• Advertisement

getting started foraging article

General foraging topics and Plants & wild foods existing in multi-regional areas or not specific to any particular region

getting started foraging article

Postby Myakka » Tue Feb 04, 2014 10:00 pm

New article on how I started foraging for wild edibles.

http://americanpreppersnetwork.com/2014 ... ibles.html
[i]"Oh, America. I wish I could tell you that this was still America, but I've come to realize that you can't have a country without people. And there are no people here. No, my friends. This is now the United States of Zombieland"
[/i]

Skills beats Stuff!
Myakka
Florida Preppers Network
Florida Preppers Network

Re: getting started foraging article

Postby froglevel » Wed Feb 05, 2014 1:31 am

Great article on getting started, way to go!... You witnessed me getting started with plants and how I learned. You know what it takes to really learn wild edibles. ;)
The Charcoal Man
froglevel

Postby Myakka » Wed Feb 05, 2014 6:51 am

You are way past me though. I appreciate you Frog.
[i]"Oh, America. I wish I could tell you that this was still America, but I've come to realize that you can't have a country without people. And there are no people here. No, my friends. This is now the United States of Zombieland"
[/i]

Skills beats Stuff!
Myakka
Florida Preppers Network
Florida Preppers Network

Postby TaffyJ » Thu Sep 11, 2014 10:16 pm

I've found myself in a yard full of goodies, depending on the season. I've got joe pye and elder and sunchoke, dandilions, and oxalis. And yellow dock. A few of our trees make huge acorns. There's likely more around to be had, but I'm not aware of it yet.

I'm lucky in that I already know where these plants are growing on my property and in what season I will find them. And I've got 25 acres to forage. I'm very fortunate.

If a person is depending on foraging on unfamiliar land and they have to hike around for hours to maybe find something, it seems that they might burn more calories than they gain by foraging. Again, I am lucky because I know where what plants are and I can go straight to them and bring home a basketfull with minimal calories of effort wasted.

People who plan to forage for survival might find themselves in a negative calorie situation if they're not careful. There's a reason humans cultivate calorie dense foods like corn and potatoes. Energy intense foods are a good bet for a positive ratio of energy-returned on energy invested.

If every calorie counted, and you found yourself in a near starvation situation where you could theoretically starve by the energy expended looking for food, which wild edibles would you focus on finding that would give you the best return for the effort?

I'm thinking it would be root or nut crops like sunchokes, pine nuts, acorns, etc..

Greens like dandelion, oxalis, purslane, etc. may fill your belly, but they won't do a whole lot for your daily calorie needs, I'm guessing.

Can you recommend, since you've done more reading than I on the subject, what wild edibles are more calorie dense than others? It would perhaps be wise for us to know those wild foods and cultivate some close to home.
Shrug
TaffyJ
Louisiana Preppers Network

Postby TaffyJ » Thu Sep 11, 2014 10:23 pm

For example, nutritiondata.com shows this:

Jerusalem artichokes, 1 cup raw = 109 calories
dandelion greens, 1 cup raw= 25 calories

If I'm starving and I have a choice, the Jerusalem artichoke is the better option, as long as the calories gathering the food are similar. That's why I ordered and planted some roots of them in a nearby spot of lawn.

But then, is it still 'foraging' if you've planted a wild thing near you, as you would plant a common garden plant?
Shrug
TaffyJ

Return to General