• Advertisement

The Crisis Cooker

General Preparedness Topics Relating to your Family

Moderators: IceFire, raggi5

The Crisis Cooker

Postby lovie_5 » Wed Nov 03, 2010 3:13 pm

I am really new to all of this and am just starting to investigate alternate ways of doing things. I found The Crisis Cooker on the internet and was just wondering if anyoe has used one of these and what they thought about it?
lovie_5

Re: The Crisis Cooker

Postby CajunDaddys_girl » Wed Nov 03, 2010 3:53 pm

Thats a Volcano Grill. We have one and love it. We bought ours for emergencies and because you can use various forms of fuel like propane, wood or charcol..
We use a dutch oven with ours.. It is a great emergency grill to have on hand.

http://www.volcanogrills.com/
CajunDaddys_girl

Postby Whisper » Wed Nov 03, 2010 6:53 pm

Funny you should ask. I know someone with, um, one or two of these and other types. She brought them to our NC meet-up. I will PM her for you.
Survival Shelters and Retreats - viewforum.php?f=172Image BOB's & BOV's - viewforum.php?f=170 Image
NC Forum - http://www.NorthCarolinaPreppersNetwork.net"
Whisper
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby Elona » Wed Nov 03, 2010 7:10 pm

I have a Volcano grill as well. I think they cost less than the crisis cooker and are very well made and sturdy.
Support APN and become a Gold Member Today! Free E-book "It's a Disaster And What Are You Gonna Do About It?" Free Lifetime Membership at SafeCastle Royal. 30% Discount at SurvivalCD.com. All this and more! Sign Up Here It takes a person two years to learn to talk and the rest of their life to learn not to. (my father's saying)
Elona
Kansas State Moderator
Kansas State Moderator

Postby Vina8 » Wed Nov 03, 2010 7:35 pm

Besides having a variety of camping and backpacking stoves using a variety of fuel, we bought a Stove Tec Rocket Stove so we have one that works well burning wood which is easily attainable for us. Here is a link to a site that has a video and review of it. A 5% discount is also available through them. http://www.tacticalintelligence.net/blo ... -stove.htm
_________________________________________________________________________________________________

V8

Vina8's blog: http://ncpreppers.com/
Vina8's Facebook page: http://www.facebook.com/ncpreppers
Vina8
North Carolina Preppers Network

Postby tigger2 » Wed Nov 03, 2010 7:40 pm

It looks similar to a volcano cooker. I have a charcoal grill. The other day I had a slab of pork ribs that I was going to grill. I was setting the grill up and I noticed that I didn't have enough charcoal. I was thinking about what I could add. I remembered that I had a wheel barrow about 2/3 full of several year old hickory nuts. They were dried out inside and out and not fit to eat. I was going to use a drip pan method to grill the ribs. I mixed the charcoal and hickory nuts together and soaked them with charcoal fluid. Worked like a charm.
Hickory nuts are very hard and dense. Once I got a good bed of coals going, the ribs cooked good. With the drip pan method, you put an old bread pan in the middle of the grill and fill it with your choice of liquid. The liquid could be coke, beer, water, wine, etc. I used an off brand cola that I didn't like. The ribs are not directly over the heat and cook slow. It took about 2 1/2 hours to cook them. The liquid forms a steam that keeps the ribs moist. Drip pan grilling is slow but the results are worth it. The last 15 minutes, I brushed the sauce on them. With drip pan grilling, you are limited to the size of the pan as to how much meat you can grill. I could pull the meat off the bone with a fork.
Red Queen: I can give you the code, but first you must do something for me.
Alice: What?
Red Queen: One of your group has been infected. I require her life for the code.

Resident Evil

Region 1
tigger2
Prepper Emeritus

Postby cherokeenut » Wed Nov 03, 2010 8:14 pm

We bought the "Crisis cooker" too and found out it was a Volcano stove but marked up higher, go to http://www.volcanogrill.com I can't say enough good things about this stove, it does everything they say it does. It will cook things faster and better, and oh boy does it work well with a 12" dutch oven! Take my advise and also order the cookbook too, you'll be glad you did.
Support APN and become a Gold Member Today! Free E-book "It's a Disaster And What Are You Gonna Do About It?" Free Lifetime Membership at SafeCastle Royal. 30% Discount at SurvivalCD.com. All this and more! Sign Up Here
cherokeenut
Colorado State Moderator
Colorado State Moderator

Postby cherokeenut » Wed Nov 03, 2010 8:36 pm

As a note buy it with the propane burner too, I see on their site that they have it on sale for $129 for everything, that's about $50 less than I paid. :cursing:
Support APN and become a Gold Member Today! Free E-book "It's a Disaster And What Are You Gonna Do About It?" Free Lifetime Membership at SafeCastle Royal. 30% Discount at SurvivalCD.com. All this and more! Sign Up Here
cherokeenut
Colorado State Moderator
Colorado State Moderator

Postby Whisper » Wed Nov 03, 2010 9:44 pm

Forgive me all for this, but why does everyone like these things so much? I'm guessing that it's because of the different fuels. But to me, nothing beats cooking on an open fire, the taste and the experience. Plus, you don't have to cut the wood so small. So what am I missing here?
Survival Shelters and Retreats - viewforum.php?f=172Image BOB's & BOV's - viewforum.php?f=170 Image
NC Forum - http://www.NorthCarolinaPreppersNetwork.net"
Whisper
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby cherokeenut » Wed Nov 03, 2010 9:56 pm

Whisper wrote:Forgive me all for this, but why does everyone like these things so much? I'm guessing that it's because of the different fuels. But to me, nothing beats cooking on an open fire, the taste and the experience. Plus, you don't have to cut the wood so small. So what am I missing here?

Quite simply my dear whisper (ok sorry bad pun), you just have to try one. The big advantage is that they make a huge amount of heat on just a little bit of fuel. They are a lot like a Rocket stove in theory, the draft effect causes the fuel to burn hot and after they get going the smoke is virtualy invisible because combustion is so complete. When using a dutch oven you don't even have to put any heat on the lid because the heat is so uniform around the oven.
cherokeenut
Colorado State Moderator
Colorado State Moderator

Postby kr105 » Wed Nov 10, 2010 10:15 pm

If you've not purchased your cooker already, let me offer another possibility for you to consider. I went with a Cobb BBQ instead since it allows you to bake as well as broil for several hours on a minimum of fuel (6-8 pieces of charcoal.) You can also pick it up and move it while you are cooking, since it is insulated. Try that with a volcano stove.

As a backup to that, I have a thermette which allows you to cook and boil water at the same time, using any type of fuel handy. Frankly, I had to have the Thermette "altered" before it became viable to use. The handle was just too flimsy and I burned my hand the first time I used it. A quick trip to a welder and that puppy was taken off and a more sturdier and larger handle put on in it's place.

kr105
Pennsylvania State Moderator
Pennsylvania State Moderator

Postby cherokeenut » Wed Nov 10, 2010 11:45 pm

Actually that's one of the pluses of a volcano stove, to be able to touch it on the outside while it's burning. That's a good stove there too.
cherokeenut
Colorado State Moderator
Colorado State Moderator

Postby CajunDaddys_girl » Thu Nov 11, 2010 8:18 am

All of the principles of the Cobb BBQ apply to the Volcano Stove, you can use wood, propane, charcol for fuel and not to mention you can also use / insert your 12 inch dutch oven for some serious cooking.
Has anyone tried the Cajun Microwave?
CajunDaddys_girl

Postby trampart » Wed Feb 02, 2011 7:46 am

Howdy Folks,

This is my first post here, so just to give you a bit of background: I live in the Florida Mountains where I drink from and bathe in the creek (summer and winter), cook and heat with wood, and generally live what most would call a primitive lifestyle. I've lived like this for more than a quarter century. Therefore, I know whereof I speak.

As far as survival cook stoves, I've tried most of them. I own the Thermette, Volcano, several wood-gas stoves, and quite a few others, but for my money the all around best is the stove made by http://www.StoveTec.net. I own three of them plus their water sterilizer. Unlike the Thermette (which costs 2 1/2 times as much, their water pasteurize will sterilize (or boil if you prefer) three times as much (6 quarts) in just minutes. The stove gives a hot, long lasting smokeless fire using just twigs or scraps of wood. I think it is the ideal survival stove. They even have one that burns charcoal.

Check it out and tell me what you think. :clap:

Michael
trampart

Postby Vina8 » Wed Feb 02, 2011 9:51 am

Welcome to the forum, trampart! I look forward to your posts. I really like the StoveTec. We bought one last year. Here is a thread I started about it last spring: viewtopic.php?f=161&t=2326&hilit=stovetec. I am happy to hear your experience with it since you have used it a lot more than we have. Thanks for the post.
_________________________________________________________________________________________________

V8

Vina8's blog: http://ncpreppers.com/
Vina8's Facebook page: http://www.facebook.com/ncpreppers
Vina8

Next

Return to General Family Preparedness