• Advertisement

Building your own small house

Do-it-yourself and How To. Tips, plans and construction of things such as Root Cellars, Green houses, Dog houses, and more...

Moderator: mmpaints

Building your own small house

Postby Photon Guy » Fri Jul 03, 2015 7:52 am

Check it out, a youtube channel on building your own small house and living off the grid with it.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCnKfJ- ... 778IBzXT-Q
Photon Guy

Re: Building your own small house

Postby FussyOldHen » Tue Nov 10, 2015 11:25 pm

The quick way is to buy a decent-sized garden shed, insulate it, and install a tent stove or small propane unit, a sawdust humanure bucket toilet, and a Murphy Bed. If it has a gambrel or steeper roof, you can put a mattress in a loft.

The modern Amish or Mennonites have shed-building businesses in many areas. Around here, a 12x16 high-roofed shed with a loft costs about $5,000 delivered. They build with good fir 2x4s and plywood, no chip- or strand-board trash.

Look up Tiny Houses if anything like that interests you.
FussyOldHen

Postby mmpaints » Thu Nov 12, 2015 3:49 pm

speed square, circular saw, framing hammer and git after it! Hoping to burn the crappy double wide I'm subjected to inhabiting this coming summer. I can build myself a nice, 2 story house for that $5k.........
"Life is hard. It's even harder if you're stupid". - John Wayne

WARNING- i change my avatar frequently for my own enjoyment. Complaining about it won't help ;)
mmpaints
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby AuntBee » Thu Nov 12, 2015 5:39 pm

I want to get a yurt.

Tiny houses are cool. If I had one, I'd want to keep it on a trailer so I could drive around and visit Fussy.

Aunt Bee
Don't shoot!
AuntBee
New York Preppers Network
New York Preppers Network

Postby terrapin » Thu Nov 12, 2015 6:37 pm

mmpaints wrote:speed square, circular saw, framing hammer and git after it! Hoping to burn the crappy double wide I'm subjected to inhabiting this coming summer. I can build myself a nice, 2 story house for that $5k.........

m,
How many folks you reckon even know what IS a speed square? ;)
Much less, how to use it?
terp
terrapin

Postby FussyOldHen » Fri Nov 13, 2015 3:22 pm

"I can build myself a nice, 2 story house for that $5k..."

How many folks you reckon know how to figure the square footage of an 10x12' shed? Or read the how-to manual?
FussyOldHen

Postby Photon Guy » Sat Nov 14, 2015 1:25 pm

AuntBee wrote:I want to get a yurt.

Tiny houses are cool. If I had one, I'd want to keep it on a trailer so I could drive around and visit Fussy.

Aunt Bee
Don't shoot!

Get an RV.
Photon Guy

Postby LeeLynn » Sat Nov 14, 2015 2:36 pm

I built my chickens the Cadillac of coupes last year. Fitted with soffit and ridge vent. It made me consider building a small house out in the woods like a 16×12.
LeeLynn

Postby TBob » Wed Dec 02, 2015 8:51 am

My son and I are building our new home, far from the grid. 16x32 with an 8x16 addion on the back. 2 13 by 16 lofts
TBob
Arkansas Preppers Network
Arkansas Preppers Network

Postby Illini Warrior » Wed Dec 02, 2015 12:39 pm

older mobile home that still has good bones - rehab & update .... automatically get around zoning problems and building inspections ... not hard for an average DIYer to turn a beaten mobile home into a modern looking manufactured home - better re-sale value overall ....
Illini Warrior
Illini Warrior

Postby FussyOldHen » Wed Dec 02, 2015 5:44 pm

"Get an RV."

Not if you expect to live in it for a long time. They leak like sieves. AFAIK, Airstreams are the only trailers that are well-made.

IL: Older mobile homes don't HAVE good bones. They have trash framing, fiberboard and pressed wood everywhere, filled with plastic and foam. I would be surprised if you crawled under one and raccoons (etc) hadn't clawed their way into the sealed insulation. And it isn't very likely that you will find one that has been maintained very well.

Mine was considered top of the line, but from when it was finished to this very day, it has never had heat on one entire side of the house (the same side with the thermostat). I finally pulled up the vent cover on the furnace end, laid on my stomach and ran a yardstick with a mirror taped to the the end down the vertical vent, and shined a good flashlight on the mirror so that I could light up and see the horizontal part of the ductwork. One of the min-wage, brain-dead, AH builders had carefully forced a big corner wad of that pink fiberglass insulation into one of the joints of the ductwork, almost completely filling it. He couldn't have done it by accident.

You would be better off starting fresh, doing it yourself so you know what you've got, instead of trying to jury-rig the combination of some idiot's work and cheap materials.
FussyOldHen

Postby Illini Warrior » Wed Dec 02, 2015 5:53 pm

FussyOldHen wrote:"Get an RV."

Not if you expect to live in it for a long time. They leak like sieves. AFAIK, Airstreams are the only trailers that are well-made.

IL: Older mobile homes don't HAVE good bones. They have trash framing, fiberboard and pressed wood everywhere, filled with plastic and foam. I would be surprised if you crawled under one and raccoons (etc) hadn't clawed their way into the sealed insulation. And it isn't very likely that you will find one that has been maintained very well.

Mine was considered top of the line, but from when it was finished to this very day, it has never had heat on one entire side of the house (the same side with the thermostat). I finally pulled up the vent cover on the furnace end, laid on my stomach and ran a yardstick with a mirror taped to the the end down the vertical vent, and shined a good flashlight on the mirror so that I could light up and see the horizontal part of the ductwork. One of the min-wage, brain-dead, AH builders had carefully forced a big corner wad of that pink fiberglass insulation into one of the joints of the ductwork, almost completely filling it. He couldn't have done it by accident.

You would be better off starting fresh, doing it yourself so you know what you've got, instead of trying to jury-rig the combination of some idiot's work and cheap materials.

"bones" don't include factory installs like a furnace - that's what gets rehabbed & updated .... "bones" includes basically overall frame and perhaps some of the utility runs

like someone already pointed out - not everyone has the total skills for a ground up build - and be able to pass inspections or even get a building permit as a DIYer ....
Illini Warrior
Illini Warrior

Postby AnneJ » Thu Dec 14, 2017 2:20 am

Tiny house are really good ones, they require less space and we can organize all the required things in a compact way. The video is very helpful for knowing the tips on constructing a tiny house.
We have a tiny house where we spent the weekends. Tiny house can be constructed taking help from internet sources. To make the house look trendy and make it stronger, we can have the insulated roofing, hurricane windows miami and doors, proper vents and wall insulation.
AnneJ

Return to DIY and How-To