• Advertisement

Easy Soap Making

Home made products; Soaps, dogfood, toothpaste and more...

Moderator: mmpaints

Re: Easy Soap Making

Postby mmpaints » Fri Sep 16, 2011 3:37 pm

Lostfalls, the sugar melts, the soap is smooth. The luffa grows like cucumbers do, I let mine grow up cattle panel. When the vine end starts to dry, I pick mine and set them to drying. I initially thought to wrap the luffa in aluminum foil but I had a "duh" moment just in time and wrapped them in wax paper and taped it instead ;) It works decent enough. I thought about plastic wrap but I don;'t think it would hold it firm enough.

Oh yah, the hay fields here are full of chiggers, I'm ate up from my knees to toes every hay season. It really soothes the bites and dries the sores up quick. I still like the dollar store "ice cold" stuff to burn the chiggers out with tho. It's hard to describe the difference between what you get from this simple recipe compared to store bought soap. I actually prefer this soap over store bought, not just because I make it but because it's such a great soap. If I didn't like it, I'd sure make a different recipe, LOL.
"Life is hard. It's even harder if you're stupid". - John Wayne

WARNING- i change my avatar frequently for my own enjoyment. Complaining about it won't help ;)
mmpaints
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby Lostfalls » Fri Sep 16, 2011 3:57 pm

Oh yes, homemade soap is sooo much better. Thanks for the luffa tips! I am gonna give that a try - and next fall I will try it with luffa I have grown. Also good idea on the cattle panel I will also start mine next to ours.

I am also going to give your recipe a try. Keep some for myself and send some to my aunties down south for Christmas.

Have a super weekend!
Lostfalls
Washington Preppers Network

Postby Sasha » Fri May 04, 2012 4:50 pm

I see this thread started a little over 2 years ago . . .dang . . I'm always late. I did go to the site that was mentioned in the first post, but I could not find the specific recipe for soap. Does anyone have one?
Unless we change the direction we're going, we'll end up where we're headed.
Sasha

Postby Lostfalls » Fri May 04, 2012 5:04 pm

Sasha PM me - what would you like? Recipe for lye? Recipe for plain soap - fancy soap - pet soap?

PS - I have MM's soap recipe.......somewhere..... I made it then filed it in the depths of my soap book
Lostfalls

Postby Savvy Survivalist » Fri Jul 13, 2012 3:16 pm

Can anyone provide a list of equipment necessary for a beginner to make soap with the cold process method?

Thank you!
Savvy Survivalist
New York Preppers Network

Postby Pedro wyoming » Fri Jul 13, 2012 4:23 pm

Savvy Survivalist wrote:Can anyone provide a list of equipment necessary for a beginner to make soap with the cold process method?

Thank you!

Sure.
Thermometer.
A scale that will weigh a couple of pounds.
glass measuring bowl.
stainless steel mixing bowl that can also be used as an ice bath to cool the lye water.
glass cooling dishes. Can also be made of wood and lined with wax paper.
wooden or glass stirring and mixing spoons.
plastic will also work, but must not have metal handles.

Generally glass is the best option. avoid cheap stainless as it is only stainless plate and the underlying metal will react poorly with soap making. Absolutely cannot be aluminum. Putting sodium hydroxide in aluminum will generate hydrogen gas. Hydrogen and lye are a very bad combination.
“It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change that survives.” Charles Darwin
Iמנא ,מנא, תקל, ופרסי
אלוהים
Pedro wyoming
Wyoming Preppers Network
Wyoming Preppers Network

Postby Lostfalls » Sat Jul 14, 2012 12:54 am

An apron
Rubber gloves
Safety glasses & some vinegar on hand (which will neutralize lye if it gets on you and starts to itch, which is what it will do before it starts to feel like it burning).
Lostfalls

Postby Empress » Sat Jul 14, 2012 1:05 pm

need to add this to my list of skills to learn. Thanks for the list of supplies.
~~,~'~@ @~~,~'~@ @~~,~'~
{Empress of the Known Universe}
~~,~'~@ @~~,~'~@ @~~,~'~
P!
Empress

Postby Savvy Survivalist » Tue Jul 17, 2012 4:49 pm

Thanks so much for the supply lists! Heading out this week to start getting what I need. I'm hoping to give it a try by the end of the month.

Does anyone have a supplier that they recommend getting the ingredients from...like the essential oils, etc.?
Savvy Survivalist

Postby Lostfalls » Wed Jul 18, 2012 10:15 am

Mountain Rose Herbs. So far they have been the best in quality for essential oils, coconut oil, and anything special I want to add in there like shea butter.

The olive oil I use I buy from Costco, if you want to experiment with other oils like corn, grape seed, canola, Crisco, etc... you can also pick those up cheapest at Costco or Cash and Carry.

http://www.mountainroseherbs.com/index2.html

Bramble Berry is also a good Soap/Candle supply company. http://www.brambleberry.com/

You can have so much fun making soap for a hobby there is so much you can do and experiment with. But remember though, for prepping purposes the saying 'keep it simple stupid' - you can make good soap out of lye, water, and fat. It won't look pretty, or smell pretty - but it will work good, and chances are no one will be allergic to it. Might be worth it try a couple of real simple batches just so you know you can do it with few ingredients if you have to....
Lostfalls

Postby mmpaints » Wed Jul 18, 2012 2:18 pm

One thing I've noticed over the years making soap- the cheaper quality the olive oil, the better the bubbles. Virgin olive oil is nice(expensive too) but the bubbles from it are a bit weak. Not that it doesnt clean your skin just as well tho.
"Life is hard. It's even harder if you're stupid". - John Wayne

WARNING- i change my avatar frequently for my own enjoyment. Complaining about it won't help ;)
mmpaints
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Previous

Return to Home made products