• Advertisement

Happy Hunting - nut crop looks good

Wild foods, edible plants and herbs found in the North Eastern U.S. and South Eastern Canada

Happy Hunting - nut crop looks good

Postby ohiofarmer » Mon Oct 13, 2014 6:14 am

Has anyone spent time in the NE woods this Fall? We have a bumper crop this year in the NE. Acorns, Beechnuts, Hickory nuts, Chestnuts, and Walnuts. I collected 6 - 5 gallon buckets of Walnuts yesterday, I need about 6 more for the year.
The animals should have plenty of food to over winter with, plus the corn and beans were good around here this year. They'll be fat this year and not as stressed this coming spring. So it should be a good hunting season next year as well. Farmer
ohiofarmer
Ohio Preppers Network
Ohio Preppers Network

Re: Happy Hunting - nut crop looks good

Postby Naughty n Nice » Mon Oct 13, 2014 6:54 am

Thanks!

Noticed lot's of Black Walnuts laying along the road this year and plenty of apples.
We do it nice because we do it twice...
Naughty n Nice

Postby Blazer2 » Mon Oct 13, 2014 8:36 am

I did notice that farmer. My neighbor has a few walnut tree's and does nothing with them. I picks them up when out walking my dog. I have only 3 five gallon buckets. Drying don't know how many i will need. First year picking them up.
Blazer2

Postby ohiofarmer » Mon Oct 13, 2014 9:20 am

Blazer2 wrote:I did notice that farmer. My neighbor has a few walnut tree's and does nothing with them. I picks them up when out walking my dog. I have only 3 five gallon buckets. Drying don't know how many i will need. First year picking them up.

Depends on how meaty they are 1 1/4 buckets per quart mason Jar. My wife is a big holiday Baker so she runs through all I gather plus more. The time consuming part shelling and picking. Where rubber gloves when hulling. Nothing beats the taste of a fresh walnut, Farmer
ohiofarmer
Ohio Preppers Network
Ohio Preppers Network

Postby catfeet » Mon Oct 13, 2014 5:10 pm

Heh - still washing the stain off... http://shoppinginmybasement.com/2014/10 ... k-walnuts/ (I tore thru the rubber gloves...)
catfeet
Vermont Preppers Network
Vermont Preppers Network

Postby ohiofarmer » Mon Oct 13, 2014 5:48 pm

Thanks Cat. Good info- some thing to try next week end. Farmer
ohiofarmer
Ohio Preppers Network
Ohio Preppers Network

Postby arkieready » Mon Oct 13, 2014 6:39 pm

North central Arkansas (at least the area I visited a couple weekends ago) seems to have a very nice crop of hickories. I got about 15-20# just under one small tree, maybe 8-10 inch diameter trunk. I need to check my pecan spot. It's very public but I've gathered buckets full in years past. Walnut around home look plentiful.
P!

Happiness makes up in height for what it lacks in length.

--Robert Frost--
arkieready
Arkansas Preppers Network
Arkansas Preppers Network

Postby Naughty n Nice » Mon Oct 13, 2014 6:50 pm

When I was a kid, we used two bricks to remove the hulls from the walnuts.
a pair of rubber gloves would have been nice.
The sap can be used for stain - old boards, or as a de scent tool used to remove human scent from metal animal traps. It's also good to put on rubber boots when you go archery hunting, the deer will be attracted to your footsteps, yet won't be turned off by human scent.
You just have to make sure to keep the boots away from animals -pets, or the house.
My friend kept his boots in an old shed and only put them on when he went hunting.
One treatment would last a whole season..
We do it nice because we do it twice...
Naughty n Nice

Postby bacpacker1513 » Mon Oct 13, 2014 8:30 pm

Walnuts around here are as good as they have been in a while. Other mast appears to be very good as well around here.
Greater Love hath no man than this, that he lay down his life for a friend.
John 15:13
bacpacker1513
Tennessee Preppers Network
Tennessee Preppers Network

Return to Northeast