• Advertisement

Question?

Any homesteading topics not specific to the other categories go here

Moderator: mmpaints

Re: Question?

Postby FussyOldHen » Sat Oct 31, 2015 2:56 pm

"I have came from a city family who liked to do all things ourselves. we used to make jams and always ate home cooked meals from scratch. But my father got a better job and they forgot most of it."

Non-entitlement poor people know more about basic survival and make-do than most people with money, from sheer necessity.
FussyOldHen

Postby whitebear54 » Sat Oct 31, 2015 8:17 pm

FussyOldHen wrote:"I have came from a city family who liked to do all things ourselves. we used to make jams and always ate home cooked meals from scratch. But my father got a better job and they forgot most of it."

Non-entitlement poor people know more about basic survival and make-do than most people with money, from sheer necessity.

So very true. My family was poor. We had a two acre garden, chickens, a milk cow and geese. We had a hand pumped well with sweet water and out-houses (we later put in a septic system and running water). We hunted and fished most days, did some trapping. We harvested honey from wild beehives--kept some and sold or swapped the rest. We had fruit trees and berry bushes. Pecan and walnut trees grew wild and we harvested those too. Grandma, churned butter and canned produce and fruits to preserve them. Every couple of years we'd scrape together enough cash to buy a hog and half a beef at the local farmer's auction and butcher them ourselves. We'd then all help grandma and mom can meat. Aside from wheat flour virtually all our food was produced by us. We had a woodlot and heated and often cooked with wood. Sigh, I wish I was that poor now. I'm working on it.

Homeless folks know a lot about surviving with nothing too.
Visit my author website at www.RaymondDeanWhite.com
"Distrust of government is at the very core of what it means to be an American."
"Growing your own food is like printing your own money."
"If you aren't preparing to live you're preparing to die."
"While doubt is uncomfortable, certainty is only for fools and zealots."
whitebear54
Arizona Preppers Network
Arizona Preppers Network

Postby Cheyenne rose » Mon Nov 02, 2015 7:24 pm

I lived most of my years conserving and pinching pennies. Buying books and doing my own repairs on appliances etc. bargaining and bartering. Having a homestead has always been a preferred way of life for myself. My darling hubby was able to make a dream come true a few years ago.

Watching Little House on the prairie, The Waltons, and other movies such as A house of our own (kathy bates) have always inspired me. Actually still a closet watcher of Little House and Waltons.
We are pressed on every side by troubles, but we are not crushed. We are perplexed, but not driven to despair. We are hunted down, but never abandoned by God. We get knocked down, but we are not destroyed. 2 Corinthians 4:8-9
Cheyenne rose

Previous

Return to General Homesteading Topics