• Advertisement

Join Your States Prepper Network. Click Here

MnE 28 Blue Vervain

General foraging topics and Plants & wild foods existing in multi-regional areas or not specific to any particular region

MnE 28 Blue Vervain

Postby froglevel » Fri Sep 27, 2013 4:22 pm

I’m going to stop here. I hope these plants help you and yours in a time of need. These are some very powerful medicines. They heal wounds, respiratory problems. A range of digestive issues, pain issues, many types of infections, even help with childbirth.

Most importantly they grow wild every year, a self stocking medical kit. C. Lundin “The more you know the less you need”.

I’ve mentioned 47 common plants. There are many redundancies. A plant rarely has only one use or benefit. Example, if I get the flu 20 different plants come to mind. I’ll use the first one I find. Several plants like Elderberry and Heal All are a medicine chest in their own right, to many uses to list.

I though I’d end this series with a very common plant - Blue Vervain. In the pic below it’s the whitish looking thing in front of the green foliage. Over the summer I started calling it “the most un-photogenic plant in America”. I could never get a good pic.

It has limited if any medicinal uses but a very interesting history. Historically, blue vervain has been associated with sorcerers, witches, and magic. It even has ties to vampire in folklore. In ancient times, it was bruised and worn about the neck as a charm against headaches and venomous bites.

Blue vervain was used by Persians, Egyptians, Greeks, Romans and Druids. In Egyptian mythology, vervain grew from the tears of Isis, goddess of fertility, as she grieved for her murdered brother-husband, Osiris. A thousand years later, vervain entered Christian mythology as the herb pressed into Christ's wounds to stanch his bleeding, hence its name herb-of-the-cross.

It was the divine weed that was sprinkled on the altars of Jupiter. Hippocrates recommended vervain for fever and plague. The court physician to Roman Emperor Theodosius the Great prescribed it for tumors of the throat (probably goiters). His fanciful prescription advised cutting vervain into two pieces, tying one around the patient's throat and hanging the other over a fire. As the heat and smoke shriveled the hanging root, the tumor was supposed to shrink.

The Romans spread vervain throughout Europe, where it became especially popular among the Druids of pre-Christian England, who used it in magic spells, hence its name enchanter's herb.

Anyway, I hope some of you will get benefit from these plants. I plan to spend the winter learning to make medicines from some of the plants I dried. As I learn more about these plants I’ll update the threads with any useful info.

There are some medicinal plants that only grow in the southeast, might post a few there.
Attachments
Blue Vervain.jpg
The Charcoal Man
froglevel

Re: MnE 28 Blue Vervain

Postby arkieready » Fri Sep 27, 2013 8:24 pm

sure do appreciate what you have done here, froglevel. you are talking on our level. to the point, with pix. thank you.
P!

Happiness makes up in height for what it lacks in length.

--Robert Frost--
arkieready
Arkansas Preppers Network
Arkansas Preppers Network

Return to General