• Advertisement

Raising Chickens

Livestock discussions including other discussions such as poultry, fish farms and beekeeping.

Moderator: mmpaints

Re: Raising Chickens

Postby 2thebackwoods » Tue Apr 16, 2013 2:52 pm

What does bunble foot look like? Where do you get this Pen-g to treat it? Is it a shot you have to give them? The wife has got a chicken. That it has a bad foot.
Thanks
2thebackwoods

Postby Wysong » Fri Apr 19, 2013 6:16 pm

theoutback wrote:I've got a rookie question for you all. When is a good time to put you chicks out in the coop? Mine are in the house in a tub under a heat lamp. They seem to be doing great, and would say they have between 60-80% of there feathers in. Our temps are getting into the mid 50's to mid 60's for highs and 40's at night. There is a heat lamp in the coop.

Are they ready to go out, or should I wait a little longer? Thanks!

I would wait until the nights are in the 50s. And give them space while indoors. I always used large cartons from whatever store I could get them from and plenty of woodchips over newspapers for bedding which was changed daily. You don't want them to chill off or pile up smothering those on the bottom if you put them outside too soon.
Wysong

Postby theoutback » Sat Apr 20, 2013 6:11 am

Thanks Wysong. I put them out a couple days ago. They seem to be doing well. The heat lamp is shining down toward a couple of the nesters and I found them curled up under them this morning, but when I opened the door to the fenced in area, they took right off out the door to go scratch around despite temps around 40. Hardy little girls!
theoutback

Postby theoutback » Mon Apr 22, 2013 2:51 pm

Here's the girls enjoying their new pad...I hope!
Attachments
DSCN1864.JPG
theoutback

Postby Unknown » Thu May 02, 2013 3:08 pm

Nice, we will be getting our baby chicks in about 2 weeks. I I'm in the proses of planing the coop and run now. I want to get about 12 chickens and 4 ducks for the amount of eggs we go through.
Unknown
Arizona Preppers Network
Arizona Preppers Network

Postby Brightdays » Thu May 02, 2013 3:28 pm

I really want chickens. Just don't have money to build or buy a coop right now. I am going to save for next year. We have a good size hard but they will need to stay penned or our mutt might get them. Plus the hawks and raccoons around here too. I am looking forward to fresh eggs. My older daughter with special needs loves chickens so I want to get some she can handle.
Brightdays

Postby mom2grandma » Thu May 02, 2013 4:33 pm

Hubby just went to pick up our 100 meat chickens. in 8 to 10 weeks all chickens will be the freezer or canned. Restocking has begun
mom2grandma

Postby Lynda » Fri May 03, 2013 3:50 am

Everything is ready; the coop will be modified today to make it a little larger, the run is completed, the water and feed dispensers here and plenty of feed. Husband going to Vermont tomorrow to pick up 4 pullets. We've never owned chickens, or any other livestock before so we're looking forward to this.
THINK......It's not illegal yet.

I Am Responsible For What I Say. I Am Not Responsible For What You Understand.
Lynda
Massachusetts Preppers Network

Postby theoutback » Fri May 03, 2013 5:13 am

As of right now, they are a lot easier to take care of than I thought. Tough little girls!
theoutback

Postby Lynda » Fri May 03, 2013 5:16 am

theoutback wrote:As of right now, they are a lot easier to take care of than I thought. Tough little girls!

That's what I keep hearing from everyone who has them. How long have you had yours? New to this, too?
THINK......It's not illegal yet.

I Am Responsible For What I Say. I Am Not Responsible For What You Understand.
Lynda

Postby theoutback » Fri May 03, 2013 6:30 pm

Lynda wrote:
theoutback wrote:As of right now, they are a lot easier to take care of than I thought. Tough little girls!

That's what I keep hearing from everyone who has them. How long have you had yours? New to this, too?

Ya this is my first time w/ chickens Lynda, but I'm not a newbie to birds. I've raised quail and pheasant to train my Brittney's for hunting. I think we've had them for about 5-6 weeks now. We've been letting them out while we've been grilling and eating outside the last few nights. Boy they love bugging around in Mrs Outback's flower gardens. Funny they are just like wild turkeys, calling back and forth to keep contact w/ each other. They've also have really put on the weight the last couple weeks, been eating like pigs.

Did you get yours yet? Whoops, never mind, just noticed you said your getting them tomorrow. Let us know how you like them. Good luck!
theoutback

Postby RevGreg » Tue Apr 14, 2015 3:45 am

Mollypup wrote:Oh, wow! So many to choose from! :) And yeah, I'll need that full size door. lol Thanks!

Hi all I am a new member with only an intro as a post. Is there required number of replies before a member can create a thread? I was going to start a thread but I guess it would be appro here! I have some property that I will eventually move to. It has only one building (under construction) on it now but no water. The closest natural water is about a half mile vertically down the 45 or better degree knolls slope to the river right below it lol. But the reason for this post is that I was thinking about raising some free range chickens on top of the mountain/knoll. I can see my land from my city home back porch so its less than 5min away. I have a little experience raising goats on the same property, however there was water available on it then. I have zero experience with birds of any kind. Is there any good resource magazine or book to give me some idea on free range birds and maybe exotics later on? Btw, I do see a (beautiful) redtail hawk now and again circling above the areas. Also eagles were released a few years back in the area. Thanks and I love this forum!
RevGreg

Previous

Return to Livestock and more