessee Preppers Network

Postby AuntBee » Thu Apr 20, 2017 5:27 pm

I have the second generation Kindle, ancient compared to current ones. And I have an early model Fire. I have a Firestick, but it's buried in the back of the junk drawer. Between Amazon and Google, nowhere is safe from bored NSA snoops.
AuntBee

Postby rickdun » Thu Apr 20, 2017 5:57 pm

rebnavy1862 wrote:
rickdun wrote:Your TV, any cell phone, computer, even cars, can turn on you, thanks to big brother.

I had some chili from a Tex-Mex cantina turn on me once :shock:
Reb
Where did I put that vomiting emoticon?

Reb, the next thing you know, you'll see me on the radio. :crazy:
"EVERY DAY'S A HOLIDAY AND EVERY MEAL'S A FEAST, SEMPRI FI DO OR DIE"
rickdun

Postby IceFire » Thu Apr 20, 2017 10:05 pm

No Kindle, (I prefer REAL books), no "Alexa" or "Echo", and no IPad. No "apps" on my cellphone (even texting is disabled.) Computer won't be downloading anything, either, because it's still running Windows 7, and no longer "supported", so no "updates" for it.
"Guns are like shoes...a woman should have one in EVERY caliber!"
IceFire
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Return to General Family Preparedness