• Advertisement

MnE 27 Perilla

General foraging topics and Plants & wild foods existing in multi-regional areas or not specific to any particular region

MnE 27 Perilla

Postby froglevel » Thu Sep 26, 2013 3:52 pm

Perilla frutescens… One of my favorite things to munch here on the farm. I really like the flavor of the leaves, minty. Perilla is in the mint family – Lamiaceae. It’s used extensively in Asian cooking today and far into history.

Borrowed from the net...
"Perilla oil is obtained by pressing the seeds of perilla, which contain 35 to 45% oil. In parts of Asia, perilla oil used as an edible oil is valued more for its medicinal benefit than its flavor. Perilla oil is a very rich source of the omega-3 fatty acid alpha-linolenic acid. As a drying oil similar to tung oil or linseed oil, perilla oil has been used for paints, varnishes, linoleum, printing ink, lacquers, and for protective waterproof coatings on cloth. Perilla oil can also be used for fuel."

From the best sources I can find Perilla was brought over in the 1800’s with Asian immigrants. It now grows wild in almost every state east of the Rockies and Washington state.

Several years ago I bought hay during a severe drought. The next year this weed appeared. I spend 1 to 2 days a year bush hogging acres of it. Last summer I learned this weed is Perilla. It’s now a lemons to lemonade situation. Perilla has uses.

I bought a hand crank oil seed press by Piteba (good press). I intended to harvest perilla seed and press oil. I had no idea when to harvest. I missed the right time by a day. We had a heavy fall rain. All the seed dropped during the storm.

The seed is inside a husk. I was guessing it would dry and hold the seed. I was wrong, it peels back as it dries and drops the seed. I actually harvested a 5 gallon bucket of seed heads but the moisture content was too high. I decided to wait a week, then I got the rain and no seed.

Here it doesn’t like to grow in full sun. It stays in shady areas and along the edge of pastures. Might be different in northern climates.
Attachments
Perrila g 01.jpg
This spring, perilla was just coming up. All the little leafy plants up this hillside (choking out my grass) is perilla.
Perrila g 03.jpg
All along the tree line as far as the eye can see, more perilla
Perrila g 05.jpg
It usually only 3 to 4ft tall. Lots of July rain this year and some plants are 6ft.
Perrila g 07.jpg
The seed heads are appearing.
Perrila s 01.jpg
The seed heads are turning brown, almost mature.
Perrila s 02.jpg
I stripped off the leaves. The seed is tiny but each plant has thousands. The seed is in 4 rows on the heads. Each head will have 20 to 60 seeds. This plant has more than 150 seed heads, (I stopped counting)
The Charcoal Man
froglevel

Re: MnE 27 Perilla

Postby pelenaka » Thu Sep 26, 2013 4:54 pm

Color me a happy prepper 'cause this plant looks familiar. As in growing in vacant city lots.
Thank you !
pelenaka
New York Preppers Network
New York Preppers Network

Postby froglevel » Thu Sep 26, 2013 7:36 pm

Great! Many more folks drive by it every day. Here the leaves are green on the upper side and have a purple tint underneath. This fades as the plant gets older.

Got busy with photo's and forgot to include links with this post. Don’t often get to include “gourmet recipes” with wild plants. This first one looks delicious, I’m definitely going to try this sometime.

http://www.spicy-aroma.com/2013/05/cann ... ncake.html

http://aeriskitchen.com/2012/08/perilla-bokkeum/

http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2011 ... ecipe.html

And the medicinal side, yes, your local CVS Pharmacy knows about perilla. :D

http://health.cvs.com/GetContent.aspx?t ... iid=111716

http://healthyeating.sfgate.com/benefit ... -5139.html
The Charcoal Man
froglevel

Postby catfeet » Fri Sep 27, 2013 8:24 am

Ah- I know it by the name Shiso. I'd love to get it started, but I'm not great with mints from seed. Give me a live plant, and it comes up and back, but from seed...sigh. Not so much. Also, they don't do great here during the winter. It gets too cold for some of them, Pennyroyal, for example, is tender here. I've tried growing Shiso, and I'd love to, but...we'll have to see if I can get it to grow in full sun.
catfeet
Vermont Preppers Network
Vermont Preppers Network

Return to General