• Advertisement

Baking your own bread

Any homesteading topics not specific to the other categories go here

Moderator: mmpaints

Re: Baking your own bread

Postby mmpaints » Fri Mar 23, 2012 8:19 am

D Loki, havent seen you in a while. Your statement on AP flour is a bit deceptive and not necessarily correct. AP flour makes perfectly good bread, even 5 yr old, generic AP flour that's been sitting in a bucket without an O2 absorber. I have taught plenty of people in the past 3 years how to make themselves bread and every time have used store bought AP flour.

The biggest hurdle I have seen for people is the kneading. The amount of actual pressure on the dough confuses people and their failure is mostly due to them not kneading the dough properly.
"Life is hard. It's even harder if you're stupid". - John Wayne

WARNING- i change my avatar frequently for my own enjoyment. Complaining about it won't help ;)
mmpaints
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby D_Loki » Fri Mar 23, 2012 11:43 am

Hiya mm,

Yeah I have been MIA for quite a while. I left an explanation on the "Introduce yourself" forum if ya need an update. As for the flour. I was just saying that the best yeast breads are made with bread flour. Yes you can easily make bread with AP flour. I agree with you on the kneading failures. I had an instructor once describe the ideal kneaded dough: "It should be smooth as a baby's bottom, and a dimple pressed in should bounce back to shape like it just came back from a plastic surgeon's office" lol
D_Loki
Minnesota State Moderator
Minnesota State Moderator

Postby PatrioticStabilist » Sun Sep 02, 2012 2:08 pm

Get a book called "No More Bricks". Of course its for regular ovens, gas or electric but I'm sure it could be adapted to others.

I use non GMO wheat and grind my own. It has no preservatives so won't keep long. But I also use Dough Enchancer and vital wheat gluten. These ingredients helps the heavy flour rise and also will keep it fresh for more then a day. Most while flour is bleached, has all the nutrients taken out then some added back. It's little more then a shadow of the original item.
Mine produces a brown bread, there are various types in the book. I also make cinnamon bread we LOVE, but not often. I do not bake daily just off and on to keep my hand in. I do need to buy some Hodgsons or other flour that is white wheat and also has no additives as the family really prefers white bread. All my wheat produces brown. I buy buckets of 25 pounds from Lehmans, it will keep a long time. I have a couple kinds of wheat. I do not get the height from wheat as I do from white flour but its still very good and very good for you.

And some are correct. Mine did not form strong enough gluten at first. The wheat ground at home requires more liquid. I put it in the Kitchen Aid and mix the ingredients, then let it mix for 6 minutes with the dough hook I take it out and work the dough more by hand. You eventually get to where you just know when the dough is ready. But in the book it tells you it is when you do whats called a window pane test. You pinch off a piece of dough and stretch it out by hand, when you can stretch it enough to have it opaque, where you can see light through it, it has been worked enough. It will not tear. But also don't get it too awfully dry or it can't raise like it should. Bread making is an art that is learned with practice.
PatrioticStabilist

Postby PatrioticStabilist » Sun Sep 02, 2012 2:11 pm

I understand that, I have it in my hands too. I take tramadol and arthrotec when needed and do pretty good with that combination. Sometimes my joints in my thumbs and fingers just kill me as does my ankles which are very very bad.
PatrioticStabilist

Postby RayMac1963 » Fri Sep 07, 2012 9:53 pm

Timely topic. As i evaluated my family's prepps and skills the one thing sorely lacking was bread skills. I remember my Mom baking from scratch. I loved the smell but never payed attention to how she did it. I picked up some bread flower and yeast two weeks ago and now its sitting on the shelf intimidating the heck out of me. :bored:
I can't help but think God is up there right now saying "its time to shake the ol' Etch-A-Sketch and restart humanity again".

My Blog---> http://urbanprepperdiary.blogspot.com
RayMac1963
Michigan Preppers Network

Postby pelenaka » Sat Sep 08, 2012 12:42 am

PatrioticStabilist wrote:Get a book called "No More Bricks". Of course its for regular ovens, gas or electric but I'm sure it could be adapted to others.

I've had that book on my Amazon wishlist for over a year. Usually I'm able to get a hold of a copy through the library to try before buying.
So you really found it useful ? I bake very little with white or bread flour. Really want to learn to how to use whoole grains.

I haven't baked bread in months due to working two jobs ... yeah that's my excuse. We grind our own grain (Riesel Mill), which I buy on Amazon - Great River Organic. Come Winter when the wood stove is going I use a stovetop oven. And since I also have hand issues I use a stainless Steel bread bucket.
Yeah no damn electricity for us here in the hood 8) @ least when it comes to bread baby bread.

Last Winter when I was on sabatical baking; breads such as hearty rye & honey whole wheat, along with pies put grocery & bathroom items in our home by way of bartering.
pelenaka
New York Preppers Network

Postby pelenaka » Sat Sep 08, 2012 9:44 am

RayMac1963 wrote: I picked up some bread flower and yeast two weeks ago and now its sitting on the shelf intimidating the heck out of me. :bored:

:gunsmile: Own that flour ... make it do your bidding.

Besides you can always ditch the failed attempts :gunshooting:
pelenaka

Postby RayMac1963 » Mon Sep 10, 2012 9:18 am

LOL, Thanks P. After reading your inspiring post i got up Sunday all full of tinkle and vinegar, looked that flower and yeast in the eye and said "you're going down"! searched the web, and got to baking. Found a Honey wheat at allrecipes.com that i used. It came put great... all 5 LOAFS. :blink: and what the heck is with this rising stuff? :eek: The stuff kept growing. I felt like i was on a episode of "I love lucy". Well now i know to cut the ingredients by half. Best part was when my 9 year old said "Dad can make bread, so when the zombies come we can still have sandwiches".
I can't help but think God is up there right now saying "its time to shake the ol' Etch-A-Sketch and restart humanity again".

My Blog---> http://urbanprepperdiary.blogspot.com
RayMac1963

Postby Tinga » Mon Sep 10, 2012 10:49 am

^^^ That's awesome! I use a Generic white bread recipe from Better Homes and Gardens. I also use generic AP flour since it was cheaper than the bread flour. I do all the mixing and kneading by hand. I dump the moist bread on the counter and most of my remaining flour is rolled in on the board.Not because I like to do it that way, I once snapped a spoon mixing in my flour, so on the counter it goes lol

Once you get the basics down, soon you'll be making hamburger buns, hot dog buns and ohhhh yummy the biscuits you can make...
A woman is like a tea bag- you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water.
-Eleanor Roosevelt
When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty.
-Thomas Jefferson

[url]https://www.facebook.com/RockHillRabbitry[/url]
Tinga
Oregon Preppers Network
Oregon Preppers Network

Postby pelenaka » Mon Sep 10, 2012 11:19 pm

RayMac1963 wrote:LOL, Thanks P. After reading your inspiring post i got up Sunday all full of tinkle and vinegar, looked that flower and yeast in the eye and said "you're going down"! searched the web, and got to baking. Found a Honey wheat at allrecipes.com that i used. It came put great... all 5 LOAFS. :blink: and what the heck is with this rising stuff? :eek: The stuff kept growing. I felt like i was on a episode of "I love lucy". Well now i know to cut the ingredients by half. Best part was when my 9 year old said "Dad can make bread, so when the zombies come we can still have sandwiches".

:floppytongue: yeah I have a way about me I knew you could it :thumbsup:
Outta the mouths of babes I love it :D

There's a book I checked outta the library last year by the guy who wrote "$64 Tomato" (dealt with white bread but it was a good read), he ended up gaining ten pounds after all his research was done, lol.
Becareful there RayMac bread can be addictive :drool:
pelenaka

Postby bettacreek » Tue Sep 11, 2012 11:59 am

Has anyone tried pretzel rolls with lye? It's on my to do list, but haven't gotten around to it yet. Pretzel rolls are just so darned expensive. $0.55 for a tiny little roll that will barely hold about a medium sized egg.
bettacreek

Postby whitebear54 » Tue Oct 27, 2015 5:07 pm

edea1976 wrote:Has anyone tried baking in a solar oven? My father-in-law has plans to build one in the spring.

I've been baking blueberry/zucchini bread, applesauce/zucchini bread, cornbread and even brownies in my All American Sun Oven this year and it works great. Here in very sunny NW AZ my oven can hit temps of 350-400 if I carefully keep it aligned with the sun. Since I usually don't bother with that my baking temps usually run 250-300. I just leave the loaves in a bit longer (20-30 minutes more) and it hasn't been a problem. They come out moist and tender and delicious. I got busy and forgot two loaves and left them in for almost two full hours and they still came out great--not all dried out and stale like they would in a conventional oven. I've been told you can't burn anything in a sun oven and my experience bears that out.

I was informed that if I wanted a superior crust I should briefly open the oven about 15 minutes before the bread is done and baste the tops of the loaves with butter. I haven't done that and I'm still getting a nice crust. If I was baking white bread or wheat bread I might try it.

I've also made pots of beans, chili, soups and casseroles. I haven't tried pot roast or roasting a chicken yet but that's on the agenda.

One of the best things about baking with the sun oven is it doesn't heat up your kitchen--something truly important here in Arizona.

Good luck.
Visit my author website at www.RaymondDeanWhite.com
"Distrust of government is at the very core of what it means to be an American."
"Growing your own food is like printing your own money."
"If you aren't preparing to live you're preparing to die."
"While doubt is uncomfortable, certainty is only for fools and zealots."
whitebear54
Arizona Preppers Network
Arizona Preppers Network

Postby Cheyenne rose » Mon Nov 02, 2015 11:11 pm

I have always been able to make wonderful bread. Then I moved to an elevation of 6600 ft. Now I am experimenting, it seems every time I make bread to find the right, temp, yeast and dough for high altitude baking.
We are pressed on every side by troubles, but we are not crushed. We are perplexed, but not driven to despair. We are hunted down, but never abandoned by God. We get knocked down, but we are not destroyed. 2 Corinthians 4:8-9
Cheyenne rose

Previous

Return to General Homesteading Topics