• Advertisement

Problem w/chicken-killing neighbor dogs

Livestock discussions including other discussions such as poultry, fish farms and beekeeping.

Moderator: mmpaints

Re: Problem w/chicken-killing neighbor dogs

Postby handyman777 » Fri Jun 10, 2016 2:39 pm

Well ya know, if the neighbors dogs jumped my fence and killed the birds that I raised from little chick's or duckling's I'd be tinkled off.
Even if I was going to chop their heads off and eat them. The birds that is. When they got older.
handyman777
Michigan Preppers Network
Michigan Preppers Network

Postby Lifelong Survivalist » Fri Jun 10, 2016 3:55 pm

If I were going to raise any number of birds of any kind for eggs and meat, you can rest assured that I would secure them in the first place. An ounce of prevention is always worth a pound of cure. If I was a Lady who needed help, I would find that help, and offer to repay whoever helped with eggs and birds to butcher and eat, or cook and can. There are very many people available who like to volunteer to help someone who needs help, regardless of who the person is who seeks the help. For older folks, AARP has a lot of suggestions for finding some help of different kinds. Also food banks, and other sources. Not everything boils down to being loaded with cash. And...all people are not bad people. At least that is the way things are here in Montana. People here I guess overall get along better than people in many other parts of the country. There are probably many reasons for that. :-) Lifelong
UNITED WE STAND, DIVIDED WE FALL :-)
Lifelong Survivalist

Postby oldasrocks » Fri Jun 10, 2016 5:46 pm

Backing up- how high is the fence they are getting over to kill the chickens? Wouldn't fence post extenders and some barbed wire fix the problem? If the posts are wood you can actually run a hot wire without insulators making it less visible. Just heat up one of the barbed wires.
oldasrocks
Missouri Preppers Network

Postby FussyOldHen » Fri Jun 10, 2016 6:06 pm

Thanks for the ideas, but I think the ones about an inner electric fence are the only realistic ones. I am confident that whatever I do will be the wrong thing for this insane asylum called Washington State. The county cops and Animal Services are both as useless as they come.

I hate Washington. I HATE WASHINGTON! This is Deliverance Country. I've lived in SoCal (home of the fruits, nuts & flakes), and the Armpit of America (Las Vegas), but I've never seen people as weird, psycho-creepy and just plain stupid as here. And I'm not talking just about the lower life forms, either. Even the business people are bizarre. You probably think I'm overstating it, right? Well, WA is home to serial killers Ted Bundy, Gary Ridgway (Green River Killer), Robert Yates, Kwan Fai "Willie" Mak, Kenneth Bianchi (one of LA's Hillside Stranglers), Wesley Allen Dodd, Randy Roth, and serial rapist Kevin Coe. That's a total of 199 to 229 victims from just these eight guys! One man said, "When I moved there 16 years ago, women’s bodies were being found in the bushes twice a week and it wasn’t considered news".

The cops here are so stupid that a couple of them went to visit Ted Bundy in prison, to see if he could give them some tips to catch the Green River Killer. He TOLD them what to do, and if they had done it, they would have caught Gary Ridgway before his total (confirmed) murders hit 48 (plus suspected in five others).

Just so you don't think I'm ignoring the other suggestions:
* One of them is buying the house, not renters.
* Since I'm down to only five birds left (two are old and one is male), I'm not getting enough eggs to pass them out.
* I've very little experience shooting; I would have to buy a pellet or paintball gun.
* The dog catcher won't come even if I have the bodies piled up and the dog on a chain.
* I'm not likely to be able to catch them; they seem to have experience with strangers moving in their direction.
* I caught a previous dog twice and took her to the dog pound (50-mile round trip) TWICE. If I caught her again, I was going to spray-paint her. The release fee is only charge about $35.
* I don't give a rat's patootie what the scumbags think, because they'll do what they want, anyway.
* Photos or videos don't matter because all the court would do is tell them to pay me for what they cost (chicks, $1.85, ducks, $8) -- not even worth the cost of gas to show up.
* Traps of any kind: My own dog would get caught in them repeatedly.
* Antifreeze is one of the cruelest ways to kill an animal.
* SSS is hard work to bury three big dogs in this very rocky soil. And I haven't got a grinder like that scene in Fargo, or I could just compost them.
* NO TRESPASSING / PRIVATE PROPERTY signs wouldn't work. Half the people here can't read, and the half that can don't give a sh!t. Can't afford a lawyer.
* My wire mesh fences are held up by T-posts, and barbed wire is illegal here (I checked because that seemed like a good idea).

LifelongSurvivalist: If I added up the cost of your suggestions, it would come to more than I make in a year. And I'm not going to fix them a steak dinner and give them a bj, either.
FussyOldHen

Postby Lifelong Survivalist » Fri Jun 10, 2016 6:31 pm

Hi again Fussy. You have my sincere sympathy on the loss of your birds. I guess you will just have to do what you think best and can afford and hope for the best. Whatever you decide to do, I send you my Best Wishes and hope it all works out OK for you, your dog and your birds. If you HATE Washington, you could consider relocation and get away from there entirely. It sounds to me like your life could be improved and probably your disposition as well if you did. :-) Lifelong
UNITED WE STAND, DIVIDED WE FALL :-)
Lifelong Survivalist

Postby donba » Fri Jun 10, 2016 6:55 pm

Fussy; Check out Walmart for a cheep sling shot. Dogs aren't stupid, shoot them a few times and they will stay on there own side of the fence and just drool at your birds…...
donba

Postby FussyOldHen » Fri Jun 10, 2016 8:16 pm

Lifelong: "It sounds to me like your life could be improved and probably your disposition as well if you did. :-) "

Well, I wouldn't want to go THAT far....
FussyOldHen

Postby oldasrocks » Fri Jun 10, 2016 9:34 pm

Fussy, just pack some clean underwear and get your tail down here. We'll make room for you somehow. My wife is kinda mean but she'll grow on you in time. Plenty of jobs in town too. We're gettin old and slow so would welcome the help as long as you don't' get too pushy and make me miss a nap.
oldasrocks

Postby farmer_dude48 » Sat Jun 11, 2016 6:07 am

De-Con and ground beef. Just saying, it sounds cruel and it is ,but it also sounds like you have exhausted all other options..
" Doing what I can with what I got " Mr. Burt Gummer
farmer_dude48
Indiana Preppers Network
Indiana Preppers Network

Postby Illini Warrior » Sat Jun 11, 2016 6:39 am

farmer_dude48 wrote:De-Con and ground beef. Just saying, it sounds cruel and it is ,but it also sounds like you have exhausted all other options..

most states have explicit rules concerning livestock and predators - no need to go round-about taking those dogs out - if they are standing in your yard and close enough to throw rocks at - eazy & safe shot to make the problem go away ....
Illini Warrior
Illini Warrior

Postby oldasrocks » Sat Jun 11, 2016 7:20 am

Maybe he is not suggesting the ground beef for the dogs?

Have they heard the last 32 occupants died mysterious PAINFUL deaths which was traced to the ghosts in the house? Get a friend from another area posing as a reporter for one of those grocery store rag mags to attempt to interview them. Then once a while shoot a chunk of ice at the house wall for a thumping noise. ()ice melts- no trace)
oldasrocks

Postby Vetmike » Sat Jun 11, 2016 8:12 am

The wrist rocket idea has merit as does getting the heck away from your neighbors.
Vetmike

Postby Justmeandher » Sat Jun 11, 2016 8:38 am

Fussy- not sure how your place is set up. Back fence- 6' galvanized fence line posts (Lowes $12 each) slide those over your t-posts then retie your original wire to the new posts and add additional wire to the top of the existing wire and tie to the posts. you now have a 6' high fence.
Justmeandher
North Carolina Preppers Network
North Carolina Preppers Network

Postby terrapin » Sat Jun 11, 2016 9:14 am

Fussy,
Unless you plan to get more birds, the expense and the trouble of defending what you have is not practical.
If you are determined to keep birds, there are two options I would consider.

1) Run a hotwire on the inside of your fence.
2) Get a BB gun. They are cheap, and quiet.

I would do both.

I realize it's not the same in some places,
but,
round these parts, stray dogs most usually don't return home.

terp
terrapin

Postby FussyOldHen » Mon Jun 13, 2016 1:13 am

JustMeAndHere: Now that is an idea that is totally new to me! I'll have to think about that!

Terrapin: What I'm uncertain about with that hot-wire idea is that with the hot-wire on the INSIDE of my fence, they will already be coming over by the time they hit it, and not be able to shift into reverse. I just picked up a Wrist Rocket today, so I'll have to practice with that. I wonder if a slingshot is considered 'deadly force' if used on humans?
FussyOldHen

PreviousNext

Return to Livestock and more