• Advertisement

So you plan to bug out from the city.

Survival and Sustainability tips and ideas for suburbanites and apartment dwellers

Moderators: IceFire, medic72

So you plan to bug out from the city.

Postby John Galt 1 » Fri Dec 22, 2017 8:41 pm

Trying to stay positive here but it's a sad reality..

Living in an urban environment??? SHTF occurs in what ever form you choose, so you plan to run to the hills where the deer are plentiful and the water is clear.
Hoping to trap and build your family's survival like Daniel Boone.... a fantasy I've seen on other websites and mentioned on this one.

I'd suggest you reconsider. Thousands from your city will be racing to the same national park, hunting preserve, or rural area. all looking for food and safe water: many or most with bows and guns. Exactly how long do you think the deer will last? How long will your family last with 2 "hunters" per acre?

So you move on to farm country, plenty of chickens, corn, and cows right? Christian charity amongst the farmers with milk and honey overflowing?

We want to help but helping our families and neighbors comes first, plus we still buy most of our groceries at the grocery store. just like you city folk so not as much food in the kitchen as you may think. Food ready to slaughtered or harvested is already sold and gone. Farming is about efficacy,, grow and sell.

Considering that most homes in rural areas have a rifle propped against the door for varmints and are "tuned in " to the sound of something bothering the property do you actually believe that you can take some food? We don't want to shoot someone but a "thief" is basically a varmint; both steal food and need to be disposed of. Just protecting the family.

Please stock up your city home and stay there
If you are fortunate enough to own a few acres in a more rural area leave the city early to avoid the traffic..... but only if you have stockpiled a years worth of food at your pre-planned, prepared location and have some ability to grow more.

God bless and I hope these suggestions are never needed.
Talk is cheap, actions count.
John Galt 1

Re: So you plan to bug out from the city.

Postby Blondie » Sat Dec 23, 2017 12:10 am

Most people don't have enough gas in their vehicle to get that far.
Living In A Powder Keg & Giving Off Sparks
Blondie

Postby Permafrost » Sat Dec 23, 2017 5:14 am

John Galt 1 wrote: SHTF occurs in what ever form you choose, so you plan to run to the hills where the deer are plentiful and the water is clear.
Hoping to trap and build your family's survival like Daniel Boone.... a fantasy I've seen on other websites and mentioned on this one.

I will say that this is a unrealistic option for most folks, but that is mostly based on where they are. The reality is that I would be hard pressed to live indefinitely in the wilderness even here in Alaska, but it is possible provided a person does not get hurt and properly plans for the seasons. I even looked at this option when I visited my kid down in Washington, because I was curious if it was possible there. Most of my focus was on surviving long enough to get back to Alaska instead of a indefinite stay, but I did find many areas that I would consider acceptable for subsistence, mostly on the lesser populated eastern side of the Cascade range. I think it is possible to survive there in the wilderness if a person has both the right mentality and the right skills. Most will stop where the road ends, but if you go past that there will be far less competition for resources. A lot will have to do with planning, and luck will always play a factor.

If you are in the right area the wilderness is a good option for survival, and should not be discounted.
Permafrost
Alaska Preppers Network
Alaska Preppers Network

Postby Illini Warrior » Sat Dec 23, 2017 8:42 am

when your plan consists of ''Jeremiah Johnson'' lifestyle and little else - take a good look at reality programs like Alone and Naked & Afraid - even one of the various Alaska based shows .... surviving off grid during an Indiana winter will be tough enough ....

one thing that I rarely see in prepper's bug out plans - ''the return'' - and it most likely will occur ... not many of the serious SHTF will lead to TEOTWAWKI - you'll be coming home ....

do you have a checklist to prepare the home prior to bugging out? - you even plan on shutting off the water? ...
Illini Warrior
Illini Warrior

Postby John Galt 1 » Sat Dec 23, 2017 9:00 am

[quote="Permafrost. I think it is possible to survive there in the wilderness if a person has both the right mentality and the right skills. Most will stop where the road ends, but if you go past that there will be far less competition for resources. A lot will have to do with planning, and luck will always play a factor.

If you are in the right area the wilderness is a good option for survival, and should not be discounted.[/quote]

Even if you have the skills and mindset I suspect that even in the most remote areas there will be more people than the land can support.

And most people would travel towards rural farming areas. They would soon be short of food and forced to steal to feed their families with the resulting pushback from the locals and farmers. It's best to stay on property you own, even if it's in a city.
John Galt 1

Postby sageprice » Sat Dec 23, 2017 1:28 pm

Please reconsider what you say and when to think about bugging out. You are prepping for after a SHTF event. Do the thought work first.
3 minuets without breath
3 hours without shelter
3 days without water
3 months without food
So your still breathing, Is it winter? how are you going to stay warm? How much water do you have? How are you going to get more? Are people dieing from exposure and dehydration around you? Are you going to scavenge their houses for food? ( the dead do not eat). Do you have the mind set to take what you need and leave the rest. (big screen TVees are NOT needed). Can you kill a pigeon with a stick, slingshot, air rifle, without drawing attention to yourself? (yes! there will be other DESPERATE people out there willing to kill you for your pigeon). What weeds can you eat? Finally if you can make it for a year, do you have the skill to finally leave for the woods. No! the woods are death traps if you don't have the basic skills you need just to survive the cities. People who do not know how to hunt, shelter or build a fire will already be dead. There will be a lot of bodies but very little competition it you are patient and knowledgeable. Yes I feel sorry for those who are to stupid to prep even mentally because it cost nothing, weighs nothing, and is available to all. STILL, YOU CAN NOT CURE STUPIDITY. Get you head in order before you house. THINK, THINK, AND THINK AGAIN. Only the adaptable will survive.
sageprice
Maryland Preppers Network
Maryland Preppers Network

Postby Illini Warrior » Sat Dec 23, 2017 2:03 pm

here's an article that cropped up today .... https://www.thesurvivalistblog.net/deve ... out-route/
Illini Warrior
Illini Warrior

Postby Permafrost » Sat Dec 23, 2017 4:59 pm

Illini Warrior wrote:do you have a checklist to prepare the home prior to bugging out? - you even plan on shutting off the water? ...

You make a good point. I know our house in town is designed specifically to freeze, with water drains at low spots of all pipes and a release for the check valve in the well. We also have a 80 gal vertical air compressor next to the well to blow out the lines, it also does double duty for pressure testing the lines before we turn the water back on. I think I am in the minority in this though, as we leave to live in the woods a portion of the year and have built our life around this. I do not know how someone on city water would go about shutting down their water system at the main or draining the supply pipe coming in from the road so that it will not freeze & break. In Alaska most people only have grid electricity, there is a small percentage that have other utilities in the core of the cities but they are a extreme minority. Even when I lived within the city limits of Fairbanks (Alaska's second largest city) I had a well & septic. I have never thought about what it would take to close up a completely grid tied house and get it ready to freeze.
Permafrost
Alaska Preppers Network
Alaska Preppers Network

Postby Illini Warrior » Sat Dec 23, 2017 6:54 pm

Permafrost wrote:
Illini Warrior wrote:do you have a checklist to prepare the home prior to bugging out? - you even plan on shutting off the water? ...

You make a good point. I know our house in town is designed specifically to freeze, with water drains at low spots of all pipes and a release for the check valve in the well. We also have a 80 gal vertical air compressor next to the well to blow out the lines, it also does double duty for pressure testing the lines before we turn the water back on. I think I am in the minority in this though, as we leave to live in the woods a portion of the year and have built our life around this. I do not know how someone on city water would go about shutting down their water system at the main or draining the supply pipe coming in from the road so that it will not freeze & break. In Alaska most people only have grid electricity, there is a small percentage that have other utilities in the core of the cities but they are a extreme minority. Even when I lived within the city limits of Fairbanks (Alaska's second largest city) I had a well & septic. I have never thought about what it would take to close up a completely grid tied house and get it ready to freeze.

it gets down to emptying out the frig and propping that open before leaving - anything you can do to mitigate any damage and having the house habitable when you return is advisable ...

even if you have the tools & skills for making repairs - the supplies will likely be hard to come by - whatever damage your house suffered is multiplied by the 1000s - if your water heater froze up and busted - everyone's probably did also - same with toilets - same with piping ....
Illini Warrior
Illini Warrior

Postby Stahlrosen » Sat Dec 23, 2017 8:09 pm

I'm with Blondie. I don't think most people keep enough gas in their vehicles to make it to a truly rural and or wilderness area. And then I doubt they would survive a week. Hole up in some farmer's barn, you would be better off taking your chances in the elements, if you want to live. I don't think going rural is going to be a viable option for most people.
Stahlrosen

Postby anita » Sat Dec 23, 2017 8:57 pm

I read a book--don't remember the name--where something happened in NYC and they closed the city off so that no one could leave. It was interesting to read the author's concept of what would happen, and how quickly things would dissolve into chaos. There was no choice but to stay, and even though the main character did get his family out eventually, they had the problem of not being permitted into another area where they were headed, as those townspeople didn't want people entering their area.

On to a real life scenario: I believe i mentioned this on another thread, but my son as well as good friends live in Houston and were there during Harvey. My son was on the second floor of his apartment building. Water got to within a foot of the door, but never breached the building, so the water and power stayed on. They had stocked a week's supply of food and dog food and bought enough water for a week, and so forth. (I know, a week is nothing, but they had literally just moved in so I was glad he had gotten that.)

As the days went on and the groceries weren't open etc., he was getting really worried. They were safe where they were, but I think their food situation was starting to look a little bleak. I had had them fill all available containers and the tub with water in case the water went out or became unsafe to drink, so they were good with that. They had pepper spray to take out with them when they walked the dog (in the parking garage, as things were pretty much flooded at ground level.) Houston was told to shelter in place, by the way.

It was a good experience for them, as they didn't suffer damage but learned to be prepared.

My friends, on the other hand, had 18 inches of water on the first floor of the house and they still aren't moved back in. They also lost both cars. As the rain continued to fall, they assumed their house would flood, so they started doing what they could. It took them a day (working with neighbors) to move all the furniture they could to the second floor. They forgot to clean out the refrig, but did turn off the gas and water. One thing they could have done was get one car to higher ground ahead of time (his company's parking garage seemed logical to me.) As of a few weeks ago, my friend still hadn't gotten a new car, as she was having trouble finding what she wanted.

So, if you are going to leave, figure it is going to take a little time and forethought to protect what you have (depending on whether you have time to do that.) They decided to try to drive out and their car stalled out on their way to a nearby church, where people were being shuttled out by boat. If a county vehicle hadn't come along to rescue them, not sure what they would have done.

At least they had some time to move the furniture etc. In some cases (like the California wildfires) you have to leave on a moment's notice.

They aren't preppers, and she always tells me she'd just come to my house if something happened. (I live in PA, so a pretty far drive!) I don't know if they learned anything from that experience or not.
In honor of RebNavy: "Then call us Rebels if you will, we glory in the name, for bending under unjust laws and swearing faith to an unjust cause, we count as greater shame". Richmond Daily Dispatch May 12 1862

Semper Fi, Sic Semper Tyrannis, Remember The Alamo, and Aide'toi et Dieu T'aidera!
anita

Postby daaswampman » Sat Dec 23, 2017 9:46 pm

If you abandon your home "for any reason", don't expect anything to remain when you return. What the looters don't take the vandals will destroy! If you are not there to protect your home or have neighbors that will - then kiss it goodbye.

Nor is this just a "city" problem. I have bought several older abandoned homes in this area just to get rid of them. First the looters, then the vandals and scrappers. Once they break every window, haul off anything of value, pull the wires and plumbing out of the walls, and trashing anything left, just burn it down. Swamp
People rarely notice what it right in front of their eyes. The Da Vinci Code
daaswampman
Louisiana Preppers Network
Louisiana Preppers Network

Postby oldasrocks » Sun Dec 24, 2017 10:08 am

Swampman is right as usual. In 07 we had an ice storm here in Missouri. The whole area was out of power for 11 days. We were out for 60 seconds as we have a full house genny. We live about 12 miles north of town on a few acres.

I was in town working for the Red Cross at a shelter that housed several hundred people. Even at the shelter there were people problems. At home someone tried to break in. They found my wife and her 12 gauge so left in a hurry. Five other homes in the area had been broke into. Several neighbors had their plumbing freeze up and make a mess.

We did get jacked around a little getting propane as it was close to spring and out 500 gallon tank was near empty before the storm. So since I have bought another 500 gallon tank I keep full. We have also installed a gas fireplace to heat with so we could shut the genny down part of the day. It likes fuel too much.

We were fortunate enough because we are preppers. Even in this rural area very few people are organized to face a disaster. Most are on county water which went dry in 3 days, Probably one in a thousand have gennys or a well much less a supply of car gas on hand. We had friends come over to shower and get water from our well during the outage. We went into town out of boredom to check things out. Even Wal Mart was out of groceries. Anything that could be eaten easily was gone. Plenty of flour etc was the only thing left on the shelves.

So no water for most as the rural water district does not have generators for backup. Very little food available for the masses. No gas available as the town was out of electricity. So the people trying to bug out to rural areas are going to be in for a nasty surprise. This is in a town of 2,000 people.

Moral of the story is you will have to totally rely on yourself to survive.
oldasrocks
Missouri Preppers Network
Missouri Preppers Network

Postby 3ADScout » Sun Dec 24, 2017 10:40 am

Oldasrocks example is of a minor disaster could you imagine what will happen if 11 days turns into 11 weeks or God forbid 11 years (EMP)?

I am not a fan of whole house generators since they, in my opinion, don't consider fuel conservation, in a short term event this is no problem but in a long term event powering the whole house is a waste of fuel that might be a finite supply. A furnace and refrigerator don't run constantly neither should your generator. The other thing I plan to do when running the generator is to recharge all Batteries/power packs. This allows us to get the most benifit out of each gallon of fuel burned.

The other nice thing about not going with a whole house generator is that you can take it with you if you must leave. I keep a 5kw at the BOL and a small 2kw at the house. If I have to go to the BOL I take it with me as a back up and/or to power smaller items.

Propane is by far the best fuel in my opinion since it doesn't have a shelf life, you can store large quantities relatively cheaply and can use in a multitude of ways. You can use it for cooking for both a full size range in a home or in a smaller camp stove. You can use it to fuel a full size furnace or a small tent heater.
3ADScout

Postby John Galt 1 » Sun Dec 24, 2017 11:22 am

Permafrost wrote:

Good point about the pipes freezing. Even if you could heat some of the house the pipes would freeze in another part.

I worked for a summer resort for many years and every fall we had to drain the water from about 20 buildings. Even with drains in low places on the pipes there was always a burst pipe or 2 when we'd pressurize the pipes with water in the spring. It's really hard to completely drain a house's plumbing.
John Galt 1

Next

Return to Urban/Suburban Survival