• Advertisement

Join Your States Prepper Network. Click Here

I'm surprised

Wild foods, edible plants and herbs found in the Plains and Midwestern States

I'm surprised

Postby PREPPEDVET » Wed Feb 08, 2017 2:46 pm

That no one on this forum has brought up the use of paw paw trees. I recently bought about 15 acres that is FULL of these trees. For those that aren't familiar with these trees, they are in under growth tree that produces banana like fruit but do so with a much higher nutrient content including Vitamin C.

https://www.starkbros.com/growing-guide ... ut-pawpaws

The reason i bring this up is because we are approaching spring time and it's the best time to transplant these trees.
PREPPEDVET

Re: I'm surprised

Postby bacpacker1513 » Wed Feb 08, 2017 8:31 pm

I have a couple of trees myself. They are young, but I hope to get fruit in the next year or two. My uncle had one next to his driveway, when we came in with a load of hay I was always picking me a couple to eat on while heading to the barn. Good stuff.

What area of the country are you in? I'm wondering what the growing area for Paw-Paws is.
Greater Love hath no man than this, that he lay down his life for a friend.
John 15:13
bacpacker1513
Tennessee Preppers Network
Tennessee Preppers Network

Postby arkieready » Wed Feb 08, 2017 8:40 pm

P!

Happiness makes up in height for what it lacks in length.

--Robert Frost--
arkieready
Arkansas Preppers Network
Arkansas Preppers Network

Postby PREPPEDVET » Thu Feb 09, 2017 12:36 pm

bacpacker1513 wrote:I have a couple of trees myself. They are young, but I hope to get fruit in the next year or two. My uncle had one next to his driveway, when we came in with a load of hay I was always picking me a couple to eat on while heading to the barn. Good stuff.

What area of the country are you in? I'm wondering what the growing area for Paw-Paws is.

I'm in the Ohio River Valley. the parcel of land I bought has been in my family since 1901. It's never been logged or messed with. we've got a ton of the trees. In a good year, i could probably pick up, 250 50 lbs off each of the trees, depending on the size, the majority though are slightly bigger than average. I just get overwhelmed with the sheer number of the paw paws. As for fruit growing, I moved 2 of the trees to right behind my house, in open sunlight, they're about 5 years old now and just starting to really come on, the fruit on these 2 trees are much larger than the wild, native ones in the woods. However, the number of them is significantly less per tree so it equals out.
PREPPEDVET

Return to Plains