• Advertisement

grain mills overview

Any homesteading topics not specific to the other categories go here

Moderator: mmpaints

Re: grain mills overview

Postby GooseArrow » Mon Feb 28, 2011 7:42 am

I finally purchased the Country Living Grain mill. I will be feeding about 20 people a day, so I decided it was worth the investment. I am glad I did. If I was only feeding a family of 4, I might have went with the less expensive model. But I also factored in the time I would have to spend daily doing this. I wanted something efficient because I am sure time will be even more valuable than it is now.

Dirk, I do not have everything that I need or think I am going to need, but like xdewit said make a list and prioritize what you think is most important. At least you are aware and doing something. That is more than most of our fellow Americans are doing. I can also tell you each thing you get checked off your list eases your mind a little. There are always going to be things you wish you did or thought of. You just have to stay as determined as you can to keep going with the resources that you have.

Another thing I have noticed is to be flexible. If you have your number one item on your list but see number three at a fabulous deal, buy number three that week. The more money you can save means the more you have to spend on additional items. Good luck!
GooseArrow
Oklahoma Preppers Network
Oklahoma Preppers Network

Postby borntovector » Tue Mar 01, 2011 9:59 am

IceFire wrote:For electric, I have the grain mill attachment for my KitchenAid stand mixer (have all the pasta making, meat grinding, and fruit/vegetable straining attachments too, so I don't need a bunch of separate appliances.) For hand crank, I have a small one from Germany, as it was all I could afford (OR have room for!)

IceFire I have the kitchen aid as well and love it. As far as hand ginding, I have been experimenting with the Kitchen Aid attachment. I can mount it to my workbench in a vice and a Socket (cant remember the exact size) fits perfectly over the square shaft that attaches to the Kithchen Aid Mixer. From that I can either use my battery powered drill to run it or I can hook up a socket wrench to it. I have a socket wrench (dont know what its called) but the handle has a bend in it sort of like this _[***}_ shape that makes the cranking a lot easier. I was also thinking about having a handle made for it. I have a couple frindes with welders. It would be pretty simple with a couple scraps of metal, since the shaft has the square end, all I would have to do is cut a hole to match the shaft end.
borntovector

Postby IceFire » Tue Mar 01, 2011 1:05 pm

borntovector wrote:
IceFire wrote:For electric, I have the grain mill attachment for my KitchenAid stand mixer (have all the pasta making, meat grinding, and fruit/vegetable straining attachments too, so I don't need a bunch of separate appliances.) For hand crank, I have a small one from Germany, as it was all I could afford (OR have room for!)

IceFire I have the kitchen aid as well and love it. As far as hand ginding, I have been experimenting with the Kitchen Aid attachment. I can mount it to my workbench in a vice and a Socket (cant remember the exact size) fits perfectly over the square shaft that attaches to the Kithchen Aid Mixer. From that I can either use my battery powered drill to run it or I can hook up a socket wrench to it. I have a socket wrench (dont know what its called) but the handle has a bend in it sort of like this _[***}_ shape that makes the cranking a lot easier. I was also thinking about having a handle made for it. I have a couple frindes with welders. It would be pretty simple with a couple scraps of metal, since the shaft has the square end, all I would have to do is cut a hole to match the shaft end.

THAT is out-of-the-box thinking, borntovector! Since that original post, I have since purchased a GrainMaker grain mill...Love it, love it, love it! It's nice having the option of EITHER the KitchenAid attachment OR the GrainMaker mill. Since my space is limited in my current kitchen, I usually favor the KitchenAid, but once we get moved, I will be hunting for a BIG kitchen that will allow me to have things set up PERMANENTLY. (As opposed to having to store half of my kitchen stuff in the basement, because I have NO ROOM (or cupboard space) in the kitchen I have now. Heck, I've seen bigger closets than that dinky excuse for a cooking facility)
"Guns are like shoes...a woman should have one in EVERY caliber!"
IceFire
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby noknead » Tue Mar 01, 2011 4:33 pm

I have a Wonder Junior Deluxe, which works quite well and is built well also.

it's about half the price of a Country Living or Grain Maker. They made some improvements to the mill in February 2011 that made it much faster than the Country Living, I have tried them both at a local kitchen store. It has some other new improvements that make it very nice. Checkout http://www.thewondermill.com/ for the newest model information. I am saving up to buy the new model and give the old model to a family member. The thing I love the most about the Wonder Junior Deluxe it the mount that comes with it, it holds so nice and secure unlike many others I have seen and tried. I have been playing around with milling sunflower seeds into a flour for adding to my bread flour mix, it has been some delicious experiments.
noknead

Postby Greatgeezer » Sun Apr 17, 2011 11:12 pm

I have the Grainmaker. It's built like a tank. We use it to grind hard white and hard red wheat for bread making primarily, but it can be used for corn, coffee, peanut butter, you name it. Electrics are nice, but when the power is out, (that happens fairly often out here) you can still bake bread. It's not that hard to use, but it does give you a little workout, gets the heart rate up a bit. And it is great bread too. Oh yeah, it is pricey, but you get what you pay for, and the folks that make it are tops. If you have a problem, they are there to help, no ifs ands or buts.
Greatgeezer
Georgia Preppers Network
Georgia Preppers Network

My Family Grain Mill with the Bosch attachment

Postby Year-Supply » Mon Apr 18, 2011 6:21 pm

http://youtu.be/_pWoozvGk7w

I made a video of me using it. I sell them on my website @ www.year-supply.com I am not only the president, but I'm also a client.

I love my FGM- even more now that I have a bosch.
Year-Supply

Postby PatrioticStabilist » Mon Aug 13, 2012 2:28 pm

Mine is electric, I know I know but its wonderful. It's a NutriMill, does a great job and is clean. It will grind several types of grains, I do hard red wheat and other types.

If you want something really special, grind popcorn and make cornbread out of it you talk about good. It does take extra liquid though as it absorbs liquid.

None of the ground grain will keep long as it starts losing nutrients soon as its ground.

If you would read about the lack of nutrients in white enriched flour you wouldn't believe it.

Yes, wheat bread makes you full, it will also help keep you regular, and though people say all that bread is fattening it has enough fiber that I don't believe it. I LOVE home baked bread. Also I make honey butter with melted butter and honey whipped together, awesome stuff.
PatrioticStabilist

Postby PatrioticStabilist » Mon Aug 13, 2012 2:31 pm

Ok, back to packing, I hate it, I never saw so much stuff, yes stuff. AWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWEEEEEEEEEEEEE, damn!
PatrioticStabilist

Postby Vina8 » Wed Dec 12, 2012 12:45 am

Jordankards, here is a link to a comparison chart of some mills. http://www.millersgrainhouse.com/downlo ... _chart.pdf.

What features are important to you? I own a Family Grain Mill, a Nutrimill, and a Wondermill. They each have pros and cons. If you just want a manual mill, consider the Wondermill Jr, although it takes some work to grind much grain.

Family Grain Mill.jpg

Family Grain Mill (FMG)--We bought this one first because it can be used with an electric motor for day-to-day use now, but also has a manual attachment we could use if there is no power. The manual attachment works well. We grind flour with the FMG to make most of our bread. It can grind some things the other mills can't like flax seed. It also has several optional attachments that we like such as one to roll oats, slicer, and meat grinder. Negatives include it takes longer to grind grains than the bigger electric mills, and it won't grind popcorn for cornmeal.

Grain Mill.jpg

Wondermill (electric)--This is my next favorite. It grinds very quickly so it is good for when I need large quantities of flour. It also grinds popcorn with no problems. It will not work with anything oily like flax seed.

Nutrimill.jpg

Nutrimill (electric)--This is a good mill for large quantities of grain. It grinds fast and fine. It grinds popcorn, but has a problem with larger corn which gets stuck in the feeder.
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
Vina8
North Carolina Preppers Network

Postby PeachOnEarth » Wed Dec 12, 2012 1:29 am

This is why i love this site..... a grain mill is one our prep items to buy for the new year.... and you all have done the leg work for me!.. I have a Kitchen Aid and considered buying the attachment.... but since money is of course a consideration... we will try to get an electric/hand grind combo.....
And I need one that will grind the popcorn..... cornbread is a Staple at our house!
"Earth Laughs In Flowers" Raph Waldo Emerson

"What we have loved, others will love, and we will teach them how." William Wordsworth

"Growing your own food is like printing your own money." - Ron Finley
PeachOnEarth
Arkansas Preppers Network
Arkansas Preppers Network

Postby Vina8 » Wed Dec 12, 2012 10:27 pm

If you want a grain mill that can be used both with an electric motor or manually if no electricity is available, the Family Grain Mill is a good choice.

If you want a mill that will grind a lot of grain quickly, the electric Wondermill is very good. It won't work if there is no electricity.

The Wondermill Jr. is just a manual mill that would be good if there is no electricity available, but is not so practical for grinding a lot of grain on a regular basis now.

The question about which one is best depends on whether you want a mill that can grind with a hand crank or not. If that is not an issue for you, the electric Wondermill would be good for a large family.
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
Vina8

Postby Vina8 » Fri Dec 14, 2012 10:56 am

Here is a link to Millers Grain House who sells several types of mills including the electric Wondermill, the Family Grain Mill, the Nutrimill, and the hand-cranked Wondermill Jr. We have bought from this company and never had a problem. The prices are comparable to other grain mills I have checked on the internet. http://www.millersgrainhouse.com/store/ ... 664498beac
Vina8

Postby crb » Fri Dec 14, 2012 11:05 am

Posting to track.
The post above is copyrighted and my personal intellectual property. My posts may not be used for any purpose.
crb
Ohio Preppers Network
Ohio Preppers Network

Previous

Return to General Homesteading Topics