• Advertisement

Backup power for Car radio

General HAM Radio topics. A great place for both experienced operators and for newbies to get started and ask questions

Backup power for Car radio

Postby woodchipper518 » Sun Jan 07, 2018 12:53 pm

I want to put together a backup battery for my car radio. I have a new BTech UV25x4 to mount in my car. It uses a car lighter for power (at this time). I want to be able to use my radio remotely from my car. Does anybody have a simple solution that doesn't weigh a ton? I'd like to keep this in a comms go bag in my car so the ability to recharge a battery would be nice. Ultimately I would like to add n option for solar charging too.

At this point I'm either going to build one of those ammo box chargers I've seen on YouTube or buy one of the charger power pack 3in1 things from harbor Freight. Neither of which are small or lightweight. Seems like there are other solutions I'm missing.

I'll also need an antenna for remote Tx. Looking at a J-pole type that can be deployed. Suggestions?

Thx still a newbie.
Is today really SHTF day? Good thing I quit drinking and smoking yesterday. Keep Calm and Reload.
Kilo Golf Five Quebec Papa Romeo (KG5QPR)
woodchipper518
Texas Preppers Network
Texas Preppers Network

Location: North Texas - Denton County / Collin County line / 380 corridor

Re: Backup power for Car radio

Postby Fullmoon » Sun Jan 07, 2018 5:17 pm

Most car audio systems operate on 12 volts DC. The smallest and lightest weight power source would be a motorcycle battery. Any tape type or telescoping portable radio/boom box antenna can be connected to the radio with a cheap adapter from any electronics store. A small 35 watt solar panel, 6" x 10" is big enough to top off a car or motorcycle battery. I have a similar system set up in my shop and it works good.
Fullmoon

Postby Norman11 » Sun Jan 07, 2018 10:50 pm

Woodchkipper,
Fullmoon has good Idea with the exception of the motorcycle battery. The motorcycle battery is made as a starting battery, It is only good for full load for a few minutes then it is thru and once you run it down it will NOT come back Even with a good charger. Look for a battery that has long life .A sealed lead acid like the electric scooter battery. It needs to be able to be run down yet come back to full charge. It will be the heaviest thing on your radio to go.

Norman11
Norman11

Postby Dirk Williams » Tue Jan 09, 2018 11:44 am

I use a smallish solar panal, to keep my landcruiser and my rat rod trucks batteries topped off. Also use a regular 100v panal to,keep the trailer battery package topped off. Seems to work well.

We're pretty good about battery maintance aswell. Perhaps consider a double battery system. Your vehicle should have no problems keeping both charged if you drive it daily.

Dirk
Dirk Williams

Postby danthman114 » Tue Jan 09, 2018 1:21 pm

as in cb radio or other? midland has a handheld cb that operates on both aa batteries and plugs into the 12v cigarette socket...https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0000 ... UTF8&psc=1
danthman114

Postby woodchipper518 » Tue Jan 09, 2018 4:45 pm

Thanks for the CB suggestion I have no added one to my preps yet.

My question related to a BTech UV25x4 amateur radio. It runs off of a cigarette lighter receptical. I'm leaning toward a car 4-1 power pack but don't like the size. I've also looked at small portable powe chargers such as

https://www.amazon.com/ACOPOWER-Portable-Generator-Storage-Lithium/dp/B01N80PJVK/ref=sr_1_2_sspa?ie=UTF8&qid=1515533614&sr=8-2-spons&keywords=paxcess+portable+generator&psc=1

There are several Chinese versions of this one. Still thinking a simple battery and female cigarette light hookup will suffice. A total solution can come later.
Is today really SHTF day? Good thing I quit drinking and smoking yesterday. Keep Calm and Reload.
Kilo Golf Five Quebec Papa Romeo (KG5QPR)
woodchipper518
Texas Preppers Network
Texas Preppers Network

Location: North Texas - Denton County / Collin County line / 380 corridor

Return to HAM Radio Open Discussions