• Advertisement

Cattails

General foraging topics and Plants & wild foods existing in multi-regional areas or not specific to any particular region

Re: Cattails

Postby graf » Mon Mar 05, 2012 3:49 am

Cattail hearts are my favorite expecially when fishing. Those who arte using parks for ediables just a reminder be cautious many parks sprya vegitation for mosquistos etc. Same for those that live on or near gravel roads that get sprayed for dust control all those sprays are absorbed into the plant and can be very toxic. I concentrate on ediables in woods or open fields.
Failing to prep, is prepping to fail !
graf

Postby xray » Sat Mar 24, 2012 12:40 am

When in the wild, a marsh of cattails is a sure meal. It also provided great cover. When in trouble, do as the big bucks do, and enter the marsh.
xray

Postby Ecclesiastes 3 » Fri Aug 24, 2012 2:40 pm

Cattail is versatile and if you like the rhizome part of them try to find some wapatos (AKA-Duck Potatos) and give them a try. They cook good with anything a potato would cook with. If you don't know what they are they are a wild tuber that is found over most of North America and the bulb looks just like a baby potato when peeled. The tuber can be gotten to most of the year and the shoots and greens can be found in the summer. Not many people know about them, less know how to harvest them effectively and give up trying but in some areas where they grow in the southeast they grow in huge patches. There's a really good foraging book I have that introduced me to them, how to harvest them and prepare them. I'm not much on plugging books, products or websites online so if you would like the title PM me. Five bucks says that if you've harvested cattails you've walked right past the meatier wapatos to get to them.

Hope this might help some day
"The most prepared is one who learns to utilize everything and carry nothing" -Me
Ecclesiastes 3
West Virginia Preppers Network
West Virginia Preppers Network

Postby Disa » Fri Aug 24, 2012 3:02 pm

How hard is it to get cattails around your pond if you don't have them? Can I just pull some up from somewhere and plant 'em?

Cattail is one of the plants I want to be sure I have growing on my homestead. Along with their food properties, their fronds are excellent for basket weaving!

The other plant I want to get growing is bamboo. That's like growing PVC! :)
Disa

Postby FussyOldHen » Wed Oct 01, 2014 12:45 am

What I would like to know about cattails is how to harvest the roots. They are embedded in the soil like iron bars welded to a dump truck. I couldn't dig them, cut them or pry them up.

What's the trick, or is all of this just heresay?
FussyOldHen

Postby sageprice » Wed Oct 01, 2014 3:54 pm

Cattail roots washed clean and tossed on the embers od a camp fire peel of the corky rime and eat the soft centers. Now if there was something that existed like a "BUTTERBUSH" I would be in hog heaven.
sageprice
Maryland Preppers Network

Postby arkieready » Wed Oct 01, 2014 7:56 pm

Sage, you find the butter bush, I will buy us both one.
Cattail fluff could be a substitute for padding in things like chair pads. I think I remember a very old Mother Earth news article even saying it can be used in flotation devises. Idk. Memory, old age and all.
And of course, we always used cat tails as smoky punks on Fourth of July to light our fireworks.
P!

Happiness makes up in height for what it lacks in length.

--Robert Frost--
arkieready
Arkansas Preppers Network
Arkansas Preppers Network

Postby catfeet » Thu Oct 02, 2014 6:51 pm

I got a "butterNUT" tree in my backyard... ;)
catfeet
Vermont Preppers Network
Vermont Preppers Network

Postby Akingu » Fri Oct 03, 2014 4:28 am

Cattails are only edible as long as they're green. After they start to die they get really fibrous and tough. If you really got a hankering for them all year round, you could probably dig up the roots and store them in a cool place covered with wet or damp paper to keep them moist and ready for planting in some pond in the spring. Never really tried this but they ARE a rhizomous plant like Jerusalem artichoke, ginseng or bamboo.
Anyone else think this could work?
Akingu

Postby FussyOldHen » Fri Oct 03, 2014 1:06 pm

But WHAT'S THE TRICK to digging them up???
FussyOldHen

Postby Akingu » Fri Oct 03, 2014 4:36 pm

Well, first you have to get a willow switch, about 5' long. Wear only a red shirt with cut off sleeves and green Burmuda shorts. Wade out under a full moon wave the willow switch over the cattails and sing "I'm a Little Teapot" and use your toes to dig out the roots. That's how me grandma told me to do it. :shakeyes:
Try one of those spade-forky thing, like a pitch fork. Best time is in the spring or early summer when they're freshest.
Akingu

Postby sageprice » Fri Oct 03, 2014 7:22 pm

I Use a grass hook that I mounted on a long pole. It cuts the roots free as I pull it to me. A grass hook is sometimes call a hand sythe.
sageprice

Postby FussyOldHen » Sun Oct 05, 2014 5:14 pm

Sageprice, now THAT sounds like a good idea. How do you connect the pole to the handle so it doesn't pull free when you apply pressure?

Akingu's advice won't work because I don't know that song.
FussyOldHen

Previous

Return to General