• Advertisement

Problem w/chicken-killing neighbor dogs

Livestock discussions including other discussions such as poultry, fish farms and beekeeping.

Moderator: mmpaints

Problem w/chicken-killing neighbor dogs

Postby FussyOldHen » Thu Jun 09, 2016 8:33 pm

I'm having a problem figuring out what to do here.

I have some new neighbors on the other side of my back fence. I have a wire mesh fence that has always been fine for keeping my dog in the yard. I didn't realize that I should have installed an 8-ft concrete wall w/razor wire and broken glass on the top to keep out the local dogs and the meth maggots (etc).

Two of the three dogs behind me have gotten into my yard. The first one (Lab) killed a chicken and two ducks. Yesterday, the Siberian was in the yard, sniffing around but didn't get anything. I threw rocks at him and he left.

I am thinking of getting an electric fence, but I am at a loss as how to set it up.

This is a residential area with a combination of 1-acre lots (mine) and smaller ones. When most people install electric fences, they put the insulators INSIDE the fence to keep their own pets and livestock on their property. But that's not likely to keep other animals out, because they're probably not going to hit the hot wire until they're already on the "downhill" side of the fence (mine). Then, the hot wire will be keeping them from going home.

It is not likely that I could set up the fence with the insulators on THEIR side of the fence. It's probably not legal, and their grass is 4 ft tall. And if there was a way to put insulators on the TOP of the fence, it probably wouldn't be all that much better. I've met them, and they seem capable of wetting themselves down with the hose, and then touching the fence and calling the cops about getting burned. A woman about 50, 2 younger white women with dreadlocks :glare:, and a young guy (boyfriend) whom I've not seen yet.

Anyway, here's the question: Does anyone know of a way to set up an electric fence on my side of the property that would still be effective in keeping the stupid dogs home?

Or any other solution that wouldn't cost too much.

BTW, shooting them isn't really much of an option, because the houses all around me are too close for comfort, especially theirs.
FussyOldHen

Re: Problem w/chicken-killing neighbor dogs

Postby arkieready » Thu Jun 09, 2016 9:33 pm

BB gun? Paint gun? If you can contain all your critters, set out really big rat traps to snap their dogs.
Can you get the dog catcher on your side? Video the vagrant dogs trespassing. Surely you have rules about keeping dogs in their own fenced yards or leashed?
I feel your pain, losing animals to stupid dogs. Wild critter invasions are vexing, someone's "pet" is frustrating.
I know someone who had a neighbor let his dog out of the fenced yard and then call the dog catcher on it. Unbelievable. Person had to put a video cam on his back yard.
P!

Happiness makes up in height for what it lacks in length.

--Robert Frost--
arkieready
Arkansas Preppers Network
Arkansas Preppers Network

Postby anita » Thu Jun 09, 2016 9:50 pm

In Pa we have a leash law that your dog has to be fenced or leashed. (Not to say that isn't ignored all the time). I doubt that complaining is going to authorities is going to sit well with the neighbors though.
In honor of RebNavy: "Then call us Rebels if you will, we glory in the name, for bending under unjust laws and swearing faith to an unjust cause, we count as greater shame". Richmond Daily Dispatch May 12 1862

Semper Fi, Sic Semper Tyrannis, Remember The Alamo, and Aide'toi et Dieu T'aidera!
anita

Postby Lifelong Survivalist » Fri Jun 10, 2016 3:21 am

Hello Fussy. You have a problem which could escalate out of control and become a feud and make you and your neighbors bitter enemies :x if not handled very carefully and within your laws and local ordinances. Right now, that is your main priority. To prevent a mini war. :thumbdown: I have seen this kind of thing happen over a variety of issues in several geographical areas and locations. :( You would be amazed how quickly something like this can get out of control and get blown way out of proportion. This is what I would do first. Secure your chickens and ducks. :shakeyes: Buy what ever materials you need to do this with. Get help to build it and make sure it is "Dog Proofed". Also be sure it is well inside your property boundary. :shakeyes: Shelter/coop for the birds, with a sturdy fence/barrier with a double locking gate, with a no dig barrier in the ground under the gate and fence and open space for the birds to be outside but enclosed and safe in. :thumbup: Make sure the dogs can not get into it by any method---jumping, climbing, digging, opening the gate. :shakeno: There are anti pest devices for all kinds of animals. :) There is a sonic one for dogs that emits a sound that is inaudible to humans but causes extreme inner ear pain to dogs when they hear it. :D You can get an electrician to connect it to a set of motion sensors and place them strategically on your property for good coverage. :) When the dog comes within range they will be activated and drive the dog away. :shakeyes: Don't be surprised if you hear the dog(s) howl in pain. :eek: I do not recommend the electric fence in a residential area, for liability reasons and possible violations of local ordinances. :shakeno: Electric fences are similar to an engine spark plug. Very high voltage and very low amperage. :shock: A really painful bite but not much current, so they very rarely cause damage, injury or death, but like a stun gun or tazer it is possible under certain conditions. :eek: I have tested an electric fence before just to see if it was turned on, and I have unintentionally been shocked by a car spark plug. :thumbdown: I have a cousin who urinated on an electric fence wire when he was a kid and he was not familiar with electric fences. He learned quite a lesson that day. :oops: You could also buy a slingshot called a wrist rocket and some 32 caliber steel balls or a bag of toy marbles. They will inflict pain but probably do no permanent or serious damage if you do not hit the dog in the head. :D I hope you find these suggestions to be wise and helpful to solving your problem while keeping the peace you still have with the neighbors. :thumbsup: :-) Lifelong
UNITED WE STAND, DIVIDED WE FALL :-)
Lifelong Survivalist

Postby Permafrost » Fri Jun 10, 2016 3:25 am

You could try live traps, then call animal control when you get one or simply drop it off at the pound. You could even go a step further & drop it at a pound a few cities away. I really do not know much about them, or if you could get them big enough for a full sized dog. I generally prefer anything I trap to be dead by the time I get there, there is nothing worse than a live pi$$ed off wolf lynx or wolverine in a trap when you get there to collect your fur.

You could also put a electric fence about 10 feet inside your property line. When they jump the fence they will be on the ground and then run into it, should make them turn around in a hurry & jump back on their side of the fence. Just pound in a few of those green garden stakes every 10' or 15' and string some wire between them, most animals do not actually see the wire and just get the shock. I have had some luck with them for bears, but if they get past it & inside they do a lot of damage before they get out of the enclosure. I started putting on flagging on the wire so that bears see it and associate it with the shock, it does far less damage. After a few times of getting zapped the dogs should remember & you can take it down.

If they are renters you could just get a game camera and get pics of them killing your livestock, then take the owners to small claims court. After a few court appearances they will move. This does not work if they own the home though and it will probably lead to war with your neighbors.

If it gets really bad just soak some meat in antifreeze and leave in in the yard, with your animals far away from it. By the time it hits the dogs they will be back in their yard and nobody will be the wiser. You will not have to worry about them killing your livestock anymore. I would only use this as a last resort though because it is not the dogs fault, they are only doing what is in their nature and probably have never had their behavior corrected by those they share their house with.
Permafrost
Alaska Preppers Network
Alaska Preppers Network

Postby Lifelong Survivalist » Fri Jun 10, 2016 3:47 am

Hi again fussy. Also I meant to mention what is called a "Rat Board". They are a flat strip of plastic or other material about 8" to 12" long, and 4" to 6" wide. They have an EXTREMELY STICKY goo coated on them. They are used to catch "Pack Rats" and large rats and mice. Once they step on it or touch it the board and the pest are inseparable. If you've ever had the Super Glue experience you'll understand exactly what I mean. You could place some in in special locations on your property. But if you do, do not accidentally step on one. They stick very well to shoes and human feet too. Or anything for that matter. :-) Lifelong
Lifelong Survivalist

Postby Illini Warrior » Fri Jun 10, 2016 6:33 am

sorry but they have the bloodlust & killer thing going now - you're animals are the target .... you can try passive type crap but they won't be derailed that eazy ....

you have the right to put them down - shortest route to the best ending ....
Illini Warrior
Illini Warrior

Postby ajax727 » Fri Jun 10, 2016 6:46 am

The best method would be the electric fence . You could use treated pickets like you use on deck rails for post just sharpen one end and drive them down . Drive down the post inside your fence one wire just off the ground and several wires about 6 to 8 inches apart . Use door springs on each wire level so when they hit them it will stretch out and not break . On the back of the post string up a ground wire or two in between the hot ones that will help ground the dogs to the hot wire .
The SSS method would also work just have the holes dug and ready , make sure they do not have tracking collars on them . the mounds would make real nice flower beds ..+..
To see things as they are not as they want you to see them .. With the stroke of a pen all you rights and freedom can end ...
ajax727

Postby oldasrocks » Fri Jun 10, 2016 7:37 am

Scratch the electric fence idea. I almost ended up in jail over mine. I put it up to keep my dogs from jumping the fence inside my other fence. My neighbor at the time run a daycare with about 30 kids. If they were not in the street they would climb over th fence to harass my dogs. One of them hit the fence and 3 cop cars showed up with their lights on. She told them I had it wired to 220V. I showed them my setup with a low powered fencer inside the yard and told them why. I also demanded trespassing charges be placed on the children. I was told to take the fence down. These kids were 6 to 10 yrs old.

As we live in the country and have multiple animal problems -dogs, fox, coons, opossums, etc our pen is built out of horse panels in a ring topped by a satellite dish for the new chickens. The old ones are in another pen with 5 ft horse wire and I put them up at night. Under the fence is more wire laid flat so nothing can dig under. A digging animal will dig at the fence line not 2 ft back. My dogs run the entire 5 acres which is also fenced. We shoot strays.

You might have to train the neighbor dogs. I had a Shepherd who liked to eat our guineas. I soaked a dead one in hot pepper juice for a could days then fed it to him. He would chase the guineas around but never bit or ate another one. Laxative in some meat might train the neighbors. snicker.
oldasrocks
Missouri Preppers Network
Missouri Preppers Network

Postby handyman777 » Fri Jun 10, 2016 8:34 am

Like stated, put the fence (electric) inside your fenced in area, unfortunately you lose some of your yard. Figure out how far the dogs can jump and place it in that area, the least space lost. Your property your rights.

Don't maintain this area at all... Let the grass grow, throw branches in there, etc. Unfortunately its an eye sore for you. Try and make the fence high enough so the dogs or PEOPLE have a hard time getting over it. and have the option to turn it up to 220 volts if needed :D

Are they renters ? find out, if so contact the home owner (with a lawyer if you can afford one and hold the home owner responsible, a good lawyer can find a lot of loop holes). I'm not crazy about lawyer's, you know - C.Y.A.

The things that you - me - or any of us would like to do aren't LEGAL. so be careful and also be careful of retaliation from your neighbors.

Like I've stated in other post. It seems to find us, so much for our little slice of heaven.

First you have to hang NO TRESPASSING / PRIVATE PROPERTY signs.

Check your local ordnance and see where you stand.

Probably not very good. They never want to get involved.

There is always the wood privacy fence that can get costly, but its a one time investment, now you feel like you live in a compound.
Again no one will know what you are doing in your yard.
Lure the dogs in and take them on a one way ride far far away.
I don't know what happened to your dogs ? are they gone?
problem is now they are someone else's problem.

The biggest problem is your DUMB *** neighbors.--- not the misbehaved dogs.

GOOD LUCK I hope you can figure something out.
handyman777
Michigan Preppers Network

Postby handyman777 » Fri Jun 10, 2016 10:35 am

One more thing, if you go the LEGAL route !!! you can't do anything ILLEGAL you would be the first one thats looked at ....
handyman777

Postby Lifelong Survivalist » Fri Jun 10, 2016 11:30 am

Hi again Fussy. The first thing you should remember is that the dogs are not good or bad. :| They are not humans and do not possess the power of reasoning. They are acting on instinct and obviously have not been trained. As I stated, this problem could cause you a lot of trouble you do not need or want. :| It is not the dog's fault, it is the neighbors who are not responsible pet owners. There are also animal protection laws in most states and local areas. :| Some of the advice given could get you into big trouble. You must do your best to avoid trouble, or going to court, or starting a feud. :| People have a way of wanting to seek revenge or retribution or retaliation when they feel they have been wronged. So again I advise you to first protect your birds and secure them. :| Aggression toward your neighbors or their dogs is a very poor solution to a problem that you can solve peacefully and without getting you into trouble. :| Installing a camera or two is legal and would video document any any intrusion...not only of animals but people as well. Keep a Journal of when the neighbor dogs have entered your property with dates, times and their activities while on your property. :| If you come on as "THAT MEAN OLD BI..CHY NEIGHBOR LADY" NOTHING GOOD WILL COME OF THAT. :| You should seek a positive peaceful solution first and also keep records and your Journal. And do not make threats. Too many people become "hot heads" these days and allow their emotions to rule them and their actions. :| This is not a SHTF scenario. Do your best to be a good neighbor and a good law abiding citizen. If your neighbors are bad, it doesn't mean you have to be bad or cruel to the dumb animals. :| P.S. If your chickens lay eggs and they lay more than you need, you might try offering some eggs to those neighbors. :| If they got some eggs from you now and then, they would probably be more interested in preventing their dogs from getting into your property and harming a potential generous and friendly source of better eggs than can be purchased in a store. :| The cost of doing that would be very low and the results could be surprisingly positive. :| This is the old catch more flies with honey than with vinegar philosophy. Friendliness does not cost anything but an attitude adjustment. :| :-) Lifelong
Lifelong Survivalist

Postby anita » Fri Jun 10, 2016 12:44 pm

Good idea, Lifelong. Offer them eggs, as long as your sure they won't be stealing them from you when your back is turned!
In honor of RebNavy: "Then call us Rebels if you will, we glory in the name, for bending under unjust laws and swearing faith to an unjust cause, we count as greater shame". Richmond Daily Dispatch May 12 1862

Semper Fi, Sic Semper Tyrannis, Remember The Alamo, and Aide'toi et Dieu T'aidera!
anita

Postby handyman777 » Fri Jun 10, 2016 1:24 pm

anita wrote:Good idea, Lifelong. Offer them eggs, as long as your sure they won't be stealing them from you when your back is turned!

I agree anita we try to do the right thing, but some people just expect it all the time then.

Whats that word I'm looking for- disrespectful - ignorant - ???? it will come to me.
handyman777

Postby Lifelong Survivalist » Fri Jun 10, 2016 2:24 pm

Looks like we're getting a little bit of MOB MENTALITY on this topic, ready to lynch the neighbors, who have already been before a Kangaroo Court, found guilty, prejudged and sentenced. Who brought the rope??? Where's the nearest tree??? Who brought the stones?? Whoever brought them gets to cast the first one. Stone 'em first, then lynch em, right?? Then come to realize afterward that they did not really deserve it. Yeah, right...... :thumbdown: But yes, it is always a good thing to do what is right. Karma is real. :-) Lifelong
Lifelong Survivalist

Next

Return to Livestock and more