• Advertisement

Combat Veteran

If you are retired or active duty military, APN salutes you for your service. This is your place to share your thoughts, ideas, experiences and skills.

Moderators: mmpaints, BATTLEBOY SURPLUS

Re: Combat Veteran

Postby 3ADScout » Sat Dec 03, 2011 4:31 pm

Panzerfahre, I am not naive enough to think that looting won't take place. But like you said education will be swift and a few swinging examples will be enough to drive the point home very quickly. I think break-ins, muggings, and all examples of theft will increase since these types of crimes are easier to keep from being detected. That's what I think (hope for the best) but I do stock hundreads of rounds of OO buck too (prepare for the worst).
3ADScout

Postby OIFveteran » Wed Feb 01, 2012 4:56 am

3ADScout wrote:"Total Chaos" is a myth. People will just be trying to survive and that doesn't mean by necessarily breaking all societial norms. The vast majority of people know stealing is wrong, whether pre-SHTF or post. Most will lay low. I am not saying that there won't be preditors but they will only last a while to someone dispatches them. Think folks, we have seen a number of government collapse and the Hollywood riots and chaso don't happen. Again I'm not saying we shouldn't be ready to defend what we have but I think our basic survival needs of food, shelter, water may be bigger issues.

Absolutely correct. Most people will search for soft targets if they are indeed going to commit a theft rather than go for someone whose well armed. A lot of good a free meal is if your stomach was blasted apart by 00 buckshot. Also 1/36 IN, 1st BDE, 1st AD Iraq 2003-2004........PCS'd...... 1/327 IN, 1st BDE, 101st Airborne Div Iraq 2005-2006 then later again 2007-2008 .......Also, is that 1st Airborne Division a national guard unit because I've never even heard of that division at all and can't find anything on it? Or is that part of the UK army?
"Educate and Inform the whole mass of the people..... They are the only sure reliance for the preservation of our liberty." -Thomas Jefferson
OIFveteran

Postby WyoDutch » Wed Feb 01, 2012 8:45 am

Looks to me like the Afghani Militia is doing pretty well against the most expensive military force in the history of the world. Attitude and dedication makes a great deal of difference

WASHINGTON — Taliban-led insurgents in Afghanistan have devised ways to cripple and even destroy the expensive armored vehicles that offer U.S. forces the best protection against roadside bombs by using increasingly large explosive charges and rocket-propelled grenades, according to U.S. soldiers and defense officials.

At least eight American troops have been killed this year in attacks on so-called Mine-Resistant Ambush-Protected vehicles, or MRAPs, and 40 more have been wounded, said a senior U.S. military official who, like others interviewed on the issue, declined to be further identified because of the issue's sensitivity.

The insurgents' success in attacking the hulking machines, which can cost as much as $1 million each, underscores their ability to counter the advanced hardware that the U.S. military and its allies are deploying in their struggle to gain the upper hand in the war, which entered its ninth year last month.
The attacks also raise questions about how vulnerable a new, lighter MRAP, the M-ATV, which is now being shipped to Afghanistan, are to the massive explosive charges that Taliban-led insurgents have been using against its bigger cousin.

The insurgents are also hitting MRAPs with rocket-propelled grenades that can penetrate their steel armor, according to U.S troops in Afghanistan, several of whom showed McClatchy a photograph of a hole that one of the projectiles had punched in the hull of an MRAP. The Pentagon has spent more than $26.8 billion to develop and build three versions of the largest MRAPs, totaling some 16,000 vehicles, mostly for the Army and Marine Corps, according to an August report by the nonpartisan Congressional Research Service.

Another $5.4 billion is being spent to produce 5,244 M-ATVs, the smaller version that U.S. defense officials contend offers as much protection as the large models do, but is more maneuverable and better suited to Afghanistan's dirt tracks and narrow mountain roads. "The traditional MRAP was having real problems . . . off road in Afghanistan," said Pentagon spokesman Geoff Morrell. "And clearly we have to do a lot of work off-road. And these new vehicles will provide our forces the ability to travel more safely off road — certainly off paved roads — than they would have been able to do with other vehicles."

Defense officials acknowledged the growing problem of successful attacks on MRAPs, and said the U.S. military is constantly developing improvements for the vehicle that include better sensors and tactics. "It's not all about the armor. We can't build something that is impervious to everything," said Navy Capt. Jack Henzlik, a spokesman for the U.S. Central Command, which oversees operations in Iraq and Afghanistan. "We are using a comprehensive strategy to try to provide for the protection of our forces."

The issue was the subject of a high-level meeting convened on Wednesday by Defense Secretary Robert Gates, who made the production of MRAPs his highest priority in 2007 as U.S. troops in Iraq were suffering massive casualties from roadside bomb attacks. The use of powerful explosive charges against MRAPs "is a problem that he (Gates) is keenly aware of, very concerned about, and is determined to make sure this building is doing everything it can to combat," Morrell said. "We have never advertised MRAPs or M-ATVs as a silver bullet for the IED (improvised explosive device) problem. This is but one element of a vast array of capabilities that we need to bring to bear to protect our forces."

However, retired Army Col. Douglas A. MacGregor, a former armored cavalry commander and combat veteran and an expert on armor warfare, said that vehicles such as the MRAP have "very limited utility" in a war against a guerrilla group such as the Taliban.

"The notion of a wheeled armored constabulary force as a prescription for a close combat situation is nonsense," he said.
U.S. troops rely on the MRAP's V-shaped hull, which is designed to deflect explosive blasts, and heavy armored plating to protect them against the landmines and IEDs that are causing most American combat deaths in Afghanistan.

You know times are bad in America when GW Bush's presidency starts looking good..
WyoDutch
Wyoming Preppers Network
Wyoming Preppers Network

Postby OIFveteran » Wed Feb 01, 2012 4:52 pm

URGENT!!!!! PLEASE READ!!!!

jwg_7781 wrote:I was in the U.S. Army...1st Airborne 509 Infantry...I was in Iraq in 2004 & 2005...I have read from the network for a year and I see a lot of talk about the SHTF situations...under these circumstances how many preppers have had any military training and how important will battle drills become just to get by? If we are talking about a total breakdown in government and services there will be total chaos. How many preppers are trained to use their firearms as weapons? It takes a lot of salt to have a successful gun battle/fight. As a combat veteran, I have given the basic training of combat drills to my family and improvised to fit everyone in. All the food in the world stocked in your house or BOL means nothing if you can't protect/keep it. Also, skill is better than gear...everyone should know how to improvise or make everything that they need in case the gear is lost or compromised or just breaks.STAY READY

BUSTED!!!!! This guy is a damn poser. Saying he was in the U.S. Army but then says he was in a British unit. Yeah, thats right 509th of the 1st Airborne division is a UK military unit. NOT U.S.!!!!!!! I was wondering why I never heard of that unit before. God I hate guys like that. Looks like he did a google search and didn't read the entire article before "putting his foot in his mouth". This may seem like a small offense to some. However, if you have ever served, you know where I am coming from. You aint gotta lie to kick it man!!!! Shame on jwg_7781 fro posting that, for lack of a better word, bullshit. He just lost all credibilty in my eyes for doing so.
"Educate and Inform the whole mass of the people..... They are the only sure reliance for the preservation of our liberty." -Thomas Jefferson
OIFveteran

Postby panzerfahre » Wed Feb 01, 2012 9:35 pm

Actually, Alpha and Bravo companies of the 509th were deployed to Iraq in 2004 and 2005.
So sayth wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/509th_Infa ... ted_States)
CO and B CO 1-509th Infantry Deployed in June 2004 in support of OIF to Baghdad, Iraq. The two airborne infantry companies were attached to 2nd Brigade, 10th Mountain Division. A CO was attached to 2-14 IN and B CO was attached to 4-31 IN. Both Companies returned from combat in March 2005.
Always open to meeting Missouri preppers.
Contact through this forum.
panzerfahre

Postby OIFveteran » Wed Feb 01, 2012 11:15 pm

panzerfahre wrote:Actually, Alpha and Bravo companies of the 509th were deployed to Iraq in 2004 and 2005.
So sayth wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/509th_Infa ... ted_States)
CO and B CO 1-509th Infantry Deployed in June 2004 in support of OIF to Baghdad, Iraq. The two airborne infantry companies were attached to 2nd Brigade, 10th Mountain Division. A CO was attached to 2-14 IN and B CO was attached to 4-31 IN. Both Companies returned from combat in March 2005.

There may be a 509th infantry regiment stationed a t Ft. Polk LA for OPFOR in JRTC but not its not part of the 1st Airbrone division. Go ahead and look up the entire keyword rather than just 509th. We have never even had a 1st Airborne division for the U.S. army!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Google 1st airborne division United States and see what comes up. Thats how I came to find this a bit fishy.
OIFveteran

Postby panzerfahre » Thu Feb 02, 2012 1:02 am

I understand. I was just making sure that hadn't been overlooked. I'd hate to call a guy out and be wrong. But, I do agree, there are fewer things lower than someone claiming honors they haven't earned.

p
Always open to meeting Missouri preppers.
Contact through this forum.
panzerfahre

Postby Tom Bergstrand » Thu Feb 02, 2012 1:13 am

Perhaps he is claiming 1st of the 509th. That sounds legit. It would be written 1/509. I believe that would be part of the 101st. AIRBORNE. Which BTW is no longer AIRBORNE. They are Airmobile which indicates helicoptor repelling. The AIRBORNE says that they are "too scared to jump, too lazy to walk". It's all in fun though. Let's see if the guy can come back with something better. If he was 101st I can vet him in a minute.
Tom in Kingman Arizona
Oath Keeper #005181
Kingman Lodge #22 F&AM Kingman Arizona
U.S. Paratrooper
Tom Bergstrand
Arizona Preppers Network
Arizona Preppers Network

Postby USAFRETSGT » Thu Feb 02, 2012 9:21 am

23 years USAF combat engineers, took some incomming and small arms in Iraq but def not combat. I built airfields, runways and hardened building/shelters. Went thru a few Army CST and CLS. My experience in CQB is low crawling to the case of Miller Lite and flanking the bottle of cheap vodka. Most of my tactics training was airfield defense, very little offense stuff. So I am comfortable with my in place defense/security builds and the defensive aspects of my home, yard and surronding areas.

I worked a lot with the Army and Marines, mostly supporting their door kicking and flying missions. I did build a few firing ranges for the grunts and they let me shoot with them alot as thanks building them. I did learn a lot from them.
USAFRETSGT

Postby OIFveteran » Thu Feb 02, 2012 11:32 am

Tom Bergstrand wrote:Perhaps he is claiming 1st of the 509th. That sounds legit. It would be written 1/509. I believe that would be part of the 101st. AIRBORNE. Which BTW is no longer AIRBORNE. They are Airmobile which indicates helicoptor repelling. The AIRBORNE says that they are "too scared to jump, too lazy to walk". It's all in fun though. Let's see if the guy can come back with something better. If he was 101st I can vet him in a minute.

Watch your mouth sweetheart!! I am a 101st veteran with airborne wings (five jump chump though) and I will say yes we are no longer Airborne, but that is because we evolved to keep up with the demands of the battlefield when they introduced the invention of the helicopter and subsequently became air assualt. Airborne troops are limited to landing in open areas that are mostly flat. Air Assault Infantry can be placed anywhere in the world and on any terrain with minimal loss of equipment I might add. Which is why we have fought in every engagement since WWII . You can't say that about the 82nd can you? Its like someone with a musket talking trash about the AR-15. They are just jealous that they are limited in their uses as opposed to the 101st. 509th was part of the 82nd as well. It is widely known that the 82nd is referred to as a dog and pony show these days among active duty soldiers. Believe me, I have seen plenty of 82nd guys PCS to 101st and the only thing they are good at is smoking joe and making their lives miserable. Never mind setting up a patrol base or knowing your battle drills I guess. I will take tactical ability and knowledge over ego anyday of the week. Also, they havent done many 15 months deployments either like the rest of the army. The only benefit they offer is cheap mobilty, but it comes with the con of the high probability of losing equipment during drops. In reality the 82nd has been on the chopping block for quite sometime to be turned into a series of Stryker brigades.However, as usual in military, some of the brass is dragging their feet to make the change only in the name of tradition. When I relieved A co. the 1/505th PIR in Bayji Iraq, my counterparts told me that they didn't go out beyond the 600 meters when doing R&S patrols and wondered why they couldn't control the city. WELL DUH!!!!!! So your statement about us not wanting to walk is the exact opposite in my opinion. Besides everyone's walking distance has been limited since they have doubled the weight of gear among each and every soldier in the last 8 years across the board because the media claimed we weren't issued proper body armor. I'd rather be able to move faster than be somewhat bullet proof when IED's are the biggest threat as opposed bullets. Plus the 1/505th lost their CSM due to an IED being placed right outside the entrance (within 3 meters) to the FOB (someone became complacent and wasn't pulling security while on guard at that ECP). Thats (Censored word. I'm a potty mouth) inexcusable in my opinion.
OIFveteran

Postby 3ADScout » Thu Feb 02, 2012 3:06 pm

Tom Bergstrand wrote:Perhaps he is claiming 1st of the 509th. That sounds legit. It would be written 1/509. I believe that would be part of the 101st. AIRBORNE. Which BTW is no longer AIRBORNE. They are Airmobile which indicates helicoptor repelling. The AIRBORNE says that they are "too scared to jump, too lazy to walk". It's all in fun though. Let's see if the guy can come back with something better. If he was 101st I can vet him in a minute.

Well hey Tom at least you didn't call us "Dopes on a Rope". The proper term is Air Assault. Also Air Assualt entails a lot more than just repelling out of a helicopter. I did a lot of sling-load operations verse sliding down a rope.
3ADScout

Postby 3ADScout » Thu Feb 02, 2012 3:16 pm

Absolutely correct. Most people will search for soft targets if they are indeed going to commit a theft rather than go for someone whose well armed. A lot of good a free meal is if your stomach was blasted apart by 00 buckshot. Also 1/36 IN, 1st BDE, 1st AD Iraq 2003-2004........PCS'd...... 1/327 IN, 1st BDE, 101st Airborne Div Iraq 2005-2006 then later again 2007-2008 .......Also, is that 1st Airborne Division a national guard unit because I've never even heard of that division at all and can't find anything on it? Or is that part of the UK army?[/quote]

OIFVet: Sounds like we may have ate chow in some of the same chowhalls. I was in 3rd BDE at Freidberg, spent time in Operation Desert Shield Storm with 3rd AD. My first permenant duty state was Fort Campbell with the 2/502 Strike Force (1988/89). If memory serves me the 327 was the Rockasans? (probably butchered the spelling). I was at a birthday party about a year ago and one of the people there was also stationed at Freidburg Germany, asked me if I have been back to Germany to see the old post and I said "no". He told me to go onto YouTube and someone drove around the old post with a video camera and put it on YouTube. Good Memories.
3ADScout

Postby jwg_7781 » Thu Feb 02, 2012 3:51 pm

Go check out the pic i just uploaded and notice the 509 on my pocket. We are most known for JRTC's OPFOR, however, in 2004 we deployed with the 10th MTN. I never claimed 1st division, re-read my post. It is the 1st Airborne BATT of the 509th PIR. There was a lot of sh!t talk from you and I am not full of bullshit. Instead of making yourself looking like a fool you should have private messaged me and got it cleared up. But Oh well, if you need to see my DD214 or my jump log with more than the 5 you get at the school i will be more than happy to link up with you and show them to you.
STAY READY
jwg_7781

Postby jwg_7781 » Thu Feb 02, 2012 3:58 pm

Posted some pics, I hope OIFveteran will enjoy them.
STAY READY
jwg_7781

Postby jwg_7781 » Thu Feb 02, 2012 4:29 pm

URGENT!!!!!!!!!PLEASE READ!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

OIFveteran made assumptions about my post and looks a fool. He is BUSTED for being a douch. He should have contacted me and I would have been more than happy to clarify any questions he may have had...its all in good fun though. GO GERONIMOS...AIRBORNE, ALL THE WAY...1st Battalion Airborne 509th Parachute Infantry Regiment.

jwg_7781 James Garrett
STAY READY
jwg_7781

PreviousNext

Return to Military