• Advertisement

anyone make homemade laundry soap?

Home made products; Soaps, dogfood, toothpaste and more...

Moderator: mmpaints

Re: anyone make homemade laundry soap?

Postby Vina8 » Fri Jan 07, 2011 2:15 pm

caveskier wrote:Ive been making liquid soap out of soapwort (can grow them inside as well for winter) add lavender, or mint for aroma.
Also have use yucca roots to make liquid soap. Both work for hands, dishes or laundry. Tried to make it as primitive and
self reliant as possible, so no borax or other items that might not be available.

Use natural sunlight in big Atrium windows to grow plants in the winter and use grey water on plants both inside and out.

I ordered some soapwort seeds. Caveskier, would you post your recipes and instructions for how you make your soap. I have read many on the internet, but it would be helpful to hear from someone like you who has made it and used it. Thanks.
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
Vina8
North Carolina Preppers Network

Postby cityhomesteader » Fri Jan 07, 2011 4:14 pm

victoria wrote:I was just wondering if anyone makes their own laundry soap? I've been doing it for a few years and I think it works good and it's cheap to make. Anyone need the recipe?

Yes the wife makes it ever since she saw it on the 20 kids and counting. It is great stuff and the recipe makes a LOT!!! we even use it in our High efficiency washing machine no problem!
Cityhomesteader
16 This is what the LORD says:
“Stand at the crossroads and look; ask for the ancient paths, ask where the good way is, and walk in it, and you will find rest for your souls. Jeremiah 6"
http://www.ConnecticutPreppersNetwork.net
cityhomesteader
Connecticut State Moderator

Postby chunkymonkey » Mon Feb 14, 2011 9:08 am

I do and have for a couple years. I use the Duggar recipe too. When I don't have fels naptha or zote I use Dove bar soap and it has worked fine for me.

Gotta look into the soapwort option also,Thanks!
chunkymonkey
Vermont Preppers Network
Vermont Preppers Network

Postby cityhomesteader » Mon Feb 14, 2011 10:03 am

SOAPWORT (saponaria officinalis)

Soapwort is a beautiful and fragrant perennial that has high levels of saponins. Saponins are mild cleansing agents. Within the plant, these saponins protect it from all pest and disease and Soapwort grows, worry-free, like a carpet across the ground and rocks. What some gardeners consider an intrusive nuisance has historically proven to be a very handy plant; and it is just as valuable today.

http://www.skrewtips.com/2010/01/24/nat ... -soapwort/

http://www.englishplants.co.uk/soapwort.html
Member of the Pink family. Hardy perennial, also known as Bouncing Bett (perhaps referring to the plump washerwomen who washed using the soap from the plant!) growing to 1 –3 ft (30 - 92 cm). Name comes from the Latin “sapo”, meaning soap. Soapwort was originally grown near woollen mills so it was handy for washing wool. Plants have also been found near the sites of old Roman baths. Flowers smell like Cloves.

The plant is rich in saponins which produce a lather in water. Crushing the roots and leaves and shaking them in warm water will create this effect. Not just used for making soap, the plant can also be used to make a shampoo for dry, itchy scalp – although try to avoid getting shampoo in the eyes as it can irritate them. Leaves can also be crushed and rubbed on the hands to make a soap. To make soap, chop the whole plant and boil it in water for about twenty minutes and strain. If making a shampoo, add, for example, some lavender water to make it smell nice. The best soap is obtained by infusing the plant in warm water.

Soapwort was used to wash the Turin Shroud. Still used today in cleaning old fabrics. This probably helped in its preservation because Soapwort contains a fungicide. It was used in the Middle Ages to treat venereal disease and was also sniffed to induce sneezing – sneezing was believed to ease illness. Has also been used for treating lung and liver problems. In Switzerland some farmers was their sheep with Soapwort before shearing. Roots have been known to knock out fish to make them easy to catch – for this reason it may be a good idea not to grow Soapwort close to fish ponds. Has also been added during beer-making processes to form a head on the beer. Gypsies would apply a decoction of root to a bruised or black eye to remove coloration. A decoction of the plant can be applied externally to treat itchy skin, eczema, psoriasis, acne and boils.

Plant is used in healing spells and rituals. Native American Indians would make a poultice from it for spleen pain.

Soapwort is found naturally beside streams and in damp woods and hedgerows (also known as Hedge Pink) and bears sprays of pink flowers. Spreads quite well and flowers June to September. Butterflies find it attractive. Plant flops gracefully after a while. Food plant of the Marbled Clover moth.

Cut down to ground level late autumn.

CAUTION – PLANT IS TOXIC SO DO NOT TAKE INTERNALLY – saponins, in excess, can destroy red blood cells and cause paralysis of the vasomotor centre

*This sheet is provided for information only and is in no way a prescription for use. Please seek the advice of a qualified herbalist before using*

Soapwort Herb - Uses And Side Effects
http://www.womens-health-club.com/herbs/soapwort.htm
Other Names : Bouncing bet, bruisewort, crow-soap, fuller's herb, latherwort, soap root, sweet Betty, and wild sweet William.

Soapwort is a common ingredient in herbal shampoos because its chief components, called saponins, produce foam or suds in water. (The term saponification refers to the soap-making process.) Plants that contain a lot of saponins reportedly taste much like soap. Soapwort is also known as fuller's herb because the textile industry once used it as a fulling (cleaning and sizing) agent.

Soapwort is a perennial European native herb which has become thoroughly naturalized in the United States. Found growing in moist ditches, along roadsides, waste places, near old home sites, in meadows, and as a planted ornamental. Cultivation: propagate Soapwort with seeds or by division done in early spring. The Egyptian soapwort root, Gypsophlla struthium, occasionally is used in place of soapwort because it contains saponin and some of the same components as S. officinalis.
Description of the herb Soapwort

A stout herbaceous perennial with a stem growing in the writer's garden to 4 or 5 feet high. Leaves lanceolate, slightly elliptical, acute, smooth, 2 or 3 inches long and 1/3 inch wide. Large pink flowers, often double in paniculate fascicles; calyx cylindrical, slightly downy; five petals, unguiculate; top of petals linear, ten stamens, two styles; capsule oblong, one-celled, flowering from July till September. No odour, with a bitter and slightly sweet taste, followed by a persistent pungency and a numbing sensation in the mouth.
Common doses of Soapwort

Soapwort comes as dried root, dried leaves, decoction, extract, fluid extract, and juice. Some experts recommend the following doses:

* As a decoction, 2 to 4 fluid ounces taken orally three or four times daily.
* As an extract or a juice, 10 to 20 grains taken orally.
* As fluid extract, 0.25 to I dram taken orally.

Uses of Soapwort herb

Soapwort root, has been used as an alternative medicine since the time of Dioscorides. It is medicinal as an alterative, antiscrophulatic, cholagogue, depurative, diaphoretic, mildly diuretic, expectorant, purgative and tonic. A decoction of the herb is applied externally to treat itchy skin. Specifically, soapwort may help to :-

* Acne
* As a shampoo
* Boils
* Constipation
* Dandruff
* Gout
* Intestinal problems
* Jaundice
* Rheumatism
* Skin problems, including psoriasis (scaly, raised skin patches)and eczema (a type of skin inflammation)
* Skin reactions caused by syphilis

Side effects of Soapwort

Call your health care practitioner if you experience any of these possible side effects of soapwort:

* nausea
* upset stomach
* vomiting.

This herb also can cause:

* digestive tract ulcers
* kidney damage
* liver damage
* nerve damage.

Are there any interactions?

Combining herbs with certain drugs may alter their action or produce unwanted side effects. Tell your health care practitioner about any prescription or nonprescription drugs you're taking.

Important points to remember

* Don't use soapwort if you're pregnant or breast-feeding.
* Don't use high doses of this herb for more than 2 weeks because it may damage your digestive tract.
* Know that most people can't or shouldn't use soapwort because ingesting it can cause toxic reactions and intense bowel evacuation.
* Be aware that your health care practitioner may recommend periodic liver and kidney function tests while you're using soapwort.

What the research shows

In test tube studies, purified components of soapwort called saponins have harmed cancer cells. However, we have no evidence that the herb helps cure cancer in people. Because other treatments are effective against cancer, medical experts favor them over soapwort. The same goes for other ailments-not only because virtually no clinical data are available but also because soapwort could be toxic.

http://home.howstuffworks.com/soapwort-bouncing-bet.htm
Cityhomesteader
16 This is what the LORD says:
“Stand at the crossroads and look; ask for the ancient paths, ask where the good way is, and walk in it, and you will find rest for your souls. Jeremiah 6"
http://www.ConnecticutPreppersNetwork.net
cityhomesteader

Postby Lynda » Mon Feb 14, 2011 11:14 am

I made my second batch of laundry soap last week and it turned out much better than my first. Better recipe, I think. Also made my own liquid hand soap from all those leftover slivers I save. Turned out great.

Have you seen the price of commercial laundry soap these days?
THINK......It's not illegal yet.

I Am Responsible For What I Say. I Am Not Responsible For What You Understand.
Lynda
Massachusetts Preppers Network

Postby Vina8 » Mon Feb 14, 2011 12:38 pm

Detentus wrote:I made my second batch of laundry soap last week and it turned out much better than my first. Better recipe, I think. Also made my own liquid hand soap from all those leftover slivers I save. Turned out great.

Have you seen the price of commercial laundry soap these days?

What recipe did you use?
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
Vina8

Postby Lynda » Mon Feb 14, 2011 1:01 pm

Vina, so many laundry recipes to choose from but this oneworked for me:

Shave a bar of soap, can be Fels Naptha or regular soap, like Dial or Ivory. I used Dial

Heat 6 c. water and shaved soap, mixing both.

Stir in 1/2 C. washing soda and 1/2 cup borax. Wear rubber gloves for soda handling.

Mix until dissolved, bring to boil and boil for 15 minutes.

Remove from heat. Consistency should be like honey. (Mine was thinner.)

In bucket: add 1 quart hot water. Then add soap mixture and stir.

Add enough cold water to this to make 2 gallons overall(includes previously mixed soap mixture and water.)

Mix well and let sit for 24 hours. This will gel. Mine took less time.

Stir before use. You can distribute these to empty laundry detergent containers and shake well before using.

Hand soap:

Grate or finely chop a bar of soap. About 4 oz.
Bring 4 cups water to boil, remove from heat and add soap. Stir until dissolved. Mixture will be very liquidy.

Cool for at least 15 min. Stir again. Will be slightly thicker.

Allow to cool for several hours or overnight. Mine was very thick after about two hours. I reheated and added a bit more water. You can play with this until you get the consistency you prefer. Pour into liquid soap dispensers or into an empty liquid soap dispenser.

You can also run this through a blender before repackaging.

Essential oils or baby oil can be added, too.

Lynda

Postby Vina8 » Mon Feb 14, 2011 2:31 pm

Thanks, Lynda. That is very close to how I make mine:
1 bar grated Fels Naptha, Heat on the stove in a large pot of water until melted. (Abt 1 gal of water)
1 C. Laundry Soda,
1 C. Borax
I add the hot fels mixture to a 5 gal bucket, mix in the soda and borax, fill about 3/4 full with hot water. I usually add one or two tsp. of essential oils. I cover the bucket with a lid and store it in the garage. It gels. I keep a small plastic bucket full in my laundry room and use a 1/2 Cup dipper to measure into the washing machine.

We make soft soap using a watered down recipe that we use to make bar soap.
Vina8

Postby Lynda » Mon Feb 14, 2011 2:54 pm

Vina, I'm just happy I can now ignore the commercial laundry soap aisle, except for the Borax. :)

For auto dishwasher I use a half and half mixture of baking soda and borax. When I compared the cleanliness of the dishes it won hands down over the stuff I used to buy.

Everything's going up and just today I read that cotton prices have soared so clothing prices will go up about 10% this year. Time for some closet shopping.

Lynda

Postby Vina8 » Mon Feb 14, 2011 3:09 pm

I haven't used the auto dishwasher mixture. I am going to give that a try! Thanks. I have quite a bit of borax and soda stored, so it will be much cheaper and more convenient than buying commercial detergent.

We have purchased and stored some jeans and shirts because of the rising cotton prices. I am glad I don't have growing children to clothe!
Vina8

Postby Lynda » Mon Feb 14, 2011 4:57 pm

Same here, Vina. Unnecessary expense. Never thought I'd say that! ;)

Lynda

Postby yaHalyna » Wed Feb 16, 2011 12:36 pm

kymber wrote:yer awesome Victoria - thanks a bunch!

I use this recipe too - almost-
I use only 1/3 a bar of Naptha soap with 1c Borax and 1c Washing Soda. I just mix these together dry and keep it in a drum near the washer. I used to do it your way but first off, the water made it too heavy for me if I wanted to move it and you dont need as much of the Naptha, lasting 3 times as long.
yaHalyna

Postby victoria » Sun Mar 06, 2011 12:57 pm

yaHalyna,
That's what I love about it. It is just like other recipes, you can tweak it to what works for you. I know other people make it in powder form, but since I have well water that is very hard powders don't dissolve as well so I did not think to post it that way. The same as I cannot make it with Ivory as it gets stringy and leaves an awful scum in my machine. What I love the most though is that it is very cheap to make and works very well. So for someone who is looking to stretch their dollars they could make this and use the savings to buy some extra canned goods or whatever. I know people who will not try to make it or try to use it (if I offer to make them some) because it does not come from the store and does not have a name brand.
victoria

Postby roger o » Sun Mar 06, 2011 1:58 pm

Vina and everyone else, I've been watching this thread since its beginning (and similar threads on other sites) and have been very jealous because the stores around here don't carry borax or washing soda, and shipping costs make it prohibitive to buy online.

We just arrived in Florida for a few weeks vacation, and the first thing Linda and I did was to go to the local Walmart and Ace Hardware and buy the necessary ingredients. I can't wait to get started!

On another note, living near New York City, you would think you can buy anything... not really, especially if you are a prepper. Those of you who can shop locally for Borax, washing soda or bulk corn or wheat berries, etc. don't realize how fortunate you are.
Roger

Is est non maximus ut vos teneo totus refero - is est maximus ut vos teneo quaestiones sciscitor.
μολὼν λαβέ
roger o
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby CajunDaddys_girl » Sun Mar 06, 2011 3:43 pm

Roger Ace Hardware is the bomb for those hard to find items..Ace generally has Arm and Hammer Washing soda, Borax and Strike Anywhere Matches as well as canning supplies and all sorts of unusual kitchen gadgets...
CajunDaddys_girl

PreviousNext

Return to Home made products