• Advertisement

Rabbits

Livestock discussions including other discussions such as poultry, fish farms and beekeeping.

Moderator: mmpaints

Re: Rabbits

Postby Asatrur » Thu Dec 27, 2012 3:52 pm

I am new to raising meat rabbits, so I have some questions for you experts
1. We have 4 rabbits and 3 of them are set for slaughter, as we are going to use the mom to breed again. They are a cross between an American mom and a New Zealand dad and yypically how much should rabbits weigh before one slaughters them?
2. Regarding feed, we purchased the largest hanging feeder we could find, which is 4x4 inches and if we fill it up full, in a day or so it is empty with all four rabbits eating from it, so I am wondering is this too much food, not enough, etc.
3. I know there are many ways to kill the rabbit including the .22, broomstick method, and others, so what would folk say is the best method to deal with this task? We cannot slaughter in town, so I need to go into the national forest and deal with this.
Thanks,
Asatrur
One is none, two is one!
Asatrur
Extra license HAM
Asatrur
Colorado Preppers Network

Postby Disa » Thu Dec 27, 2012 4:18 pm

Asatrur wrote:I am new to raising meat rabbits, so I have some questions for you experts
1. We have 4 rabbits and 3 of them are set for slaughter, as we are going to use the mom to breed again. They are a cross between an American mom and a New Zealand dad and yypically how much should rabbits weigh before one slaughters them?
2. Regarding feed, we purchased the largest hanging feeder we could find, which is 4x4 inches and if we fill it up full, in a day or so it is empty with all four rabbits eating from it, so I am wondering is this too much food, not enough, etc.
3. I know there are many ways to kill the rabbit including the .22, broomstick method, and others, so what would folk say is the best method to deal with this task? We cannot slaughter in town, so I need to go into the national forest and deal with this.
Thanks,
Asatrur

I'm not an expert by any means but having acquired rabbits a few months ago I feel like I have read everything out there.

1. At 10-12 weeks most rabbits, especially offspring of NZs, will be ready for processing. At 10 weeks the rabbits are of sufficient size and and the meat is at its tenderest. After 12 weeks, the meat begins to toughen and there is not enough additional meat to justify the cost if feeding the rabbits the additional weeks. So between 10-12 weeks is the optimal time to get the best bang for your feed dollars.

2. Regarding feeding: Adult NZ bucks should have no more than 6 oz of feed per day. You do not want him getting too chubby as this will interfer with his ability to breed. Apparently, male rabbits get fat and sexually lazy! :) Adult NZ does should have about 8 oz of feed per day. Young rabbits should be allowed to eat whatever they want to optimize meat production.

Are all your rabbits caged together? It sounds like they might be and you might want to consider a separate cage for your breeding doe. That will allow you to have greater control over her diet while letting the young ones (in a separate "grow-out" cage) eat their fill.

3. My nephew swears by the broomstick method; however, everything I've read says that which ever method you use to dispatch the rabbits should be the method you are most comfortable with. We have yet to process at our house, but my boyfriend (to whom this task has been given) says he will also use the broomstick method. It saves ammo, avoids the bruising of meat that can occur with the "baseball bat to the back of the neck" method and is what he feels is the most humane since it is quick and relatively fail-proof. The last thing you want is a "do-over". But again, go with whatever method you personally feel you will be most comfortable with as you'll be more successful with that method.
Disa

Postby boltactionreducer » Tue Jan 01, 2013 10:39 pm

Asatrur wrote:I am new to raising meat rabbits, so I have some questions for you experts
Thanks,
Asatrur

first your set up sounds off to me you need pens for breeding and grow out pens after your bunnies after they are weened leaving adualt rabitts penned together is not a good idea they will fight also feed in a different pen wont be eaten in day and will not be as much of a chore. killing 22 or high power air rifle or use a hammer hanger you place the head inside at the neck and yank down hard on the legs this will break the neck you can also do this by steping on their head and pulling however the feel of doing this is rather unpleasnt for me and less efective as the other two. You can take your animals out of town if you wish however the task of butchering rabbits can be done almost anyware unoticed
boltactionreducer

Postby bennettvm » Sun Feb 24, 2013 6:47 pm

I sell the meat to a meat vendor at a farmers market. Sell pet rabbits for extra cash. We also use the rabbit droppings in our vegetable gardens. The best fertilizer.
bennettvm

Postby LewisJr » Thu May 16, 2013 7:42 pm

Anyone heard of American blues..that's what I'm breeding. And its a dual purpose rabbit
LewisJr

Postby Elite84 » Sun Jun 02, 2013 9:39 pm

I have the American blues they are hard to find, mine are breeding very well. Got 2 litters ready to go soon if anyone needs a breeding pair or 2.
Elite84

NZ white Buck Rabbits today!

Postby grizzwald » Sun Aug 25, 2013 9:09 am

I pick up my two NZ white bucks today! I pick up two NZ does tomorrow. I will be using an empty chicken coop for my rabbit house (we have other active coops with chickens and turkeys). I have more cages to assemble; and fast. I'll be hanging the cages and diverting the manure into a plastic gutter which then will feed the manure into a collection bucket for transport to the garden.

Wish us luck!
Grizz
Near Denver CO
grizzwald

Re: NZ white Buck Rabbits today!

Postby pelenaka » Sun Aug 25, 2013 11:49 am

grizzwald wrote:I pick up my two NZ white bucks today! I pick up two NZ does tomorrow. I will be using an empty chicken coop for my rabbit house (we have other active coops with chickens and turkeys). I have more cages to assemble; and fast. I'll be hanging the cages and diverting the manure into a plastic gutter which then will feed the manure into a collection bucket for transport to the garden.

Wish us luck!

Your collection method is the bomb baby will make you wish you could do it for all your critters. That was the method we used for Winter when buns were in the green house. Warm weather cages were on top of raised garden beds. Every 3 days or so I just added a layer of dirt or leaves combined with green compost material.
Good luck !
pelenaka
New York Preppers Network

Postby grizzwald » Tue Aug 27, 2013 1:56 am

I finally got my two buck NZ rabbits and my two doe NZ rabbits settled into the rabbit coop. I haven't decided when I will breed them yet.
Grizz
Near Denver CO
grizzwald

Postby grizzwald » Fri Aug 30, 2013 4:40 pm

A video on my rabbit setup

Grizz
Near Denver CO
grizzwald

Postby pelenaka » Sat Aug 31, 2013 2:40 pm

Looks good, your gonna love the cages hanging.
pelenaka

Mmmm

Postby Asatrur » Sun Sep 08, 2013 4:06 pm

Just finished a lunch consisting of half of one of rabbit pot pies made with our own rabbits and veggies from last year. Cannot wait for lunch tomorrow for the other half.
One is none, two is one!
Asatrur
Extra license HAM
Asatrur

Previous

Return to Livestock and more