• Advertisement

Survival Shelter Plan-Read & Discuss

General Preparedness Topics Relating to your Family

Moderators: IceFire, medic94

Survival Shelter Plan-Read & Discuss

Postby ReadyMom » Sun Jan 14, 2018 12:12 pm

Good to Read & Discuss:

Why (And How) EVERYONE Should Make a Survival Shelter Plan (+ Printable Checklist)
https://www.theorganicprepper.com/missi ... lter-plan/
Image Emergency Home Preparation.org -- A 'card-catalog' style of prepping information.
Image Also on Facebook: EmergencyHomePreparation (all one word)
:caution: Anything I post may NOT be used for commercial purposes or any type of 'For-Profit' distribution.
ReadyMom
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Re: Survival Shelter Plan-Read & Discuss

Postby dmwalsh568 » Sun Jan 14, 2018 6:59 pm

I’m lucky that I have a basement, so I have a corner prepared if we have to shelter in place because of fallout. Sterno camping stove for heating up food, plenty of bottled water and 5 gallon jugs so we can easily stay down for 4 weeks if necessary.
If we get an emergency alert while at home my plan is simple...grab the weather radio, our prescription meds and get into basement. Then I can block basement windows if I saw the message immediately...if time has elapsed then I’ll just hunker down and wait so I’m not at any windows for any blasts. I plan on waiting til an all clear on radio or if radio dies, 30-45 minutes then I’ll block windows more effectively and get out one radiation meter, two dosimeters and one charger so I can zero the dosimeters.
If it turns out it was an emp attack or a distant blast then I’ll take the time to seal up all the windows with clear plastic and duct tape. Then fill up the water bob and any empty containers....you can never have too much water. 8)
And if I’m not at home then my plans are a bit loose depending on where I am when the alert goes off. If 10 min from home or less, I’ll drop everything and rush home. Otherwise I’ll hunker down where I can. At work or the mall I know safest places. At supermarket I’m close enough to home. Other places I’ll play by ear, but I have my GHB which includes n95 masks, some disposable ponchos and Mylar blankets as well as usual 3 day bag stuff.
I tend to think through scenarios in advance so I don’t need to think too much in the moment. Especially since stressful situations aren’t the best environment for rational planning. :evil:
dmwalsh568

Postby 3ADScout » Sun Jan 14, 2018 8:32 pm

One glaring omission from the list is dosimeters and radiation detection!!!
Besides having a plan and supplies one should start out by finding out if they are by a target. Military base nearby? Large manufacturing hub? Large City? If you live in a target city or location it might be for futile to plan on surviving since the warheads these days are thermonuclear and very large yields hence heat and blast will be devastating for an area several miles in radius. My BOL is out side of blast area (plus a buffer) for this particular reason. I have a basement at the BOL where we plan to shelter in place.

To add protection from radiation/fallout I plan to put tarps down on the floor above use and then put dirt/rock etc on top. I also plan on bringing in the cement landscaping blocks since they are about 6" thick and will provide good shielding. I also keep coregated steel roofing on hand to make a shelter area in the basement that will be topped with ammo cans (lead and steel!) and other dense material. Will take some time but our town is far from a first strike city.

Dosimeters are priceless since you will know how much radiation your body has absorbed. The detection equipment will let you know how effective your shelter is.

Detection and doseimeters will also be needed so you know when you can leave your shelter and to know where hot spots are.
3ADScout

Postby angie_nrs » Sun Jan 14, 2018 10:11 pm

Thanks for posting this ReadyMom! I visited the site for a while and picked up a few tid bits. I was really only planning on having to hole up for a few days, but here it states 14-21 days! :eek: I definitely need a plan to combat cabin fever! I think I might get bored with books rather quickly but without power, what else are you going to do? I've got some games but it looks like i need to get some more. I also need to get some word puzzles as well. I do have a radio with cassettes and batteries so I could use that a couple of hours per day. However, without being close to windows, solar charging of batteries is not an option.

Yes, things could get boring and smelly. :rolleyes: I have a lug a loo with cat litter...but things still get smelly after a while and that waste really starts to add up. I also have a solar shower unit we could use to wash up but it wouldn't be warm water. I would likely use some sterno to warm up some water for oatmeal and maybe a bit for washing. Still, I would want to be pretty conservative with using fuels inside with little ventilation. Ug, 21 days was more than I was expecting. Now I have lots of stuff to reconsider.
angie_nrs

Postby ReadyMom » Sun Jan 14, 2018 10:46 pm

angie_nrs wrote:Thanks for posting this ReadyMom! I visited the site for a while and picked up a few tid bits. I was really only planning on having to hole up for a few days, but here it states 14-21 days! :eek: I definitely need a plan to combat cabin fever! I think I might get bored with books rather quickly but without power, what else are you going to do? I've got some games but it looks like i need to get some more. I also need to get some word puzzles as well. I do have a radio with cassettes and batteries so I could use that a couple of hours per day. However, without being close to windows, solar charging of batteries is not an option.

Puzzles. Knitting. Crocheting. Scrapbooking.

Also, black out curtains/material for any windows.

Confined potty IS a CONCERN.
Image Emergency Home Preparation.org -- A 'card-catalog' style of prepping information.
:caution: Anything I post may NOT be used for commercial purposes or any type of 'For-Profit' distribution.
ReadyMom
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby dmwalsh568 » Mon Jan 15, 2018 5:17 am

ReadyMom wrote:
angie_nrs wrote:Thanks for posting this ReadyMom! I visited the site for a while and picked up a few tid bits. I was really only planning on having to hole up for a few days, but here it states 14-21 days! :eek: I definitely need a plan to combat cabin fever! I think I might get bored with books rather quickly but without power, what else are you going to do? I've got some games but it looks like i need to get some more. I also need to get some word puzzles as well. I do have a radio with cassettes and batteries so I could use that a couple of hours per day. However, without being close to windows, solar charging of batteries is not an option.

Puzzles. Knitting. Crocheting. Scrapbooking.

Also, black out curtains/material for any windows.

Confined potty IS a CONCERN.

Playing cards, adult coloring books, board games, etc. anything that takes no more power than the lighting you’ll want to avoid going crazy in the dark in a confined space for an extended stay.

For potty there are enzyme packets to help, but if you have lots of plastic bags that should help with odor. And don't forget you can get used to some nasty smells over time....ever see the Febreeze tv ads? I think they call it going nose blind... :whistling: Yes, I do have Febreeze but wasn’t planning on using it since I’m concerned with using it in a confined space for days on end. Same thing with scented candles...although I was thinking about adding Beano to my supplies... :blink:
dmwalsh568

Postby ReadyMom » Mon Jan 15, 2018 8:29 am

[quote="dmwalsh568For potty there are enzyme packets to help, but if you have lots of plastic bags that should help with odor. And don't forget you can get used to some nasty smells over time....ever see the Febreeze tv ads? I think they call it going nose blind... :whistling: Yes, I do have Febreeze but wasn’t planning on using it since I’m concerned with using it in a confined space for days on end. Same thing with scented candles...although I was thinking about adding Beano to my supplies... :blink:[/quote]

"Zip Lock" bags. And bigger bags to put those zip bags in. And then a sealed bin to put THOSE in. :bored: . . . :'(
ReadyMom
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby ForwardPreppers » Mon Jan 15, 2018 10:19 am

We follow Daisy's site. I like her because she offers solutions.

Now in regards to sheltering in place, hubs and I have talked this thru a couple times and we see our biggest issue being the dogs. Not sure how difficult it's going to be to get the dogs to go inside the utility room on paper or pads. The puppy pads need to be moved to the house from our shed.

We do not have a basement. Not sure how close a target would be, so an initial blast probably wouldn't be an issue but possible fail out depending on wind.

I know I'm supposed to plan for this but my mind just can't seem to accept it. :'(

Mrs FP
When a defining moment comes along, you define the moment… or the moment defines you.
ForwardPreppers
South Carolina State Moderator

Postby Illini Warrior » Mon Jan 15, 2018 10:48 am

ReadyMom wrote:[quote="dmwalsh568For potty there are enzyme packets to help, but if you have lots of plastic bags that should help with odor. And don't forget you can get used to some nasty smells over time....ever see the Febreeze tv ads? I think they call it going nose blind... :whistling: Yes, I do have Febreeze but wasn’t planning on using it since I’m concerned with using it in a confined space for days on end. Same thing with scented candles...although I was thinking about adding Beano to my supplies... :blink:

"Zip Lock" bags. And bigger bags to put those zip bags in. And then a sealed bin to put THOSE in. :bored: . . . :'([/quote]

in regard to those scented candles - you need to be very sure that you have plenty of the regulars and not a majority of the stinkers - read somewhere in an after action report that a prepper filed after a natural disaster SHTF - the house stank sooo freaking bad from that inter-mix of scents from burning multiple candles - it was the biggest problem they had going ....
Illini Warrior
Illini Warrior

Postby ForwardPreppers » Mon Jan 15, 2018 3:28 pm

We have ordered twice from candles4less, they had pretty good sale prices. We've got 3 boxes, two different sizes along with glass holders for the smaller ones. White and unscented.

Mrs FP
When a defining moment comes along, you define the moment… or the moment defines you.
ForwardPreppers

Postby angie_nrs » Mon Jan 15, 2018 6:18 pm

Good suggestions here....

The enzyme packets for the potty have a nasty smell too. :bored: We use them in the camper sometimes and that "chemical" smell is almost worse than the excrement smell. Although, there are some of those in my lug-a-loo. I do have lots of zip locks and heavy duty garbage bags and pals with lids since we also will have to plan for the dogs too. We got one of those black trays from tractor supply used in rabbit pens. We will use that with kitty litter and hope the dogs will cooperate. I got some of the clumping kitty litter so hopefully it will be fairly easy to clean up their waste. They usually pee when told to so hopefully they'll get used to it quickly. If not, I do have lots of paper towels and cleaning supplies. I also have lysol there too, but that can get very strong smelling in very short order. The area is pretty small where we'll be so it IS going to be a challenge. :'( I do have a air purifier there with a spare filter as well. I think that would definitely come in handy!

Something I may use is the scented battery operated candles. I have 8 of them with vanilla scent. It's not overpowering at all so it would help solve the smell and lighting issues. I also have LOTS of batteries stored too. It won't take long for flashlights and other battery operated lighting to run down the battery supply, especially considering there'll be little if any natural light to depend on when the area is closed off.

Make sure you have calendars and wind up clocks as well as a battery operated carbon monoxide detector. Things could get confusing quickly if you don't keep track of time.
angie_nrs

Postby ReadyMom » Mon Jan 15, 2018 7:41 pm

Re Candles: Consider the tall candles that you can find in the dollar store. (They look like 'church' candles). LONG burn time. Not a ton of light. But, given the burn time, several will give off decent light in a closed up environment. See: https://www.dollartree.com/Glass-Jar-Ca ... /index.pro

I also bought battery operated LED 'string lights', a couple of years ago. Only .99 cents for a string! Be conservative, for battery use. 1 string should give off decent light. Here's the Amazon page with various purchase options: https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_c ... QQVY4WX9KC

ReadyMom
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby ReadyMom » Mon Jan 15, 2018 7:45 pm

Also, as I began to think about this, my thoughts turned to WATER!

And shouldn't items be 'pre-positioned' in a missile-ready location, in your home? That's a whole 'nother consideration. WHERE do you put all the things you'd need, if you are already struggling with storage solutions? Minutes count drastically, in this situation. Not much time to think, never mind grab what you need, grab the kids, grab the pets, etc....
ReadyMom
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby angie_nrs » Mon Jan 15, 2018 8:18 pm

Good point on the water. I was also thinking of that last night and I don't think I have enough in my area for 21 days! Not only do we need a gallon per day but we also need it for the dogs too and for washing up and food prep. I have some more water storage to focus on!

Since our area is rather small, I won't be burning candles. I want to keep the air as clean as possible and with possibly 4-5 of us with 2 dogs, it's going to be a LONG 21 days! :o However, after the hole up period, candles will come in VERY handy. I picked up a bunch of those at WM when they were on sale for .75 a few years ago. I'm always picking up cheap candles at garage sales too! I don't think you can ever have enough.

I also have a list of last minute things I have to grab. Dog food is #1 on the list. I can't store it in my area since dog food won't hold long and I don't want to invite other critters into my area. If I didn't have time to grab dog food we would have plenty of canned goods to share with them.....I'd just prefer not to.
angie_nrs

Postby ReadyMom » Mon Jan 15, 2018 8:24 pm

angie_nrs wrote:
I also have a list of last minute things I have to grab. Dog food is #1 on the list. I can't store it in my area since dog food won't hold long and I don't want to invite other critters into my area. If I didn't have time to grab dog food we would have plenty of canned goods to share with them.....I'd just prefer not to.

Agreed on the pet food. We have 2 dogs. But, in a 'missile' crisis, we won't have time to run out and get dog food. I try to always have at least 2 HUGE bags on hand. Cats can be so easy, lol! I like the idea of a large 'pottie' tray for the pups. Seriously, all I'd need is a pile of dirty clothes for one of my dogs. He's getting older, and if I don't get him out, in time, in the morning, and I've started laundry the day before ... he'll use that pile to lift his leg! :crazy:
ReadyMom
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Next

Return to General Family Preparedness