• Advertisement

Farm Workshop Practices C 1939

Do-it-yourself and How To. Tips, plans and construction of things such as Root Cellars, Green houses, Dog houses, and more...

Moderator: mmpaints

Farm Workshop Practices C 1939

Postby D_Loki » Mon Jan 04, 2010 3:41 am

Thats right Homesteaders!! I am at it again with another classic. "Farm Workshop Practices C 1939" This book is probably 90% free of power tools, and the "how-to" for so many projects your jaw will drop as soon as you go through the table of contents. Classic Carpentry, tool care, use, and repair, implement repair, leather and tack repair....I could go on but just check it out. This one you might actually print out so you have hard copy.

D_Loki
"The Prepper's Librarian"

http://hotfile.com/dl/22894075/f2116b3/Farm_Shop_Practice.pdf.html
D_Loki
Minnesota State Moderator

Re: Farm Workshop Practices C 1939

Postby ponymama44 » Mon Jan 04, 2010 8:31 am

D_Loki wrote: This one you might actually print out so you have hard copy.

D_Loki
"The Prepper's Librarian"

http://hotfile.com/dl/22894075/f2116b3/Farm_Shop_Practice.pdf.html

I know because that would totally blow - the electricity goes out for weeks and you go to fix or make something and you remember - Hah - wasn't that manual from 1939 telling me how to do this. Then you go sit in your old computer chair and stare longingly at the screen. tap the enter button once or twice for old times sake....

If it is this good - print it!
Good one Loki
Having Fun is Priority One!
ponymama44

Postby kymber » Mon Jan 04, 2010 9:05 am

Loki...is it wrong to tell you that i love you? becuz deep down - i think i really do!

i been saving all the links that you bin putting up here in the forum...yer awesome eh? and if it sounds like i am buttering you up - i am!!! i just want ya to keep sharing these awesome links!!!

like is that bad or something???
kymber

Postby ponymama44 » Mon Jan 04, 2010 11:14 am

Oh so Loki - I read much of the PDF last night and it is really good. Sadly I think the old family who built and worked on our house for 5 generations never read this. We don't have a square corner or wall let alone a single level floor in our house. When I wrestle the printer away from the kids I think I am going to print it today. I think I will also make a list of all the tools he used, compare it to what we already have ( cross cut saw, planes, hand drill) and see what we need to go power less. Thanks a zillion. I also think it woul dbe fun to use this to entertain my non horsey 8 yo. He and i can find scrap lumber adn he can use the hand tools to build something over the winter. New Birdfeeder or laying boxes perhaps??

And Kymber YOU ROCK at sucking up! You go girl!
Having Fun is Priority One!
ponymama44

Postby D_Loki » Mon Jan 04, 2010 11:21 am

Kymber,

Flattery will keep me posting, but simple appreciation will get me posting more. As for buttering me up, well I think that's solely up to our respective spouses if thats going to be allowed LMMFAO
D_Loki

Postby Marica » Mon Jan 04, 2010 1:13 pm

No way I am not going to post one of my favorite quotes to this topic. You may have seen it before-- I post it every chance I get-- but it's worth it, IMHO.

With the increased mechanization of farms, it has become necessary for the successful modern farmer to be proficient in the use, repair, and maintenance of mechanical equipment of various kinds. ... Although the farmer needs to be an unspecialized mechanic, rather than specialized mechanic, he should nevertheless be a good one. He should be thorough and systematic. Slovenly or slipshod methods have no more place on the farm than in other business or occupations. Machinery that works well, gates that open and shut easily, and buildings and fences that are orderly and in good repair not only save time and money for the farmer, but contribute to morale and the pride of ownership.

Mack M. Jones
(Shopwork on the Farm, 1945)
Marica
Mississippi Preppers Network
Mississippi Preppers Network

Postby Empress » Mon Jan 11, 2010 10:17 pm

So Loki, do you have to be a member of hot files to download? I mush be tired today, can't figure anything out.
~~,~'~@ @~~,~'~@ @~~,~'~
{Empress of the Known Universe}
~~,~'~@ @~~,~'~@ @~~,~'~
P!
Empress

Postby D_Loki » Tue Jan 12, 2010 12:03 pm

no you don't Empress. Just follow the link and click, you may have to wait for 30 second for the d/l to start, and if you have already downloaded a file from Hotfile, you may need to wait for a period of time until you can do the next d/l. You only need to sign up to upload files for other people.
D_Loki

Postby Empress » Tue Jan 12, 2010 8:53 pm

thanks, I must just be impatient
~~,~'~@ @~~,~'~@ @~~,~'~
{Empress of the Known Universe}
~~,~'~@ @~~,~'~@ @~~,~'~
P!
Empress

Postby FFsuds » Sat Jan 08, 2011 2:12 pm

That link dose not work any more. sounds like some thing i would be interested in. i tryed finding it else where with no luck. is there a neew link? is that the real title? who is the auther? (it will help finding the book) thanks for any info.
FFsuds
Wisconsin Preppers Network

Postby cityhomesteader » Sat Jan 08, 2011 2:21 pm

FFsuds wrote:That link dose not work any more. sounds like some thing i would be interested in. i tryed finding it else where with no luck. is there a neew link? is that the real title? who is the auther? (it will help finding the book) thanks for any info.

a year in the Life of the world wide web changes a lot.. I just Bought the Book Makeshift Workshop Skills on Amazon.. Has just shipped and when I get it I'll post a review in the books area in forums..
Looks like what I need..

Makeshift Workshop Skills For Survival and Self-Reliance
Expedient Ways to Make Your Own Tools, Do Your Own Repairs and Construct Useful Things Out of Raw and Salvaged Materials
by James Ballou, with a foreward by Charlie Richie, Backwoodsman magazine

In today's high-tech society, even the most advanced devices and systems are not failsafe. Tools can break or wear out, batteries can go dead, and all sorts of malfunctions can render the modern conveniences we rely on totally useless. If quick replacements of failed items are not readily available, the ability to improvise and adapt in the workshop suddenly becomes very practical.

James Ballou, author of the best-selling Long-Term Survival in the Coming Dark Age, dramatically expands on the popular home workshop material in his first book to present a "makeshifter's" way of building and repairing things with only a pile of raw or salvaged materials, your hands and your mind. In this fascinating new book, he presents a wide range of unconventional, remarkably creative home workshop skills, including:

• HOMEMADE TOOLS—Make your own hammers, drills, screwdrivers, wrenches, pliers, saws, files, chisels, vises, clamps . . .

• EXPEDIENT REPAIRS—Perform sturdy repairs with ordinary glue, tape, cord, wire, dowels, nuts and bolts . . .

• MAKESHIFT CONSTRUCTION—Construct all sorts of functional items out of coat hangers, old car parts, 2 x 4s, wooden dowels, nails, rebar, coffee cans . . .

• USEFUL PROJECTS—Build a homemade forge out of an old barbeque; handle simple soldering jobs with a road flare; perform quick weld repairs with car batteries, jumper cables, and a pair of pliers . . .

Ballou also gives extensive instruction in makeshift metalworking, practical calculating skills, resourceful salvaging, plus dozens of practical tips for the craftsman or handyman who might need this information in an emergency or who simply enjoys learning about alternative ways to handle home workshop projects.

As far back as James Ballou can remember, his interests have included survival activities — hunting, fishing, exploring, treasure hunting, backpacking, shooting, making and using tools, and just plain improvising. The author of dozens of magazine articles on various subjects, he also served four years in the U.S. Army as a paratrooper with the 82nd Airborne Division.

There is a podcast about this at: Scroll down.. The Paladin Podcast, Episode 12: James Ballou

http://paladinpodcast.com/
Cityhomesteader
16 This is what the LORD says:
“Stand at the crossroads and look; ask for the ancient paths, ask where the good way is, and walk in it, and you will find rest for your souls. Jeremiah 6"
http://www.ConnecticutPreppersNetwork.net
cityhomesteader
Connecticut State Moderator

Postby FFsuds » Sat Jan 08, 2011 2:33 pm

thanks the more info like this the better IMHO!!
FFsuds

Postby cityhomesteader » Sat Jan 08, 2011 2:44 pm

FFsuds wrote:thanks the more info like this the better IMHO!!

you've got that right.. We have lost so many skills that our ancestors had.. I would love to just learn and learn as many old time skills as I can. Like what did they do before machines made life so easy? Don't get me wrong! I love my Puter! I need to find out ways to do without power and still make it..
Cityhomesteader
16 This is what the LORD says:
“Stand at the crossroads and look; ask for the ancient paths, ask where the good way is, and walk in it, and you will find rest for your souls. Jeremiah 6"
http://www.ConnecticutPreppersNetwork.net
cityhomesteader

Postby jollymoon » Thu Sep 01, 2011 8:01 pm

http://opensourcemachine.org/wp-content ... 939-ww.pdf

here is a new link for this great book... 1939 no copyright...
jollymoon

Return to DIY and How-To