• Advertisement
New Forum Rules
Please Read

My new 100-year-old White Rotary treadle sewing machine

Tips and ideas on how to make the most of what we have....or what others have thrown away.

Re: My new 100-year-old White Rotary treadle sewing machine

Postby Well Waterboy » Thu Dec 20, 2012 4:16 pm

I tried again for an outside shot of the quilt (it's WILD out there today), with the following result:

Well Waterboy

Postby FeistyWench » Thu Jan 17, 2013 9:11 pm

Mrs. Waterboy, your quilt is super pretty!
FeistyWench

Postby Anna » Wed May 08, 2013 1:27 pm

I learned to sew on a Minnesota treadle that had been my great-grandmother's. Mom still has it although it hasn't been used in 50+ years due to not being able to find needles to fit. I used a Singer treadle on loan from a cousin for many years. I now have a National treadle that does not work properly although I think a repair person could adjust/fix it if I had the $'s to have it done. I'm debating between repairing the old machine and replacing it with a new Janome treadle head. Although I am keeping my eyes open hoping to find a Singer round bobbin treadle head which would be my first choice.

One thing I learned early on with treadle machines is not to make a mistake sewing because the stitches are so tight they are the pits to rip out!!!
Anna

Postby pelenaka » Wed May 08, 2013 8:33 pm

You are an artist.
pelenaka
New York Preppers Network
New York Preppers Network

Postby Calimom » Mon Oct 14, 2013 2:20 pm

Has anyone heard of or know about a Zenith treadle machine? I have one that is in a beautiful refinished cabinet(Mom refinished it)but it's missing the belt for the treadle and even though the machine looks great(I have no idea on what it needs besides a needle) I sew and would love to use it!
Calimom

Postby catfeet » Mon Oct 14, 2013 2:59 pm

There were lots of name brands. What you should be concerned about is the type of bobbin - some are still in use, some are not. There are, typically, vibrating shuttle bobbins, #66 bobbins, and rotating bobbins. There may be some other minor variations in there, but on average, these are the general types. If you've got one of these, with the exception of the V/S bobbins, you can get new. Some older bobbins are available for the V/S types, but they come in all different lengths, so it's more challenging. You could try inquiring over at TreadleOn - http://www.treadleon.net/

HTH! :D
catfeet
Vermont Preppers Network
Vermont Preppers Network

Postby PatrioticStabilist » Sun May 04, 2014 1:07 pm

I had my moms old Singer Treadle, somehow it got knocked off or something in a move and ruined it. Just made me sick, it still sewed
good before that.

Now I have all the fancy dancy ones, serger, professional machine, cover stitch for knits, and just a regular Kenmore, 2 of them are very old.

I just cut out PJ's for DD, 3 blouses, and a pair of slacks for me, going to cut out a pair of shorts too. Also have a light weight fleece top, and another blouse and shorts cut out down stairs and some repairs to do on things. I'm cutting and ironing interfacing in before
I take them to the basement and start sewing. I have stacks of fabric and several hundred patterns, all bought on sale so not a lot of money in them.

I sew sporadically, when I do its like now, I will make enough clothes to last for awhile. I made a long nightgown and robe almost 10 years ago I wear every summer, the fabric was a quality $1 a yard stuff bought from Walmart and still looks like new. I bought the whole bolt so have more. I would wonder their fabric department and buy the quality stuff on sale. They still have some, but not like they used to and much higher. Ironically I saw some American made fabric and its less expensive then the stuff from overseas, it figures.
PatrioticStabilist

Postby raindropz » Wed Sep 24, 2014 6:18 am

I am thinking to learn sewing in my free time. I have resigned from my job and it is very boring for me to spend the day time without any work. When I was young I was interested in drawing new designs. So thinking to do something creative.

Postby FussyOldHen » Thu Sep 25, 2014 12:21 am

If you'd resigned from your job, a person would think you wouldn't still be contaminating forums with your
SPAM
FussyOldHen

Postby arkieready » Sun Sep 28, 2014 7:15 am

I don't have a treadle machine, mine is a 1927 mason (white) rotary. I've been looking at it as how to make it me powered if the power is gone. Whether electricity goes out, or the motor quits.
Not sure I could do that with my other 3 machines. All old, electric ones. Have to look at them when I get back home.
P!

Proverbs 21:20 There is treasure to be desired and oil in the dwelling of the wise; but a foolish man spendeth it up.
arkieready
Arkansas Preppers Network
Arkansas Preppers Network

Previous

Return to Reduce, Reuse, Recycle