• Advertisement

anyone make homemade laundry soap?

Home made products; Soaps, dogfood, toothpaste and more...

Moderator: mmpaints

Re: anyone make homemade laundry soap?

Postby CajunDaddys_girl » Sun Mar 06, 2011 5:26 pm

Can you substitute Zote for Fel Naptha in the laundry detergent recipe?
All the stores near me are sold out our Fel Naptha.
CajunDaddys_girl

Postby Vina8 » Sun Mar 06, 2011 9:18 pm

CDG, Yes, I have seen the recipe where people substitute Zote. I haven't tried it, but I'm sure it works fine.

Roger, congratulations on your purchases! Yes, I know how lucky we are to have access to so many useful prepper items. We also make good use of the internet for stuff we can't find in a small town. Good luck on your first soap-making. One thing I learned the hard way, is to make sure when you add the rest of the water to your big bucket, use hot water to the mixture. It makes it mix better and sets more as a gel. For particularly dirty loads, I add a little bit of liquid Tide in addition to the homemade soap. The homemade stuff isn't as good as the commercial brands at removing oily or greasy stains. I also add some essential oils (about 1 tsp total) that helps with the strong Fels Naptha smell.
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
Vina8
North Carolina Preppers Network
North Carolina Preppers Network

Postby victoria » Sun Mar 06, 2011 9:41 pm

Roger
I think you will like it. Just remember it doesn't suds like store bought and when your making it to make sure the water is hot so the borax and washing soda dissolve and your soap is not grainy.If you want it to be a liquid add more water before it gels and put it into empty bottes. I like it the way that I posted the recipe because it takes less space and it has come out the same each time I make it. I still use regular Downy though as my guys would probably revolt if I used anything else.
victoria

Postby CajunDaddys_girl » Mon Mar 07, 2011 7:44 am

Vina8 wrote:CDG, Yes, I have seen the recipe where people substitute Zote. I haven't tried it, but I'm sure it works fine.

Roger, congratulations on your purchases! Yes, I know how lucky we are to have access to so many useful prepper items. We also make good use of the internet for stuff we can't find in a small town. Good luck on your first soap-making. One thing I learned the hard way, is to make sure when you add the rest of the water to your big bucket, use hot water to the mixture. It makes it mix better and sets more as a gel. For particularly dirty loads, I add a little bit of liquid Tide in addition to the homemade soap. The homemade stuff isn't as good as the commercial brands at removing oily or greasy stains. I also add some essential oils (about 2 tsp total) that helps with the strong Fels Naptha smell.

Thanks V8, :)

My understanding is that you can use a bar of Fel Naptha and Zote directly on a stains, like a bar of shout or something similar and it will in most cases remove it... I found this site yesterday that has some recipes and tips.... http://www.soapsgonebuy.com

Just a bit of soap trivia.. I read Fel Naptha and Zote soaps can be used as catfish bait, :eek: ...
CajunDaddys_girl

Postby CajunDaddys_girl » Mon Mar 07, 2011 8:47 am

Found 10 Recipes

http://tipnut.com/10-homemade-laundry-s ... t-recipes/

10 Homemade Laundry Soap Detergent Recipes
Recipe #1

1 quart Water (boiling)
2 cups Bar soap (grated)
2 cups Borax
2 cups Washing Soda

■Add finely grated bar soap to the boiling water and stir until soap is melted. You can keep on low heat until soap is melted.
■Pour the soap water into a large, clean pail and add the Borax and Washing Soda. Stir well until all is dissolved.
■Add 2 gallons of water, stir until well mixed.
■Cover pail and use 1/4 cup for each load of laundry. Stir the soap each time you use it (will gel).
Recipe #2

Hot water
1 cup Washing Soda
1/2 cup Borax
1 Soap bar

■Grate the bar soap and add to a large saucepan with hot water. Stir over medium-low heat until soap dissolves and is melted.
■Fill a 10 gallon pail half full of hot water. Add the melted soap, Borax and Washing soda, stir well until all powder is dissolved. Top the pail up with more hot water.
■Use 1 cup per load, stirring soap before each use (will gel).
Recipe #3

Hot water
1/2 cup Washing Soda
1/2 cup Borax
1/3 bar Soap (grated)

■In a large pot, heat 3 pints of water. Add the grated bar soap and stir until melted. Then add the washing soda and borax. Stir until powder is dissolved, then remove from heat.
■In a 2 gallon clean pail, pour 1 quart of hot water and add the heated soap mixture. Top pail with cold water and stir well.
■Use 1/2 cup per load, stirring soap before each use (will gel).
Powdered Laundry Detergent – Recipe #4

2 cups Fels Naptha Soap (finely grated – you could also try the other bar soaps listed at the top)
1 cup Washing Soda
1 cup Borax

■Mix well and store in an airtight plastic container.
■Use 2 tablespoons per full load.
Recipe #5

Hot water
1 bar (4.5 oz) Ivory Soap – grated
1 cup Washing Soda

■In a large saucepan add grated soap and enough hot water to cover. Heat over medium-low heat and stir until soap is melted.
■Fill a large pail with 2.5 gallons of hot water, add hot soap mixture. Stir until well mixed.
■Then add the washing soda, again stirring until well mixed.
■Set aside to cool.
■Use 1/2 cup per full load, stirring well before each use (will gel)
Recipe #6

2.5 gallons Water (hot)
1 Bar soap (grated)
3/4 cup Washing Soda
3/4 cup Borax
2 TBS Glycerin

■Melt bar soap over medium-low heat topped with water, stir until soap is melted.
■In a large pail, pour 2.5 gallons of hot water, add melted soap mixture, washing soda, borax and glycerin. Mix well.
■Use 1/2 cup per full load.
Recipe #7

2 cups Bar soap (grated)
2 cups Washing Soda
2 – 2.5 gallons hot water

■Melt grated soap in saucepan with water to cover. Heat over medium-low heat and stir until soap is dissolved.
■Pour hot water in large pail, add hot soap and washing soda. Stir very well.
■Use 1 cup per full load.
Recipe #8

2 gallons Water (hot)
1 bar Soap (grated)
2 cups Baking soda (yes baking soda this time–not washing soda)

■Melt grated soap in a saucepan with enough hot water to cover. Cook on medium-low heat, stirring frequently until soap is melted.
■In a large pail, pour 2 gallons hot water. Add melted soap, stir well.
■Then add the baking soda, stir well again.
■Use 1/2 cup per full load, 1 cup per very soiled load.
Powdered Laundry Detergent – Recipe #9

12 cups Borax
8 cups Baking Soda
8 cups Washing Soda
8 cups Bar soap (grated)

■Mix all ingredients well and store in a sealed tub.
■Use 1/8 cup of powder per full load.
Recipe #10 – (Powdered)

1 cup Vinegar (white)
1 cup Baking Soda
1 cup Washing Soda
1/4 cup liquid castile soap

■Mix well and store in sealed container.
■I find it easiest to pour the liquid soap into the bowl first, stirred in the washing soda, then baking soda, then added the vinegar in small batches at a time (the recipe foams up at first). The mixture is a thick paste at first that will break down into a heavy powdered detergent, just keep stirring. There may be some hard lumps, try to break them down when stirring (it really helps to make sure the baking soda isn’t clumpy when first adding). I used 1/2 cup per full load with great results.
CajunDaddys_girl

Postby pammypoo32 » Mon Mar 07, 2011 9:25 am

Question... since I make my own regular soap, I'm assuming I can use that instead of purchasing Fels Naptha or other soap. My question is this... I generally make my soap "super-fatted" at about 8%... don't think this would work in the laundry, too moisturizing... My guess is to make it at a 0% super-fat instead and use it just for laundry. Anyone else out there experienced at this? I've made soap for like a hundred years and sell it via my website and at markets and craft fairs, but have never done laundry soap, not sure why, I just haven't.
www.southernheartsoaps.com - Southern Heart Soaps Lotions and Potions
http://canninggranny.blogspot.com/ - Canning, Preserving and Long Term Food Storage
Proverbs 31:12-31
pammypoo32

Postby roger o » Mon Mar 07, 2011 12:19 pm

Pammypoo32 how about a link to your website, or if that's frowned upon, please PM me with it. CDG, Ace really is a great place to shop, but you should know that they are not all the same. The Ace's near me don't carry of the products we can to make detergent, and if you want them to special order, it is by the case only. One more thing, do you have a more "user friendly" name that I can use to address you?
Roger

Is est non maximus ut vos teneo totus refero - is est maximus ut vos teneo quaestiones sciscitor.
μολὼν λαβέ
roger o
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby pammypoo32 » Mon Mar 07, 2011 12:24 pm

www.southernheartsoaps.com is our website, thanks for asking! :D
www.southernheartsoaps.com - Southern Heart Soaps Lotions and Potions
http://canninggranny.blogspot.com/ - Canning, Preserving and Long Term Food Storage
Proverbs 31:12-31
pammypoo32

Postby CajunDaddys_girl » Mon Mar 07, 2011 4:51 pm

roger o wrote:Pammypoo32 how about a link to your website, or if that's frowned upon, please PM me with it. CDG, Ace really is a great place to shop, but you should know that they are not all the same. The Ace's near me don't carry of the products we can to make detergent, and if you want them to special order, it is by the case only. One more thing, do you have a more "user friendly" name that I can use to address you?

CDG is pretty user friendly, ;) and it works...

You can order from Ace Hardware online and they will ship to your local Ace store for free.. The item /s will arrive on the day they recieve their stock shipment.... We have used that option when we ordered a crock and several other items..
CajunDaddys_girl

Postby CajunDaddys_girl » Mon Mar 07, 2011 8:42 pm

Found a great way to grate the bar soap.....
A hand held crank cheese grater used for hard cheeses. Like the ones Italian cafe`s use at the table side to grate cheese in your soup, salad or entree`.
Wally World or Target` carry them.

You cut the soap in 3rds and place in holder and turn the crank..... No grated fingers ot knuckles...
CajunDaddys_girl

Postby SciFiChick » Thu Mar 31, 2011 10:56 pm

CajunDaddys_girl wrote:Found a great way to grate the bar soap.....
A hand held crank cheese grater used for hard cheeses. Like the ones Italian cafe`s use at the table side to grate cheese in your soup, salad or entree`.
Wally World or Target` carry them.

You cut the soap in 3rds and place in holder and turn the crank..... No grated fingers ot knuckles...

Great idea! I'll have to pick one up soon.
SciFiChick
Oklahoma Preppers Network
Oklahoma Preppers Network

Postby rebeccacstone » Sat Jun 16, 2012 8:05 pm

I use 1/3 bar of goats milk bar soap (grated), 1 cup of borax, and 1 cup of oxiclean powder. The reason I use Oxi instead of washing soda is because I've found that washing soda stains some of my clothes where Oxi does not. And it works great! You can really grate any natural bar soap. Just keep in mind if you use commercial bar soap, ex. dove, it may leave a chemical film.
rebeccacstone
Texas Preppers Network
Texas Preppers Network

Postby Rabid » Sun Jun 17, 2012 7:04 pm

DAMMIT IM MAD spelled backwards is DAMMIT IM MAD
Rabid

Postby Labhrain » Sun Jun 17, 2012 8:21 pm

I have all the ingredients to make my soap. I only have 1 question -- after the laundry soap is made, what do ya'll store your soap in?
Florida Region 3
"Everyone has the right to be stupid; some people just abuse the privilege."
Labhrain

Postby IceFire » Sun Jun 17, 2012 8:35 pm

Labhrain wrote:I have all the ingredients to make my soap. I only have 1 question -- after the laundry soap is made, what do ya'll store your soap in?

You can store it in the bucket you mix it in (with a lid, of course), but I had saved my old liquid laundry detergent bottles, and divided it up between some of them (I filled 5 or 6 laundry detergent bottles). Best part of storing it that way is that my picky husband has NO clue that I'm using homemade detergent now! :evil: What I love is cruising right past the laundry detergent when I'm doing my shopping, and knowing that I never have to shell out for it again!
"Guns are like shoes...a woman should have one in EVERY caliber!"
IceFire
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

PreviousNext

Return to Home made products