• Advertisement

Hydro-ponics anyone??????

Growing food indoors and Hydroponics discussions

Moderator: mmpaints

Re: Hydro-ponics anyone??????

Postby Magnolia66 » Mon Mar 07, 2011 7:32 am

Hi from E.TN.! We started an aquaponics system in the Spring 2010. We've experienced a huge learning curve over the past year! :) We are in the process of making changes to the system in preparation for Spring 2011. We started out with catfish & due to lack of info & inexperience we lost all of them. :( We started over with Tilapia & so far things are going well. Even though the fish did not do well the garden part did great & was encouraging. I have a blog on FB about our adventure in aquaponics but I'm not sure if I can post that here. I'm new to the forums & don't want to get kicked off. Wolfracer your system looks wonderful & I'm jealous. :)
Magnolia66

Postby GoneFishing » Mon Oct 10, 2011 4:56 pm

Yeap - had my tank under our basement bed! plus 8 tanks around the house.

I grew these-Giant Australian Crayfish. Some got as big as a baby lobster.
http://farmingcrawfish.com/stick-fins-f ... mpany.html

During the summer I put them in the greenhouse in a 10' dia kiddie pool and floated plants on Styrofoam. The crayfish used to crawl out and walk around the chicken coop.

The crayfish like warm water so we are trying to conserve energy but if you have warm water- they multiple like crazy. And, they taste good.
GoneFishing

Postby dataman19 » Wed Nov 23, 2011 5:15 am

To the comment about your greenhouse showing up as a pot farm on satellite?
Really?
Pot looks like bright blue on Satellite (I know, I used to find Pot Farms that way). Normal new growth vegetation shows up as a pale blue to blue green....
Your Hydroponics or Aquaponics operation shouldn't be that glaring enough to warrant inspection.
Note: I grew up in Middle Tennessee (worked as a weather satellite tech for the "National Weather Service out of Langley, Va). When the DEA started using Infrared to search for pot fields they asked us why all these isolated bright blue dots kept popping up all over the place? I told them those were actual "wild Pot Plants" the woods of Tennessee, Mississippi,Alabama, and Georgia are full of wild POT plants... What is surprising about that..
This coming from a person who never smoked, never did any drugs (unless you count alcohol, started drinking when I was 26 - leveled off at 27, never really saw the value in smoking or getting drunk).
When I worked for the government I went on many a surprise urine test - no problem, unless Dr. Pepper is illegal, I'm good....
SatCOMM Imagery was one of "My Forte's" and most intercept duties as well. But now days the government lets terrorists roam free and even sells guns to them hoping to pocket some cash in the process. there are no hones people in Government anymore, and specifically not in Congress. Which is why I called it quits after 24 years....
Dave
Phoenix, AZ
dataman19

Postby Stage X Tuning » Thu May 03, 2012 12:09 pm

I will be starting my hydro garden this weekend after i pick up that last few items i need to get it going. it will be an outside system for now so i will not need lighting other then for the seedlings that i will be starting. i will most likely have 2 systems, aero and drip. i have had a hydro garden but it was over 4 years ago so only thing i still have for then was the 2 HID lights one 500W and the other was i think 1000W.
“From bondage to spiritual faith;
From spiritual faith to great courage;
From courage to liberty;
From liberty to abundance;
From abundance to complacency;
From complacency to apathy;
From apathy to dependence;
From dependence back into bondage.”
Stage X Tuning
New Jersey Preppers Network
New Jersey Preppers Network

Postby munchie3409 » Wed May 16, 2012 7:47 pm

This is what I want to do next year...I figured it's a bit late to start the project for this year, but I already have the IBC containers. I'm collecting windows to build the greenhouse.

Awesome set up you have going for you.

wolfracer wrote:I am doing aquaponics. I have had a system circulating since March of 09 and have gone thru several design and plant changes. First of all this stuff really works and can be done on any scale. Mine occupies a 10 X 12 Harbor frieght greenhouse.

here is a picture at the hieght of it's growth last November,

I have since converted it to all spices with the exception of swiss chard. I am planning on putting in some more tomatos but I want to give everything else a chance to get settled in before the tomatos go crazy like they did last time.

Here is a pic of the fish when they were smaller. the catfish have grown quite a bit.

munchie3409
Pennsylvania Preppers Network
Pennsylvania Preppers Network

Postby Tom Bergstrand » Sun Aug 19, 2012 7:09 pm

Here are 2 totally unrelated web sites that might help someone out. The first deals with the fish. It will take a few minutes but you MUST click on the side links in order from the top down to make it all relate. There is nothing saying that you have to get THIS big ..... but, you could if you wanted to. You can fill a fish need or a fingerling need in your area.
http://www.talipiafarmingathome.com

This site is a video of hydroponics using a tote (275 gallons usually).
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WYFM7J_T ... re=related

It will take a few minutes to watch all this BUT the IBC tote can be done indoors (with a grow light) or outside if you can keep it kinda warm.
Tom in Kingman Arizona
Oath Keeper #005181
Kingman Lodge #22 F&AM Kingman Arizona
U.S. Paratrooper
Tom Bergstrand
Arizona Preppers Network
Arizona Preppers Network

Postby anita » Mon Nov 19, 2012 6:01 pm

Mitty wrote:Hi,
I have an areogrow (an anniversary present), the hubby has some of the hydro equipment, not set up yet. We looking to buy a place so will set up then.
Did one batch of herbs with the areogrow, it was OK. Will use again this winter. Have herbs in the front yard right now.

Wow, that aero-grow video is impressive, and something that someone who can't have a garden could use to have a little lettuce.
In honor of RebNavy: "Then call us Rebels if you will, we glory in the name, for bending under unjust laws and swearing faith to an unjust cause, we count as greater shame". Richmond Daily Dispatch May 12 1862

Semper Fi, Sic Semper Tyrannis, Remember The Alamo, and Aide'toi et Dieu T'aidera!
anita

Postby BrotherTomScott » Sat Dec 08, 2012 1:47 am

Empress wrote:Ever heard of "aqua-ponics" my parents are really excited to try it. you hook your hydro- plants up to a fish tank, the fish water feeds the plants, and the plants clean the water. Then you eat the fish. There's a guy down the road from us who has a set-up and he demonstrates, by DRINKING the water that's recycling back into the fish tanks. interesting, no?

Wold like to find out more information about aqua-ponics. think it would be a great way to raise Trout or catfish. All info is welcome. Thx.. BrotherTom :) :) :)
BrotherTomScott

Postby Empress » Mon Dec 10, 2012 11:40 am

Sorry, don't get on as much as I used to. LIFE. :) a quick Google of Aquaponics will give you tons of starting info. I can check with my family on the classes they have taken in Milwaukee and some of their favorite books, web sites etc.
~~,~'~@ @~~,~'~@ @~~,~'~
{Empress of the Known Universe}
~~,~'~@ @~~,~'~@ @~~,~'~
P!
Empress

Postby meddle2243 » Thu Dec 27, 2012 5:57 am

Aquaponics is the way to go. I've been doing it for 2 years now and feed a famley of 4 with a system made with 3 of the IBC totes. I use crappy for the fish. They breed well and grow fast. Within a year they start to get to a fair eating size. I have grown just about everything in the system including corn and fruit trees. I was lucky to get a 16 x 30 foot greenhouse and put it in the back yard. The only thing I have to buy is fish food. I get it at Wal-mart. In hydroponics you are always messing with the furtaliser and having to buy it. I have been looking into using solar to power it all. All that is needed is a pump and a way to add the air. I use air pumps that I had on a fish tank but their are other ways of doing it. Their has to be a backup air supply in case of power outages or the fish will die quick. that's easy to just a car battery and a sump pump out of a boat and a relay. the biggest expense are the solar panels.
meddle2243

Postby Yeti_2015 » Tue Dec 15, 2015 5:29 pm

munchie3409 wrote:This is what I want to do next year...I figured it's a bit late to start the project for this year, but I already have the IBC containers. I'm collecting windows to build the greenhouse.

Awesome set up you have going for you.

wolfracer wrote:I am doing aquaponics. I have had a system circulating since March of 09 and have gone thru several design and plant changes. First of all this stuff really works and can be done on any scale. Mine occupies a 10 X 12 Harbor frieght greenhouse.

I have since converted it to all spices with the exception of swiss chard. I am planning on putting in some more tomatos but I want to give everything else a chance to get settled in before the tomatos go crazy like they did last time.

My wife and I are about to start with an aquapoincs system and we are excited. Its something that she been talking about and we are moving closer to get what we want. There is two systems set up around us for commerical production and they get alot of produce from the system. Please keep us update to date with how it goes.

Here is a pic of the fish when they were smaller. the catfish have grown quite a bit.

“Talk low, talk slow, and don’t say too much.”
–John Wayne

“Everyone has a plan ’till they get punched in the mouth.”
-Mike Tyson
Yeti_2015
Oklahoma Preppers Network
Oklahoma Preppers Network

Postby JBot » Tue Jan 10, 2017 12:09 pm

Hey guys and gals. I have been doing more and more research into aquaponics. This seems like it would be very beneficial seeing is how it is a closed looped system, and not only does it grow veggies but it grows fish in the process. This guy I found on YouTube his name is Murray Hallam is extremely knowledgeable and has been doing practicing this method for years. I have watched all the videos on his channel. I think I am going to give this a try and see how it goes.

Check out his channel --->https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC1zVIIhGK1OuGX27g2JZc7w

Cheers,
JBot
JBot

Postby JBot » Tue Jan 10, 2017 12:12 pm

This is great!i am glad to see someone implementing this already. How are your yields?? Are you feeding the fish pellets or do you make your own food for them? Sorry for all the questions. I am just super excited to see people trying this method.

Cheers,
JBot
JBot

Postby Gunns » Tue Jan 10, 2017 12:14 pm

That's pretty cool but how does it work in a grid down scenario? I suppose you could set it up all solar, then tear it out and put in a Faraday cage.

I don't know much about fish. I do know that one day they can be fine and the next morning you wake up and they are all dead. I have enough of a hard time growing veggies, I know I would kill the fish.
Gunns
Texas Preppers Network
Texas Preppers Network

Postby Rod » Tue Jan 10, 2017 1:46 pm

pease wrote:anybody know if a system like hydro/aero ponics is feasible with a solar off-grid power source?

I have read about some off grid systems. I am interested in pumps matched with a PV panel and battery power but I don't know where to look.
Where will you turn to for help when the Red Cross, Salvation Army and your Insurance is worn out? A.N.T.S.
Rod
Connecticut Preppers Network
Connecticut Preppers Network

Previous

Return to Growing food indoors