• Advertisement

Late summer and fall free foods

Wild foods, edible plants and herbs found in the North Eastern U.S. and South Eastern Canada

Late summer and fall free foods

Postby Hunter » Fri Jul 27, 2012 3:11 pm

Late summer and fall offer some wonderful free foods from nature when you know where to find them. In the North east this means such crops as wild raspberries, wild blueberries, elderberries, blackberries, walnuts, and much more. Each year I take to the woods and fields in search of such treasures and put up wonderful amounts of free food. On a good year you can pick 40 or more quarts of each and have some of the best and healthy food known to man. Its all free and all good but takes a fair amount of time and dedication to get. In some cases you may have to hike in so take water and containers that are easy to carry.

Remember to where clothing that is protective and keep a watch out for a friendly bear or two. Other wise its all out there and free on public lands for the picking. Some states have regulations on harvesting methods and maybe even other rules that apply so find out ahead of time in your area. Happy eating to all that try.
Hunter

Re: Late summer and fall free foods

Postby ForwardPreppers » Fri Jul 27, 2012 4:11 pm

We found a blackberry thicket near our house on a walk this spring when it was flowering. We came back to it about a month ago and the berries were ready to be picked. We probably picked 15 quarts of blackberries. They were much smaller then the ones you see in the supermarket, but they tasted great.
When a defining moment comes along, you define the moment… or the moment defines you.
ForwardPreppers
South Carolina State Moderator
South Carolina State Moderator

Postby Hunter » Wed Aug 22, 2012 12:45 pm

Our blackberries have been ripening and while the crop is smaller this year I have so far picked about three gallons. I will blame the drought conditions on not just low crops but also for the deer eating the plants. Many of the plants are eaten clean of leaves. next week I have some time off and I am planning a trip to my BOL. While there I hope to harvest my wild blueberries. I have had years that you could fill a pick-up truck and years that its hard to find a quart of them. I am hoping for a large crop this year as last year was very poor.

I am still searching for a replacement to the elderberries that the road commission cut down on me. It takes time to find new places that you can forage for what you want.
Hunter

Postby Frozennorth » Wed Aug 22, 2012 1:10 pm

We picked close to three gallons of blueberries over the past two weeks and are going to be heading out to gather low bush cranberries this coming weekend. The levels of vitamin C in these two berries is incredibly high. We will use them for cooking and also as a way to chase away winter colds. Nothing better than some free berries.
"Instead of calling it the Patriot Act, they should have called it the Repeal of the Fourth Amendment Act." Ron Paul

"We must all hang together, or, assuredly, we shall all hang separately." Benjamin Franklin
Frozennorth
Alaska Preppers Network
Alaska Preppers Network

Postby Rabid » Wed Aug 22, 2012 2:26 pm

It is also getting into mushroom season. I usually harvest some fall mushrooms while scouting my deer hunting area.
DAMMIT IM MAD spelled backwards is DAMMIT IM MAD
Rabid

Return to Northeast