• Advertisement

A Simple DIY Barrel Garden w/pics

Do-it-yourself and How To. Tips, plans and construction of things such as Root Cellars, Green houses, Dog houses, and more...

Moderator: mmpaints

A Simple DIY Barrel Garden w/pics

Postby Blackthorn-USA » Wed Feb 06, 2013 10:56 pm

I found a couple threads mentioning using barrels as planter here but nothing very in-depth. I’ve built a few and thought I’d write up a quick tutorial showing just how easy they are to build.

Well in a couple, three weeks people will be giving a lot of thought to their gardening projects for this year. Many people will be wishing they had a garden this year. I wanted to share a project I made a couple years ago that works for anyone but is especially effective for people in urban areas that have limited space.

The Garden Barrel planter is easily made from a 55 gal. plastic barrel with common hand tools or small power tools. The result is a planter that has 42 growing slots plus the top of the barrel for taller plants like tomatoes.

The Garden Barrel is perfect for balconies and patios. It can also be placed on a carpet dolly (rollers) and extend your growing season by being able to have it in the sun during the day and roll it into your garage or out building when there’s a chance of frost.

Once you have acquired a barrel you need to cut out the top of the barrel and mark our where you want your slots to be. I used a sharpie and measured from the seams on the sides of the barrel for accuracy. This isn’t required, you just need to mark where you want your growing slots. I drilled 3/8” holes on each end of my marks to aid in cutting and prevent splitting when I bent the slots. You can see my test run on the piece I cut from the top of the barrel.

I used a heat gun to heat the slot area until it was flexible enough to push a small length of 1 1/2" PVC pipe into the slot. This will hold the plastic in shape while it cools. I found it works best to start heating the slots from the bottom as the heat warms the slot above as well. By the time you get to the top the bottom slot has cooled sufficiently to remove the PVC piece and continue around the barrel.

Drill four 1/2" holes around the bottom of the barrel to allow excess water to drain. I put these about a 1/2" up on the sides of the barrel. In order to equally disperse water through the barrel I used a piece of 4” SDR35 pipe about 2’ long with a glue cap on the end. You can use any type of plastic pipe. SDR35 is just what I had laying around. I cut slots from the bottom up in increasing frequency to allow water to flow into the center of the barrel.

Now is the time to paint the Garden Barrel if you’d like. Fusion paint for plastic works well. Here’s mine along with some rain barrels I was putting together.

That’s it, your Garden Barrel is made. Now just determine where you want to place and whether you want it on a dolly. It will be very heavy once it’s filled so make sure you like it where it’s at.

Fill it with dirt about 1/3 full and set the watering pipe into the center while putting more dirt around the pipe to hold it in place. You want the top of the water pipe even with the top of the barrel or just a bit higher. Continue to fill and tamp firmly until the barrel is full. Now’s a good time to throw in a couple dozen night crawlers. I set a cap on top of the water pipe to keep leaves and debris out. To water the barrel just remove the cap and fill with water. The top and side can be sprinkled.

On your initial planting you may have to add some dirt to the planting slots. This actually makes planting easier, but once they’re full you will no longer need to add dirt. Now you just have to plant your slots with whatever you like. I use mine for strawberries, lettuce, and an assortment of herbs around the outside and on top tomatoes and a couple larger herbs. Here it is before I got stawberries around the bottom.

That’s it. Easy to build and puts a lot of plants in a small location. Hope someone finds the info useful and I’m happy to answer any questions you might have.
Blackthorn-USA
Outdoor Adventure School
Blackthorn-USA

Re: A Simple DIY Barrel Garden

Postby kotka73 » Thu Feb 07, 2013 1:04 am

Thank you for a great idea!
Looks like a great space saver, gave me idea for a "living" half wall around patio.
Maybe can be used with 5 gal buckets for someone with less space, would be also light enough to move around if needed.
Thank you for step, by step instructions and tricks.
kotka73

Re: A Simple DIY Barrel Garden

Postby Onegreenguy » Thu Feb 07, 2013 1:46 am

Awesome post plus lots of pics...Thank You!
"The era of procrastination, of half-measures, of soothing and baffling expedients, of delays, is coming to its close. In its place we are entering a period of consequences."

-Winston Churchill's oft-quoted warning on the eve of World War II
Onegreenguy
Tennessee State Moderator
Tennessee State Moderator

Re: A Simple DIY Barrel Garden w/pics

Postby ForwardPreppers » Thu Feb 07, 2013 3:45 am

Great post, thanks.
SC District 5

When a defining moment comes along, you define the moment… or the moment defines you.
ForwardPreppers
South Carolina State Moderator
South Carolina State Moderator

Postby zazzu » Thu Feb 07, 2013 7:49 am

Thanks for the great instructions. This would be perfect for all my herbs.

What did you use to cut the slots with?
zazzu
Florida Preppers Network
Florida Preppers Network

Postby IceFire » Thu Feb 07, 2013 12:07 pm

Neat idea! Thanks for posting it.
IceFire
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby Blackthorn-USA » Thu Feb 07, 2013 12:20 pm

Thanks all :) Glad you find it interesting. Preparedness is the cool part of my job as it covers such a wide range of things I am always getting to mess with and learn about cool stuff.

Zazzu,
I used a small battery powered circular saw and just plunge cut the slots. However a sawzall or jigsaw would work and if you need to purchase the saw I’d recommend getting a simple hand held drywall saw. While requiring more effort, the drywall saw only costs maybe $10.
Blackthorn-USA
Outdoor Adventure School
Blackthorn-USA

Postby Gunns » Thu Feb 07, 2013 12:26 pm

This is pretty cool.

Don't call me a sheep or sheep dog or a wolf. I am Tiger and eat all three.
Gunns
Texas Preppers Network
Texas Preppers Network

Postby zazzu » Thu Feb 07, 2013 3:24 pm

Thanks!
zazzu
Florida Preppers Network
Florida Preppers Network

Return to DIY and How-To