• Advertisement

Baking your own bread

Any homesteading topics not specific to the other categories go here

Moderator: mmpaints

Re: Baking your own bread

Postby TheLight » Tue Jul 20, 2010 3:32 pm

The book that the OP mentioned is a great one. It has gotten a lot of folks baking bread that would otherwise be eating Wonder. I don't bake as often as I'd like... need to change that.
"Where did I leave that clue-by-four?" -Me
"TheLight is a pot-kicking man-ape gone wrong. But we still love him and his ability to carry entire trees at once." -Rush2112
"All the great things are simple, and many can be expressed in a single word: freedom, justice, honor, duty, mercy, hope." ~Winston Churchill

Image http://www.theendofthetunnel.org/
TheLight
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby mmpaints » Wed Jul 21, 2010 9:43 pm

too dang hot here the last month or so to even consider baking any bread. Good thing I put some in the freezer from time to time or we'd not have any bread to eat!
"Life is hard. It's even harder if you're stupid". - John Wayne

WARNING- i change my avatar frequently for my own enjoyment. Complaining about it won't help ;)
mmpaints
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby Donna » Thu Jul 22, 2010 7:05 am

mmpaints wrote:too dang hot here the last month or so to even consider baking any bread. Good thing I put some in the freezer from time to time or we'd not have any bread to eat!

I know what you mean!
With no A/C there is NO WAY I am baking unless something else HAS to go in the oven at the same temp. Then I try to plan a loaf to make sure to get one baked every so often.

We are also looking at building an outdoor brick oven for this very reason (and the taste factor too) to take things like canning and baking outside when it's too hot inside.

Winter on the other hand, I'll OVER BAKE just to be sure to heat the house! Also like to can in the winter (freeze our grapes to do jam in the winter).
Best Blessings and enJOY the journey!
Joseph & Donna Miller
http://www.MillersGrainHouse.com/store & http://www.PREPAREMag.com
Donna

Postby mmpaints » Thu Jul 22, 2010 9:52 pm

Hey Donna, I hear ya on the brick oven. I have been trying to build one here for the past 4 years but unfortunately, I married a narcassist drunk and life isn't always as predictable as I'd like so no oven yet. I will not give up hope for it tho, LOL. I've been baking decent bread in the smoker/grill but it ends up tasting like wood smoke. Not really a bad thing but sometimes you want french bread to taste like french bread, LOL.

WARNING- i change my avatar frequently for my own enjoyment. Complaining about it won't help ;)
mmpaints
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby Hunter » Fri Jul 23, 2010 9:00 am

There are a couple of ways that I have baked things when its to hot inside that have worked well. One is to use a steal trash can ( yes clean ) and place it upside down over the item that you want to bake. Then build a fire or charcoal around the outside and on the top. I also like to use the lid as a drip pan when doing this and have even put a post up from the lid to hold turkeys, chickens, and such or fashion a wire shelf for doing pies, cakes or bread. I have also done this with an old webber grill but I set it up so it is low to the ground by removing the legs, and then close the vents and build the fire on the outside of the grill. We do most of our cooking outside with dry maple at our cabin and we have made some truly rewarding foods over the years. Note if you are going to do this I recommend pre burning the trash can just like you would season cast iron frying pan. Get it nice and hot to burn off metal oils and then clean with cooking oil.
Hunter

Postby mmpaints » Sat Jul 24, 2010 1:16 pm

Hunter, you've created your own version of the dutch oven.

mmpaints
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby CajunDaddys_girl » Sat Jul 24, 2010 2:59 pm

Hunter wrote:There are a couple of ways that I have baked things when its to hot inside that have worked well. One is to use a steal trash can ( yes clean ) and place it upside down over the item that you want to bake. Then build a fire or charcoal around the outside and on the top. I also like to use the lid as a drip pan when doing this and have even put a post up from the lid to hold turkeys, chickens, and such or fashion a wire shelf for doing pies, cakes or bread. I have also done this with an old webber grill but I set it up so it is low to the ground by removing the legs, and then close the vents and build the fire on the outside of the grill. We do most of our cooking outside with dry maple at our cabin and we have made some truly rewarding foods over the years. Note if you are going to do this I recommend pre burning the trash can just like you would season cast iron frying pan. Get it nice and hot to burn off metal oils and then clean with cooking oil.

Hunter your version sounds almost like a Cajun Microwave...... Cool :thumbup:
CajunDaddys_girl

Postby Velocity » Sat Sep 04, 2010 8:11 pm

These recipes look great. It's time for people to start doing stuff on their own now and not trying to learn new things after everything comes down.
Velocity
Pennsylvania Preppers Network
Pennsylvania Preppers Network

Postby Donna » Sun Sep 05, 2010 8:17 am

Velocity wrote:These recipes look great. It's time for people to start doing stuff on their own now and not trying to learn new things after everything comes down.

You've got the right mentality, Velocity!

Learn the skills NOW - don't just stock-pile and not know what to do with stuff (THAT is hording, not preparing).
We have to prepare ourSELVES - mentally, skill-set wise, spiritually, physically, etc to handle what turn it appears that society will take.
All the STUFF in the world (or the pantry) won't do squat if we don't have the skills!

Good outlook! Keep it up! It will help you go far in a short period of time!
Best Blessings and enJOY the journey!
Joseph & Donna Miller
http://www.MillersGrainHouse.com/store & http://www.PREPAREMag.com
Donna

Postby Twinkie » Tue Jan 18, 2011 8:46 am

I've tried baking bread over the years; but am dismal at it. So, if we EVER have to bake our own bread grinding our own wheat, I'll just have to fix chapatis and tortillas and we'll just have to make do with those. For now, it's commercial bread for us unless things go really south on us. :)
Twinkie

Postby Vina8 » Tue Jan 18, 2011 10:34 am

Welcome to the forum, Twinkie. Don't give up on baking bread. Check out Donna's videos which will show you how. Get a bread machine (cheap at Goodwill) to do all your mixing, kneading, and even baking if you don't feel confident doing it yourself. If you happen to be in NC, Donna may have another baking class that is very helpful and hands-on. My husband and I bake all our bread and experiment all the time. Sometimes it is great, other times not so much. But we have never had a loaf that we couldn't eat or use for something. ;)
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
Vina8
North Carolina Preppers Network
North Carolina Preppers Network

Postby AuntB » Tue Jan 17, 2012 1:31 pm

Twinkie wrote:I've tried baking bread over the years; but am dismal at it. So, if we EVER have to bake our own bread grinding our own wheat, I'll just have to fix chapatis and tortillas and we'll just have to make do with those. For now, it's commercial bread for us unless things go really south on us. :)

Twinkie at least you have tried. I just bought my first packet of yeast and am finally going to try and bake bread. May I ask what has gone wrong with your bread baking? I am a horrible cook and have mainly failures in the kitchen so if you have advice I would greatly appreciate it. I cut and pasted if you have advice I would greatly appreciate it. I have copied mmpaints bread recipe, it sounds easy but I recall making bread with Grandma and it seemed like an all day affair.
AuntB

Postby Madine85 » Thu Mar 22, 2012 5:08 pm

edea1976 wrote:I'd like to recommend the book "Artisan Bread in 5 Minutes a Day". I've baked 3 loaves of bread in 3 days and my kids went CRAZY for it. I think anything we can learn to do for ourselves is worth looking into. I've also made mozzarella cheese at home.

This is the recipe/book I use for bread also, and its wonderful. It taste better than any bread I've ever made before, and its so much easier also. I recommend this book to everyone who wants to make bread.
Madine85

Postby D_Loki » Thu Mar 22, 2012 6:42 pm

Hint:
All purpose flour is NOT the best choice for yeast breads. You need to use bread flour. It has a high quantity of gluten which is the stringy elastic protein that traps the yeast to help it rise and is created by kneading. Quick breads, like biscuits, banana bread etc are better suited to AP flour, it has less gluten. In order of gluten quantity from lowest to highest:
Cake flour, Pastry Flour, AP Flour, Bread Flour. An added hint is that if you add corn starch to AP flour it will act as a dry shortening to soften the gluten strands for use for cake or pastry flour. I would have to go back to look at the ratio. I am sorry I do not have that in my head. So I do not confuse you, "shortening", be it lard, butter, or oil "shortens" gluten strands so a baked item is not as chewy as say Italian bread. the use of corn starch, or some other type of flour (rice flour, potato flour etc) will do this also as those flours do not have the high gluten content and thus reduces the amount of available gluten in the recipe.

Possible failures of breads are: not enough kneading, yeast activated in too hot or too cold water, poorly measured ingredients ( dough too wet or too dry), oven too hot (causes a crust to form too early and hinders the rise of the yeast), dead (too old) yeast, over proofing (the 1st or 2nd rise after kneading)(over proofing causes the yeast rise too much and over stretch the gluten), (Have I scared you yet??)

Bread making is a labor (or labour for our foreign friends) of LOVE. There is NOTHING more rewarding than that first bite of your own loaf. Keep at it. PRACTICE, Practice, practice. Oh and I never use bread machines. If you never learn to bake bread in an oven, when your machine is unavailable you are SOL. Happy baking!!
D_Loki
Minnesota State Moderator
Minnesota State Moderator

Postby Labhrain » Fri Mar 23, 2012 7:49 am

Due to arthritis in my hands, I've had to switch to a bread machine.
Florida Region 3
"Everyone has the right to be stupid; some people just abuse the privilege."
Labhrain

PreviousNext

Return to General Homesteading Topics