• Advertisement

MnE 23 Cinquefoil

General foraging topics and Plants & wild foods existing in multi-regional areas or not specific to any particular region

MnE 23 Cinquefoil

Postby froglevel » Sat Sep 21, 2013 9:58 pm

Cinquefoil – here on the farm I have 3 species growing with in feet of each other, P. simplex, P. reptans and P. recta. The plant has been used for food and medicine for millennia. I took these photo’s last May, took until today to sort them out. P. recta seems to be the most medicinal of the three.

Potentilla simplex - common cinquefoil and Potentilla reptans - creeping cinquefoil. Both are just about every where east of the Rockies. Gulf coast to Hudson bay. Creeping cinquefoil grows as a tiny stiff vine which has a reddish brown color. Common cinquefoil plants are connected under the ground. It will appear as a single or group of small plants. Erect with a reddish brown stem.

Tasty greens as a pot herb, a little bitter to the modern palate. The astringent properties are used medicinally. http://www.altnature.com/gallery/Cinquefoil.htm. Traditionally it was used for drying wounds.

Potentilla recta or sulfer cinquefoil. It's range is twice that of the first two. It grows from the Atlantic to the Pacific and north to Alaska. It’s a little sparse along the gulf coast.

Edible Uses: The fruit of sulfur cinquefoil is edible, raw or cooked. The unripe fruit is reportedly almost as pleasant as the fully ripe fruit.

Medicinal Uses: An astringent (leaves are extremely bitter, but highly astringent which is an agent that makes tissues contract) burns, sores, wounds (pound the leaves into a poultice to apply), diarrhea, dysentery, nausea and sore throats.

Wild Edible and Medicinal Plants - http://keys2liberty.wordpress.com/tag/p ... a-simplex/ I don't know who ran this blog but I've found it to be very accurate when it comes to plants. Someone spent 100's if not 1000's of hours compiling all this data. I sometimes find this link when researching plants. It reflects the scattered data I've found. Personally, I’m looking at things from a more medicinal view and need details this site doesn’t provide. It's a great site for someone looking for general knowledge or just starting out.

Pics 1 & 2 - creeping cinquefoil
Pic 3 – common cinquefoil
Pic 4 – sulfur cinquefoil, that’s perilla plants around it.
Attachments
cq 01.jpg
cq 02.jpg
cq 03.jpg
cq 04.jpg
The Charcoal Man
froglevel

Return to General