• Advertisement

Another thing about chickens

Livestock discussions including other discussions such as poultry, fish farms and beekeeping.

Moderator: mmpaints

Another thing about chickens

Postby victoria » Sun Jan 03, 2010 6:50 pm

We have chickens too. And compost ,so I'm trying to talk the hubby into rigging up a stove to do my canning this year by using methane. Chicken poop and compost make methane gas as they break down and since my friends think I'm the lost Marx sister Cheapo I can't let this go to waste! I think all you need are plastic barrells with tight fitting lids and some kind of tubing and a shut off valve. It will be an adventure if I can get him to do it, but it was just an idea.
victoria

Re: Another thing about chickens

Postby RockinB » Sun Jan 03, 2010 7:19 pm

If we see your husband running around here without eyebrows we'll know what happened!
Good luck!
There are two theories to arguing with women. Neither one works.
RockinB

Postby ponymama44 » Sun Jan 03, 2010 7:57 pm

omg - where do you live - when we see a huge fire ball over your state we will know what happened!
Having Fun is Priority One!
ponymama44

Postby victoria » Sun Jan 03, 2010 8:52 pm

I'm in good old boring Ohio! So when you see that big fireball let all of the preppers know they need not run to their shelters just yet, it's just me experimenting with chicken poop! I don't know about the hubby's eyebrows, but if it burnt the hair off my legs and I din't have to stockpile razors I'd be fine with that. Hmm.... maybe I'll wear a tank top when I'm doing this too.
victoria

Postby RockinB » Sun Jan 03, 2010 9:51 pm

We spread our straw "pattied" chicken poop in resting box planters in the garden. Plants really take off in a rested "composted" box planter with old chicken poop.
We learned this the hard way by burning all our newly transplanted tomatoes a few years ago with fresh poop. That stuff is more powerful than cow pies.
You be careful out there!

How's your economy in Ohio? I've read about Wilmington and some other towns around Cleveland.
I grew up on a farm in Harpersfield, just south of Geneva.
RockinB

Postby victoria » Mon Jan 04, 2010 7:19 am

Our economy is not as bad as some yet, but we are seeing steady price increases and lots of unemployment.I use as many coupons as I can get my hands on. My hubby still has his job so I thank the Lord everyday for that. That's why I'm so glad I found this site because alot of the people I know just don't get it! They think everything I do is too much work or takes too much time.
victoria

Postby RockinB » Mon Jan 04, 2010 8:37 pm

We have been very lucky here with both of us keeping our jobs for another year. Soon we may all have more time on our hands to get back to frugality and a self sustained existence. Hard times build good people, and it can also bring out the worst in people. Those that don’t prepare may have much pain without income from a job or a safety net when none are there. We will keep prepping here no matter what is being reported by the media. As each month ticks away we gain a greater piece of mind with progress. Those people living in tents today had no idea their world would collapse. Those that are not prepping today place their entire family’s livelihood in the hands of others. I refuse to do that and I believe all preppers have the same goal.
RockinB

Postby dataman19 » Sat Nov 26, 2011 8:23 am

Actually it isn't as simple as a barrel with a tight lid and some tubing....
methane is dangerous, and if you don't compress it the flame will travel down the tube - that's when the big fireball happens.... On the other side of the coin, methane compressed is also hazardous, but more manageable.
Here is how we did it in the 60's (my high school years):::
You need a tank with an open top in the ground and a second tank just slightly smaller that you can turn over and fit into the open top tank in the ground. Oh yea, you have to cut the top off of the second tank, then turn it over.
Since you will probably not be able to get two tanks that will easily fit inside one another and give a gas tight seal, yet be free moving - you will have to install a seal around the opening of the inverted tank, and a seal around the opening of the open top in ground tank.
In Tennessee we used my dad's machine shop to roll two tanks cylinders that had one 3/4" smaller than the other one. And our tanks cylinders were 4.5' in diameter - lots of poo gas space.....
It is a good idea to fill the areas between the seals with water - but we will get to that.
Make sure you install a feed trough/pipe so that you can put more poo into the biogas generator (that is what you are building a poo gas generator , ah err: I mean "BioGas Generator"). The trough/pipe should feed to the bottom of the tank.
Now the fun part....
When you fill the generator up with biogas generating poo liquid, the gas generated will fill up the inverted tank with gas. The tank will float, because the gas pushes it up. So when the generator is building up gas you can judge it's efficiency by how much the tank rises. The water/liquid between the two tanks seal create a useable gas seal, but won't seal all the gas in - but there should be plenty to work with anyway. After all we are talking about methane generating poo...There is an inherent problem here that you need to be aware of - The generator can produce enough gas to literally push the inverted tank up and out. I know this, because in 1968 at Mr Osterday's Farm in Tennessee we had this happen. And we were using steel tanks...
Now about pressure regulation. The inverted tank should provide the necessary pressure regulation (it compresses the gas based upon the shear weight of the tank). If your tank doesn't weigh enough, put some bricks or blocks on top until you get the pressure you are looking for.
If your tank digester doesn't produce quite enough gas - put in some pig pooh - trust me pigs are baloons because of the stuff that comes out the back is pure certified compressed methane. The main reason that pig farmers don't smoke in the pig pens isn't because it annoys the pigs, it's just most people like to butcher their pigs in a controlled environment, pigs exploding is also hard on the ear drums...
You can connect a gas line to the inverted tank top (should have already figured that out, and you probably did,,,, just checking).
You can feed this to a gas water heater or a gas furnace. But please,,, and I'll say it twice - "Please" don't pipe the gas into the house or living quarters, or even your barn - unless you want to collect the fire insurance policy. Methane is odorless and deadly. Mixed with air, its highly volatile and it increases exponentially (did I forget to tell you about the methane generator that literally blew apart and launched the inverted tank for a quarter mile???).
You can make a simple gas safety valve with an old propane tank or air tank. Just weld a gas feed tube into the tank that enters from the top and exits in the tank at 1/2" from the tank bottom (with tank sitting upright). Then attach a gas hose to the regular tank outlet. Install a fill tube so you can fill the tank over half full of water. You can install a simple plastic tube with two fittings and elbows installed into the side of the tank (make sure you install it so the top fitting is right at and slightly below the desired water level.). Then when you fill it with water just fill until the water just disappears above the sight tube. The reason for not having the sight tube extending above the water line is a safety concern...
The sight tubes' function is just to fill the tank. The tank as described is a safety pop bubbler. It contains the flame spread to the output feed tube and the tank itself. Since the methane flame will not travel through the water, the water is the safety shield to keep methane gas out of your gazillion gallon methane generator tank. Since the sight tube is a plastic tube, you do not want it to be blown off the side of the tank, so you do not want the top of the plastic sight tube to exit in the air space above the water line. But you do want to know when the water line drops dangerously low - so you can put more water in..
The use of the bubbler is still not an excuse or valid safety device to plumb raw methane into the barn or living quarters. Please confine the furnace or water heater to a small out building. You won't be sorry. And safety of personnel and livestock is paramount here.
Other than that, Best wishes...
Dave
Phoenix, AZ
dataman19

Postby mmpaints » Sat Nov 26, 2011 11:40 am

My experiences with methane gas (via the coal mine and mine examiners training).... methane is most explosive in a mixture between 5 and 15% in normal air. As areas of coal mines are mined out and sealed, the methane liberating from the coal seam (it's constant and builds up fast) will displace the air in the sealed off areas which allows gas companies to tap it for resale.

So, if you place your "poop" in an enclosed container to build up methane, youre just fine with it until you are ready to use it(mix it with air).

Also note that there are several properties close by me that use the methane from the coal seam/oil wells to their benefit by tapping directly in and using the gas. You ever see the pipe with the flame next to the oil well? That's methane being vented(wasted) and burned off. The true danger of methane is that it is odorless and you can't see it. A methane detector is expensive too.

Your idea is not a far fetched one but a simple barrel may not produce methane in the quantity you'll need for any real application.
"Life is hard. It's even harder if you're stupid". - John Wayne

WARNING- i change my avatar frequently for my own enjoyment. Complaining about it won't help ;)
mmpaints
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Return to Livestock and more