• Advertisement

Limits of Foraging

General foraging topics and Plants & wild foods existing in multi-regional areas or not specific to any particular region

Re: Limits of Foraging

Postby daaswampman » Tue Oct 18, 2016 11:45 am

I am in a similar boat, but I have to accept that I am not the force I once was. I can certainly feed myself and keep busy all day, but could I stand and fight to defend what I have? Speed, hearing, and eyesight are not what it once was.

God knows the effort I have put into force extenders, security, and not standing out, but just slipping away seems the most sensible action should a life and death confrontation occur. The good thing about being older is I know my limitations and capabilities. Swamp
People rarely notice what it right in front of their eyes. The Da Vinci Code
daaswampman
Louisiana Preppers Network
Louisiana Preppers Network

Re: Limits of Foraging

Postby sageprice » Tue Oct 18, 2016 2:31 pm

Our attitude towards food would require some major adjustments. The bottom line is young, healthy, and very knowledgeable people would have a good chance. Raise your hand if that description fits you. Swamp[/quote]

I agree with most of the above except for the last comment. Some of us old farts get more done by accident that the young do all day. On both fronts--some of us grew up hard and learned how to forage, learned how to garden, learned how to hunt efficiently at a young age and honed over the years to become 2nd nature. We don't have to fret, read a book, or trip over ourselves to gather and hunt.[/quote]
I understand where both of you are coming from but my personal training and and experiences lead me away from the negative views you have. I'll leave you to read Linda Runyons accounts of living by foraging that she did for greater than 15 yrs. There is a journal by "Wild Pete" which is hard to find which happened after WW1 that reinforces my belief that long term foraging is a usable option.
sageprice
Maryland Preppers Network
Maryland Preppers Network

Previous

Return to General