• Advertisement

homemade dog food

Home made products; Soaps, dogfood, toothpaste and more...

Moderator: mmpaints

homemade dog food

Postby victoria » Mon Jan 04, 2010 9:06 am

Hey All! Just wanted to let you know I posted in the hunting section on how I make homemade dog food to help keep the cost of the commercial feed down. I put it in that section because I use the scraps from deer when my guys hunt. Just in case anyone with doggies is interested.
victoria

Re: homemade dog food

Postby edea1976 » Mon Jan 04, 2010 3:39 pm

Awesome idea. I'll have to check it out. :-)
edea1976

Postby kymber » Tue Jan 05, 2010 10:31 am

thanks Victoria! does anyone make their own cat food?
kymber

Postby victoria » Tue Jan 05, 2010 5:18 pm

I don't make cat food , but I do make cat litter.
victoria

Postby kymber » Wed Jan 06, 2010 8:30 am

oh do tell....please!!!
kymber

Postby D_Loki » Wed Jan 06, 2010 11:47 am

I don't remember where I saw this, but the procedure is simple. Run newspaper, old magazines, scrap paper through your paper shredder. Soak the paper in water to a oatmeal consistency. Drain the paper in a colander or on a screen. Knead in baking soda while still wet to aid in odor control. Return the paper pulp to a screen and dry. When dry, crumble the paper into pea sized pieces. Now this is not a clumping formula so it will not stretch as far as clay litter, but It should do the job. If you had a large scrap paper source you could probably use the formula for bedding for other critters.

One other old-time recipe was to mix plain old sand with baking soda and clean and change as usual. We all know kitties love to hit the kids sandboxes.
D_Loki
Minnesota State Moderator

Postby kymber » Wed Jan 06, 2010 11:51 am

thanks D_Loki! the sand and baking soda thing was popular when i was a kid....hadn't thought of it in a long time - duh! our cats are outdoor cats and only do their business in the house during the coldest of days! but they are stinky little critters! and cat litter is expensive! and we have lots of sand nearby. you know what i will be doing once the snow clears. yep - you all guessed it! sending jambaloney (the hubby) off with his bike cart to get sand - bahahaha! he is going to kill you for this one Loki!
kymber

Postby D_Loki » Wed Jan 06, 2010 11:54 am

I will not take the blame for a time honored method of cat litter. If yer hubby get sent on a sand run, It is not me whose sending him so :P LMAO
D_Loki

Postby IceFire » Wed Jan 06, 2010 1:29 pm

That's it, D_Loki....deny all responsibility. If that fails, run like heck!
"Guns are like shoes...a woman should have one in EVERY caliber!"
IceFire
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby kymber » Thu Jan 07, 2010 7:55 am

bhahahahaha - oh that was a good one IceFire! oh and Loki...you are soooo to blame!
kymber

Postby victoria » Thu Jan 07, 2010 8:12 am

I do it the way D_Loki posted. Here is something else about it. If your a scooper you can put the newspaper in your compost because cat pee and newspaper both break down into nitrogen which is good for the soil. If your not a scooper you can make a seperate compost pile with the homemade cat litter and use it for flower beds.

P.S. My kids have outgrown sandboxes, but my dog has his own sandpile because he's a digger and he loves it when a cat visits his sandpile. He thinks he got special snacks delivered just for him! ( Thank goodness this doesn't happen often because guess who gets to go out and brush his teeth!)
victoria

Postby edea1976 » Thu Jan 07, 2010 1:06 pm

to Victoria

YECK!!! My big German Shepherd puppy LOVES cat poo and I'm running out of old toothbrushes! I can't bring myself to keep the same toothbrush once I've scrubbed poo out of her teeth with it. Why, WHY do dogs like the taste of that???
edea1976

Postby kymber » Thu Jan 07, 2010 1:09 pm

oh bahahahahah - this thread is getting totally out of control! thanks for the laughs guys and gals...i haven't had a dog in a few years (can't wait to get a black lab - my favourite kind of dog altho i love alll animals!) - but i am seriously hoping to train my new dog NOT to eat cat poop...oh who am i trying to kid???
kymber

Postby IceFire » Thu Jan 07, 2010 1:19 pm

edea1976 wrote:to Victoria

YECK!!! My big German Shepherd puppy LOVES cat poo and I'm running out of old toothbrushes! I can't bring myself to keep the same toothbrush once I've scrubbed poo out of her teeth with it. Why, WHY do dogs like the taste of that???

I think ALL dogs love cat poop! Especially when they're coated in cat litter. We call them "Kitty Crunchies".

I've solved the problem by keeping the cats downstairs in my finished basement, and keeping the dogs strictly upstairs where they can't get to the catbox. (Well, I mainly do it because the husky would eat the CATS if she could get at them--it's a husky thing....if it moves and isn't a human or another dog, it MUST be a menu item!)
"Guns are like shoes...a woman should have one in EVERY caliber!"
IceFire
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby victoria » Thu Jan 07, 2010 2:11 pm

Ok kymber
I'll post this and then leave it alone. Dogs love cat poo because it has alot of protein in it and dogs love protein. I got tired of my Malamute getting in the litter box so I popped him on the nose and now he looks at the menu, but never orders an appetizer. I think it surprised him because I believe in gentler training methods. Now outside in his sandpile is a whole different matter.(sigh)
victoria

Return to Home made products