• Advertisement

MnE 18 Yarrow

General foraging topics and Plants & wild foods existing in multi-regional areas or not specific to any particular region

MnE 18 Yarrow

Postby froglevel » Tue Sep 17, 2013 7:12 am

Yarrow - Achillea millefolium. It grows every where in North America even above the arctic circle. A highly prized plant. I kept an eye open for this plant all spring. Although I had never seen the plant (except photo’s) I recognized it immediately. It was growing in deep roadside grass in the edge of scrub pine. As it is prone to spread by rhizomes I knew there’d be more within feet. There was, plenty of it. It’s the dark green growth in the pic with white blooms.

It’s on my tier one list for plants to grow here on the farm. For wounds I’d also want access to elderberry and plantain, then skullcap, lobelia and solomons seal for pain. An herbalist would actually know the subtleties.

From the net “Yarrow has been used as a medicine for ages. The genus name, Achillea, honors the Greek hero Achilles, who is said to have used yarrow on the battlefield to staunch the bleeding of his men's wounds. Externally, yarrow is styptic (stops bleeding), astringent (makes tissue contract), antiseptic (inhibits bacterial growth), vulnerary (helps tissue heal), anti-inflammatory, and possibly anesthetic. For external use, generally either the fresh or dried plant material is used as a poultice, or a tea made from the plant is used in compresses or as a wash. It's also sometimes used in ointments.”
Attachments
Yarrow.jpg
The Charcoal Man
froglevel

Re: MnE 18 Yarrow

Postby catfeet » Tue Sep 17, 2013 9:06 am

I love all of these herb posts you're doing. Keep it up! :D
catfeet
Vermont Preppers Network
Vermont Preppers Network

Postby froglevel » Wed Oct 09, 2013 6:53 pm

I didn’t know yarrow could be used as a repellant but it appears so. :shock:

Yarrow (either fresh or dried flowers and leaves)
Alcohol (vodka works fine)
Water
Catnip Essential Oil (a few drops) (can be replaced by sage or lavender)
Spray bottles

If using fresh yarrow, fill a jar with chopped yarrow flowers and leaves. If using dried yarrow, fill a jar about half full with yarrow.

Cover this with vodka and let sit for a week. Then strain off the plant material. Preserve the liquid.

Fill a spray bottle with half the liquid and then fill the rest of the way with water. You could also just use the alcohol extraction without any additional water. Of course this costs more in the long run.

Place a few drops of catnip essential oil in the spray bottle. Catnip essential oil has been shown to be more effective than DEET at deterring mosquitoes.

I found it at this website. http://www.herbmentor.com/20100722/ There were several more useful ideas on how to use various plants.
The Charcoal Man
froglevel

Postby wfduggan » Mon Sep 15, 2014 5:13 pm

You can use it to calm bug bights too. I use it on my tick and chigger bights. Talk to Penny at http://wildcrops.com/ I've had the luxury of meeting her and learning some things from her. she extracts many wild crops and sells product.
Making off-grid living a reality for others.
wfduggan
Missouri Preppers Network
Missouri Preppers Network

Postby Akingu » Wed Sep 17, 2014 4:18 pm

I've had yarrow stave off tenus as well. Last year on the farm I got hit right in the joint of the thumb with a rusty nail. Within an hour it had swelled up and turned a bright red. I put a hot yarrow compress on it several times a day as well as wrapping the thumb with the yarrow on it and in just 1 week the infection had gone away.
I've found that drinking a tea made of yarrow - 1/2 C of chopped leaves and flower stalks to 2 C water then brought to a steep for 5 min will cure most colds and flu symptoms if taken before bedtime. It raises the bodies temp and makes you sweat.
As an herbologist, I really like your posts! TY! :thumbsup:
Akingu

Return to General