• Advertisement

Looking for Info on Butter Churns

Any homesteading topics not specific to the other categories go here

Moderator: mmpaints

Re: Looking for Info on Butter Churns

Postby mr bill » Tue Mar 22, 2011 5:59 pm

I have a churn Purchased from Lehman's several years ago. It is an earlier model of Lehman's Best. The churn has never been used. Also have 2 butter molds, also unused. Willing to trade for items of similar value. PM if interested. I can't remember but I think I have an extra jar too.
Leader zone 5, Clarke County
P!
mr bill

Postby IceFire » Thu Mar 24, 2011 7:31 pm

GooseArrow wrote:My Mom used the cloth method too. And to churn she just put it in a big glass jar and would shake it in her lap. We used to help her all the time as kids. Eventually she would get butter. I am sure a churn is much easier, but there are other alternatives.

My great-aunt had one of the REALLY old style wooden churns with the dasher that you moved up and down. Remember taking few turns using it...milking the cow was a LOT easier than churning the butter! (faster, too!)
"Guns are like shoes...a woman should have one in EVERY caliber!"
IceFire
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby Christian Patriot » Fri Jul 29, 2011 6:47 pm

I heard a lady talk today that she uses her VitaMix to make butter. I have never done it, but thought I would pass this info along to see anyone else had tried it or would be interested in trying it. If I did get a VitaMix, can you use powdered milk to make butter?
Christian Patriot
Alabama Preppers Network
Alabama Preppers Network

Postby mmpaints » Fri Jul 29, 2011 8:55 pm

the non fat dried milk can not make you butter. the butter comes from the whole cream off of fresh milk.
"Life is hard. It's even harder if you're stupid". - John Wayne

WARNING- i change my avatar frequently for my own enjoyment. Complaining about it won't help ;)
mmpaints
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby texcollex » Tue Sep 20, 2011 8:40 pm

Hope to have my own goats some day. After searching a bit on the web, I've found a few articles on separating goat's milk cream:

http://www.ehow.com/how_5544781_separat ... -milk.html

http://celinabean.com/2007/10/goats-mil ... -farm-boy/

It sounds like you can do it without a separator, but you have to pasteurize it lightly and let it sit in cool to cold environment at least 96 hours.

Tex
Stephen
Organizer
Tyler Preppers Meetup group
http://www.meetup.com/TylerPreppers/
texcollex

Postby northwoodsdave » Thu Feb 16, 2012 3:11 pm

The naysayers are right. You can separate cream from COW milk through a cloth, but in goat milk the cream is already mixed in. When looking for info, make sure they specify goat milk, cause it just ain't the same as cow milk.

Dave
northwoodsdave

Postby Anna » Sun Apr 15, 2012 3:41 pm

All good answers. Basically if you want butter from goats milk you will need to buy a cream separator which is an expensive item. Used separators are not a good bet unless they have been in use very recently and even then I'd give it a try before buying if possible. Cows milk is much much easier as it separates itself and all you need to do is skim off the cream.
Anna

Postby Prepared_InTexas » Sun Apr 15, 2012 4:26 pm

One time in grade school a teacher helped us make butter in a glass jar. All the kids had huge fun, sitting in a circle shaking the jar. Getting to eat in class was really a special treat, as she brought crackers that day, too. It is a good memory. Thanks, rock, for bringing to mind something I haven't even thought about, yet. I just assumed I would can butter--but that will run out, eventually, and I had not thought about how to replace it. Things to add to wish list: 1 cow! LOL (already got the glass jars!)
Prepared_InTexas
Texas Preppers Network
Texas Preppers Network

Postby islandchik » Sun Apr 15, 2012 5:38 pm

You can also make butter in a blender. If you want a non electric option, choose a Vortex blender which has a hand crank. That way, your appliance has multiple uses.
He who does not economize will have to agonize. ~ Confucius
islandchik
Maine Preppers Network
Maine Preppers Network

Postby mommabear3 » Thu Apr 19, 2012 11:57 am

You need cheesecloth,to strain it , and just an overly large glass jar,put the skimmed off cream in jar,put lid on and shake shake shake!! Pretty cheap and non electric!
Just call me squirrel..
mommabear3

Postby IceFire » Thu May 17, 2012 9:36 pm

Prepared_InTexas wrote:One time in grade school a teacher helped us make butter in a glass jar. All the kids had huge fun, sitting in a circle shaking the jar. Getting to eat in class was really a special treat, as she brought crackers that day, too. It is a good memory. Thanks, rock, for bringing to mind something I haven't even thought about, yet. I just assumed I would can butter--but that will run out, eventually, and I had not thought about how to replace it. Things to add to wish list: 1 cow! LOL (already got the glass jars!)

I remember doing that in elementary school too! I think we had gone on a field trip to the local dairy, first, IIRC, and then after we got back to school, we made butter in the jar.
"Guns are like shoes...a woman should have one in EVERY caliber!"
IceFire
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby PatrioticStabilist » Sun Aug 12, 2012 2:18 pm

I imagine you would need cheesecloth for the strainer.
PatrioticStabilist

Postby Hansel1 » Mon Aug 13, 2012 8:40 am

PatrioticStabilist wrote:I imagine you would need cheesecloth for the strainer.

A double layer of a linen bedsheet or pillow will do to. The higher the tread count the better but I remember using a old pillow cover when we where kids. My mom used to wash it in bleach once we where done.
one can make a shaker from almost any bicycle or exercise bike if there would be need... can serve double duty for other stuff too.
Hansel1

Postby Milones4TeaParty » Sun Oct 14, 2012 11:37 am

you can go on youtube and look up diy makeing butter

http://youtu.be/njhgTzNuP3o
http://youtu.be/EsYvhgrN4wU

I seen this and wanted to pass it along
The fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdon; a good understanding have all those who do his commandments. His praise endure forever.-Psalm 111:10
Milones4TeaParty

Postby catfeet » Sun Oct 14, 2012 12:09 pm

A barrel with rockers works to make butter too. Also, not quite so time intensive - just give it a kick every time you walk by.
catfeet
Vermont Preppers Network
Vermont Preppers Network

PreviousNext

Return to General Homesteading Topics