• Advertisement

Building a chicken coop

Livestock discussions including other discussions such as poultry, fish farms and beekeeping.

Moderator: mmpaints

Re: Building a chicken coop

Postby North Idaho Patriot » Wed Jan 13, 2010 11:15 am

SciFiChick wrote:
Jinnig1 wrote:In the summer heat having a solid cover gives the coop shade for the chickens to get under, makes the chickens "invisible" to overhead predators, and should a lion or other large animal jump up to try to get over the fence, it is sturdy enough they don't fall right through it and get at the birds.

Ummmm You have a lion problem where you live? :o :lol:

LOL...different kind of lion Sci...We got em up here too:
[img]
http://seesdifferent.files.wordpress.co ... n-lion.jpg[/img]
North Idaho Patriot
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby North Idaho Patriot » Wed Jan 13, 2010 11:16 am

well shoot, that pic didnt show up...looks like I got more learnin to do on this forum, just click the link then. http://seesdifferent.files.wordpress.co ... n-lion.jpg
North Idaho Patriot
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby tigger2 » Wed Jan 13, 2010 1:16 pm

Red Queen: I can give you the code, but first you must do something for me.
Alice: What?
Red Queen: One of your group has been infected. I require her life for the code.

Resident Evil

Region 1
tigger2
Prepper Emeritus

Postby PrepperMom » Wed Jan 13, 2010 1:31 pm

I have a question with chicken coops , what DO you heat them with ? We are running into double digit negatives where I am .
PrepperMom
Missouri Preppers Network

Postby tigger2 » Wed Jan 13, 2010 1:44 pm

You could run an electrical cord out there and use a small space heater. If the coop is sealed up pretty good that would work. If their feet get wet from rain or due their feet will freeze to the roost. The feathers are insulation so they would not need much heat if any. If you do use extension cord, get one long one. That way you won't have a problem with it getting wet. If the cord gets wet, it could short out and cause a fire. I would try it without heat first. Chickens are dumb but they are tough. They can withstand a lot.
Red Queen: I can give you the code, but first you must do something for me.
Alice: What?
Red Queen: One of your group has been infected. I require her life for the code.

Resident Evil

Region 1
tigger2
Prepper Emeritus

Postby sbsion » Wed Jan 13, 2010 2:04 pm

because of the "volume of chickens" we have, even though it's been 27 below this winter, and not above freezing for a month, the chickens have enough body heat and have survived well...Nature is very helful..no artifical heat
there are no mysteries, only undiscovered truths, find one today

-----------------------------------------------
Food, water and first aid problems?
http://www.oursurvival2012.blogspot.com
sbsion

Postby PrepperMom » Wed Jan 13, 2010 2:13 pm

TY All
PrepperMom

Postby Jinnig1 » Thu Jan 14, 2010 8:01 am

Wow, Legacy, you've had it rough. I'd take all that as an omen from God I wasn't meant to keep chickens about the time the coop burned down. The next one I make will be "earth sheltered" (dug out of a hillside). It will stop varmints from digging in, will stay naturally warmer, and I can cover it with grass to attract bugs to keep them busy. I can run pvc pipe underground with an extension cord in it to the coop, hang a 100 watt light bulb from the ceiling and put it on a timer in the house.

My sister lives out in no man's land (Montana). They have a horrible problem with grasshoppers and rabbits eating their garden. My brother in law is a bad shot so they eventually got a cat that keeps the rabbits away...and a few large ducks that eat the grasshopper. I haven't seen one there since. I think the ducks terrorize the cat and coyotes so it works out well.
Jinnig1

Postby juju_mommy » Fri Jan 15, 2010 8:25 pm

Glad I found this thread! Thanks for all the great advice and the pictures.

We are in the middle of collecting "supplies" to build a coop now. I was hoping to get chicks in a couple of months. My grandparents gave me a dog kennel and I searched around online and found different examples of how people have used the kennels as coops. We plan to put a cover over it for protection from flying preditors and from the hot Louisiana sun. The problem I'm having is raccons and dogs. Several of our neighbors have chickens and about half of those neighbors stopped keeping them because too many raccons and dogs in the area getting in. One of those neighbors used a kennel set up (similar to what I'm trying to put together) and he dug the fencing into the ground but they still got through. I think, though, that he didnt' dig down far and didn't use secure enough fencing for that part.

My biggest delima, I guess, is that I'm really interested in letting the chickens graze around in a chicken tractor. My plan was to have a permanent set up made from the dog kennel and then a separate A-frame chicken tractor for them to graze around the yard part of the day. But from what I'm being told by my neighbors, it's almost imposible unless you have the time to sit out there with them at the tractor the whole time. Well, I work during the day so that's out of the question.

PS. The website that I've enjoyed the much during my online researching is www.backyardchickens.com. They have a great forum there. They also have tons of pictures of coops, organized by size and how elaborate they are.
juju_mommy
Louisiana Preppers Network
Louisiana Preppers Network

Postby Zombie Axe » Tue Jan 19, 2010 2:23 pm

Here is how I did it. Not the cheap way, but it may give you some ideas. Chickens are easy!!!
http://zombieaxe.blogspot.com/2009/06/r ... unker.html

later,
ZA
www.zombieaxe.blogspot.com
Zombie Axe
North Carolina A.N.T.S. Member

Postby sbsion » Tue Jan 19, 2010 2:26 pm

btw, by placing a light in the coup, never turning it offf, we have even gotten three dozen eggs a day all winter from 50 chickens, summers bring us 50 eggs
there are no mysteries, only undiscovered truths, find one today

-----------------------------------------------
Food, water and first aid problems?
http://www.oursurvival2012.blogspot.com
sbsion

Postby IceFire » Tue Jan 19, 2010 2:36 pm

Juju_mommy,

With the kennel set-up, you could lay down chicken wire underneath the kennel, and wire it to the underside of the kennel, as well as doing the same at the top, then put the cover on top of the chicken wire. That should keep the varmints out. I'll have to hunt for where I saw it, but I DID see a checket tractor set-up that included a chicken wire roof, to keep the birds safe from predators. If I find a link, I'll post it.
"Guns are like shoes...a woman should have one in EVERY caliber!"
IceFire
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby Zombie Axe » Tue Jan 19, 2010 9:51 pm

sbsion wrote:btw, by placing a light in the coup, never turning it offf, we have even gotten three dozen eggs a day all winter from 50 chickens, summers bring us 50 eggs

I did this with the recent cold snap and my birds did not want to go in the coop at night. So for me I only run it 2 hours a night now... Still get 6 from 6 :)
Zombie Axe

Postby nighthawk » Fri Jan 22, 2010 12:00 pm

Ok, today is the day!!! we are leaving here in a little while to bartons to buy the lumber for the chicken coop and then to Atwoods for the supplies that we need. I am excited:-)
nighthawk

Postby Unforgiven » Sun May 30, 2010 3:55 pm

Here is my chicken coop and attached run. And construction photos as it was built.

http://www.backyardchickens.com/web/vie ... p?id=43980
Unforgiven
Nevada A.N.T.S. Member
Nevada A.N.T.S. Member

PreviousNext

Return to Livestock and more